whats your most perfered downhill tire??

PB Forum :: Downhill
whats your most perfered downhill tire??
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 12:38 Quote
Another vote for Der barons, for me hands down the best tire on the market. Works great in any condition, only time I would think about changing is when things get really muddy and you need a full spike.

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 6:09 Quote
went from Schwalbe back to Maxxis. Find the Highroller so much better for wet/dry. Run them front and back. Ton's of predictable grip in my opinion. Never really got on with schwalbe.

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
yeah the highrollers do grip pretty well, I just prefer to have a little bit more aggresive tread like the minion for the front, it really depends on your riding style and riding conditions too.

Mod
Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 11:02 Quote
For years my combo was a minion front and a semi slicked high roller in the back. Fast combo.. you're sol if you hit any mud though.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:16 Quote
i run 2.5 wetscreams front and back love them Smile

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:20 Quote
Going to have to go with Duro leopards 3.0" tires. They still make them in both 24 and 26 inch sizes.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://w.fotka.pl/14551ac15e.jpg
They seem to be the only 3.0" tire left in existence so I think they deserve some credit. (I just purchased some directly from Duro not too long ago so they must still produce them)

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 Quote
richtryinghard wrote:
i run 2.5 wetscreams front and back love them Smile
Do you ride your screams cut down? If so do you cut the middle treads or all of them?

Posted: Oct 26, 2013 at 0:20 Quote
jfyfe wrote:
Continental Der Barons are my favourite. The best traction I have found in both wet and dry conditions. You'll be flying across wet rock bluffs and roots while your friends are just trying not to wipe out. I keep them on all winter in the wet and mud, and then leave them on all summer in the dusty bike parks. Also, it has the stickiest rubber yet lasts the longest. They really are amazing. They don't roll the fastest though. I prefer them to the der kaiser in just about every way, although they're not that different. The der kaiser's have a more ramped leading edge which would presumably roll faster, but I couldn't tell the difference. They also have a more connected tread so they can't conform to the ground as well, and noticably don't grip as well. Still pretty good though.

I've owned and/or ridden the continental der baron's, continental der kaiser's, minion dhf/dhr 60a, minion dhf (dhf on the rear also) in 3c, and bontrager g4's. I've also owned a lot of xc tires, and the schwalbe fat alberts are the only schwalbe's I've owned. The minion 60a's are just too hard. I slid out of control in all types of conditions with those tires, both on wet surfaces, and dry corners. The g4's are by far the worst tires I've ever tried. They roll fast, but that should be a bonus in a dh tire. Everything else was horrible. They were unpredictable, and when they break away there's no warning and you're done. The minion dhf 3c's roll fast and corner pretty good, but I found they have an edgy feeling in corners that gets exceeded easily and starts to slide, especially on hard ground. I also wouldn't run a dhf on the rear again, because they don't brake quickly enough. So you can't attack a steep fast section with a slow section or slow corner at the bottom, for example. The 60a dhr braked better. I took the minion dhf 3c's off before they were even close to being worn out, because I simply didn't like them that much.

I would like to eventually try the schwalbe muddy mary's, but the only schwalbe's I've owned were the fat albert's (an all mountain tire) and they rolled slow, didn't grip that great, wore out quickly, and were expensive. Needless to say I was not impressed, so I've been reluctant to buy a pair of muddy mary's.

Oh, I've also ridden the specialized butcher's a couple times, but I don't have enough time on them for a critique.

Are you running the Conti's 2.5 front and rear?

Posted: Oct 28, 2013 at 9:09 Quote
michaeldorian wrote:

Are you running the Conti's 2.5 front and rear?

Yes, I usually do. Actually right now I'm running a 2.4 Contintental Der Kaiser projekt in the rear for extra speed in summer time conditions, and trying a 2.35 Schwalbe Muddy Mary in the front as an experiment. But for all around conditions (and particularly wet rocks and roots), nothing I've tried can beat the 2.5 Conti Der Baron's front and rear. You won't hear as much about Conti because the shops don't push them since they can be hard for them to stock, but they're amazing.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016714
Mobile Version of Website