whats your most perfered downhill tire??

PB Forum :: Downhill
whats your most perfered downhill tire??
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 9, 2013 at 15:39 Quote
Im just wondering what the rest of the world likes to ride because im lookin into a new set of tires soon

Posted: Mar 9, 2013 at 15:42 Quote
Schwalbe muddy mary

Posted: Mar 9, 2013 at 17:22 Quote
i,m running 2.35 Intense Intruders and liking them a lot , also running them with a lot more air pressure then i have with other tires and no complaints work great in the mudd rocks and roots and they work well in drier tacker conditions as well

Posted: Mar 9, 2013 at 18:44 Quote
Continental Der Barons are my favourite. The best traction I have found in both wet and dry conditions. You'll be flying across wet rock bluffs and roots while your friends are just trying not to wipe out. I keep them on all winter in the wet and mud, and then leave them on all summer in the dusty bike parks. Also, it has the stickiest rubber yet lasts the longest. They really are amazing. They don't roll the fastest though. I prefer them to the der kaiser in just about every way, although they're not that different. The der kaiser's have a more ramped leading edge which would presumably roll faster, but I couldn't tell the difference. They also have a more connected tread so they can't conform to the ground as well, and noticably don't grip as well. Still pretty good though.

I've owned and/or ridden the continental der baron's, continental der kaiser's, minion dhf/dhr 60a, minion dhf (dhf on the rear also) in 3c, and bontrager g4's. I've also owned a lot of xc tires, and the schwalbe fat alberts are the only schwalbe's I've owned. The minion 60a's are just too hard. I slid out of control in all types of conditions with those tires, both on wet surfaces, and dry corners. The g4's are by far the worst tires I've ever tried. They roll fast, but that should be a bonus in a dh tire. Everything else was horrible. They were unpredictable, and when they break away there's no warning and you're done. The minion dhf 3c's roll fast and corner pretty good, but I found they have an edgy feeling in corners that gets exceeded easily and starts to slide, especially on hard ground. I also wouldn't run a dhf on the rear again, because they don't brake quickly enough. So you can't attack a steep fast section with a slow section or slow corner at the bottom, for example. The 60a dhr braked better. I took the minion dhf 3c's off before they were even close to being worn out, because I simply didn't like them that much.

I would like to eventually try the schwalbe muddy mary's, but the only schwalbe's I've owned were the fat albert's (an all mountain tire) and they rolled slow, didn't grip that great, wore out quickly, and were expensive. Needless to say I was not impressed, so I've been reluctant to buy a pair of muddy mary's.

Oh, I've also ridden the specialized butcher's a couple times, but I don't have enough time on them for a critique.

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 3:38 Quote
Muddy Marys , a true do every thing tire

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 11:37 Quote
Dry conditions Schwable Wicked Will

Wet conditions - Muddy marrys.

Just got some g5s to try out but havent had a chance to ride them yet.

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 12:25 Quote
I'm a big fan of the maxxis range although a lot of the lads I ride with like Muddy Mary's and Dirty Dans
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 ST are unbelievable in the dry but I used them in the wet at Bringewood yesterday and they were shit.
Swamp thing 2.5 ST, people moan about them but I rate them highly. They are as good in the dry as they are in the wet. Not a patch on the minions in the dry though.
Wet scream 2.5 ST were good at Dunkeld in 4" of crap but elsewhere they are excessive. I've just made my own thread asking people about cutting them down as they are supposed to be mint in all conditions cut down.
Hope this is a help

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 12:37 Quote
Dry or hard - big Betty

Damp or loose - minion dhf dhr both 42a run the rear pressure slightly higher

Wet - screams cut or un cut your choice

I agree with the jfyfe comments. About minions feeling a little "on edge" but if you can live with that they do grip. I might swap out for a Mary at some point to try them as some of the folk I ride with rave about them.

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 14:07 Quote
jfyfe wrote:
Continental Der Barons are my favourite. The best traction I have found in both wet and dry conditions. You'll be flying across wet rock bluffs and roots while your friends are just trying not to wipe out. I keep them on all winter in the wet and mud, and then leave them on all summer in the dusty bike parks. Also, it has the stickiest rubber yet lasts the longest. They really are amazing. They don't roll the fastest though. I prefer them to the der kaiser in just about every way, although they're not that different. The der kaiser's have a more ramped leading edge which would presumably roll faster, but I couldn't tell the difference. They also have a more connected tread so they can't conform to the ground as well, and noticably don't grip as well. Still pretty good though.

I've owned and/or ridden the continental der baron's, continental der kaiser's, minion dhf/dhr 60a, minion dhf (dhf on the rear also) in 3c, and bontrager g4's. I've also owned a lot of xc tires, and the schwalbe fat alberts are the only schwalbe's I've owned. The minion 60a's are just too hard. I slid out of control in all types of conditions with those tires, both on wet surfaces, and dry corners. The g4's are by far the worst tires I've ever tried. They roll fast, but that should be a bonus in a dh tire. Everything else was horrible. They were unpredictable, and when they break away there's no warning and you're done. The minion dhf 3c's roll fast and corner pretty good, but I found they have an edgy feeling in corners that gets exceeded easily and starts to slide, especially on hard ground. I also wouldn't run a dhf on the rear again, because they don't brake quickly enough. So you can't attack a steep fast section with a slow section or slow corner at the bottom, for example. The 60a dhr braked better. I took the minion dhf 3c's off before they were even close to being worn out, because I simply didn't like them that much.

I would like to eventually try the schwalbe muddy mary's, but the only schwalbe's I've owned were the fat albert's (an all mountain tire) and they rolled slow, didn't grip that great, wore out quickly, and were expensive. Needless to say I was not impressed, so I've been reluctant to buy a pair of muddy mary's.

Oh, I've also ridden the specialized butcher's a couple times, but I don't have enough time on them for a critique.

Sounds like your riding style just doesn't suite minion style tires. After switching away from minions I will probably never go back, although it was the first "good" tire I owned.

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 15:42 Quote
how are
the maxxis high rollers for dry conditions and bike parks ( also usually dry to somewhat soft tacky conditions) ????

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 15:51 Quote
i have a 2.4 highroller 2 on the back and a 2.5 minion dhf on the front (both 3C compound) and i love them. i rode them a lot at Highland on hard pack, sticky trails and at Attitash on true loamy loose dirt and they were great the whole time

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 16:42 Quote
i went from a hr2 to a muddy mary, the mm is so much grippier

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 16:46 Quote
north96 wrote:
i have a 2.4 highroller 2 on the back and a 2.5 minion dhf on the front (both 3C compound) and i love them. i rode them a lot at Highland on hard pack, sticky trails and at Attitash on true loamy loose dirt and they were great the whole time

Would you recommend putting a highroller front and back?

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 19:19 Quote
mtbrider02 wrote:
north96 wrote:

Most people will put that only in the rear. I would put something grippier up front

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 5:22 Quote
mtbrider02 wrote:
north96 wrote:

I dont like using highroller on the front because it isnt as grippy as the minion. I keep the highroller on the back for its braking traction and faster rolling speed, and the minion dhf on the front for grip. but if your riding is areas are dry and really grippy anyways, than two highrollers would probably be fine and would be faster

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015688
Mobile Version of Website