1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Build

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler Build
Posted: Nov 10, 2013 at 16:37 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
sean-s-1991 wrote:
Looks tidy. Polish the swingarm and get some original parts on it. I'll sell you forks bars and stem if ur interested?

Sean

Thanks man.
I'll keep that in mind.
I've got a lot of parts laying around in the shop. I'm gonna see what I can scrap together with what I have. I don't know if it will be all original.
I saw this in the Buy/Sell and kinda like it. I might go orange.
photo

Its classic, don't ruin it. Most people on pinkbike don't have a clue... Don't repaint it

Posted: Nov 10, 2013 at 23:41 Quote
Well, the paint on the front triangle is pretty roached, but I guess I really don't need to do anything with it.
I've got a thing for orange bikes, but I suppose I could maybe strip and polish it.
But then it's gonna look like yours. lol

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 1:30 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
Well, the paint on the front triangle is pretty roached, but I guess I really don't need to do anything with it.
I've got a thing for orange bikes, but I suppose I could maybe strip and polish it.

You say it like its a bad thing Wink

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 9:40 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
poolguy55 wrote:

Not at all man. If anything, it's an inspiration.
I might just leave it, since it will just be a backup bike. I'm guessing more often than not, less experienced riders will be on it, and I'd hate for new paint/polished frame to get nackered up too quickly.

I got it torn apart last night. Bearings seem to be in pretty decent shape. Surprising for how old the frame is and how mistreated it was when I got it (I rescued it from the side of a shed at one of my customers homes. Who knows how long it had been sitting out there).
I wish every suspension bearing was as easy to get out as those were.

Sorry man. This is your build thread. I don't want to hijack. Confused

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 10:54 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
sean-s-1991 wrote:
poolguy55 wrote:

Not at all man. If anything, it's an inspiration.
I might just leave it, since it will just be a backup bike. I'm guessing more often than not, less experienced riders will be on it, and I'd hate for new paint/polished frame to get nackered up too quickly.

I got it torn apart last night. Bearings seem to be in pretty decent shape. Surprising for how old the frame is and how mistreated it was when I got it (I rescued it from the side of a shed at one of my customers homes. Who knows how long it had been sitting out there).
I wish every suspension bearing was as easy to get out as those were.

Sorry man. This is your build thread. I don't want to hijack. Confused

Nah that's cool man, no one else is writing on it Wink and its a great bike if you ever get round to fixing it up. Will take all the abuse you can throw at it

Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 19:38 Quote
A few hours, some paint stripper, steel wool, and a polish ball....
It literally looks brand new. Any suggestions for new decals?
Heckler1
Heckler2

I know the pictures are a little busy, but the wife was yelling at me to come in for dinner. lol lol

I even found some period specific cranks and rear derailleur for it already.

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 at 0:31 Quote
poolguy55 wrote:
A few hours, some paint stripper, steel wool, and a polish ball....
It literally looks brand new. Any suggestions for new decals?
Heckler1
Heckler2

I know the pictures are a little busy, but the wife was yelling at me to come in for dinner. lol lol

I even found some period specific cranks and rear derailleur for it already.

Wow, that looks amzing, nice job Salute

The best thing to of done was to get the graphics made before you stripped the bike because someone would have to use the originals as a guideline so they can replecate them. There are people out there who sell repro graphics but I'd say its unlikely they would have anything on file for this frame, so they would have to be drawn up which can be expensive. Best thing you can do it go to a signshop (one of those that do car graphics) with pictures and measurements of the graphics. Try a framebuilders and see what they suggest. I've got argos cycles 5 minutes from my house so that's quite useful.

Sean

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 at 6:41 Quote
Thanks man.
I think it turned out pretty good.
Fortunately, I've been involved with auto racing for a long time and am friends with a few graphics guys. I've had them do the decals for a couple of my other builds. We'll see what we come up with.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 8:02 Quote
Ridiculously beautiful Heckler Sean, hope to see you cutting about on it in Bris sometime soon Big Grin

Looks like a great start too, poolguy55

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 8:59 Quote
Teamhobson wrote:
Ridiculously beautiful Heckler Sean, hope to see you cutting about on it in Bris sometime soon Big Grin

Where abouts in bristol you from mate? And yeah keep an eye out for me on it tup

Sean

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 9:40 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
Teamhobson wrote:

Where abouts in bristol you from mate? And yeah keep an eye out for me on it tup

Sean

From Dunfermline, Scotland originally. Moved to Bristol just over a year ago and live in Easton now. Shouldnt be too hard to spot, not like theres many about haha.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 at 12:08 Quote
Teamhobson wrote:
sean-s-1991 wrote:
Teamhobson wrote:

Sean

From Dunfermline, Scotland originally. Moved to Bristol just over a year ago and live in Easton now. Shouldnt be too hard to spot, not like theres many about haha.

Oh right, you live at the somali end of bristol... I used to work at the playground down the road in st pauls. the Santa cruz was always being rode around there by me or the local kids. You might of seen it, there can't be many of these bikes around tup

Posted: Nov 21, 2013 at 8:51 Quote
Anywayy... No real changes since the last update, I've just fitted the shock the other way around, making it easier to adjust while riding and dropped the saddle a couple inches

1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
Fox Vanilla Shock. i finds it more conveniant to use the other way round

Posted: Nov 21, 2013 at 12:42 Quote
Here is my old Heckler. This was great and I sold it to a friend.
My old Heckler

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018115
Mobile Version of Website