At 300 lbs can it be done

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
At 300 lbs can it be done
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 9:46 Quote
I want to break in to the sport but i am 6'3" and 300 lbs i am not your average lardo i have a lot of muscle mass and as my job i have to climb 200' in the air to replace heavy duty cameras on oil rigs . i can do just about any thing a lighter person can do but my real question is will the bike last and what bike would you guys recomend ?

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 10:04 Quote
im not trying to sound rude in anyway, and im sure your in great shape. but maybe you could shed some weight? it definately makes things on bike parts much easier.

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 10:07 Quote
NoahFecks wrote:
im not trying to sound rude in anyway, and im sure your in great shape. but maybe you could shed some weight? it definately makes things on bike parts much easier.
o for sure i am usually like 260-275 but i lost my mind recently i am droping fast and will be back at 275 by summer time . but yes i hear you on that .

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 10:10 Quote
i met a dude that said he was 275. im 220 and am pretty rough on my bike. i let him ride my bike and you could hear the spokes creeking with him just riding flat ground. the only thing i could suggest is as much chromo tubing as possible. or really good suspension. and keep this in mind... everything will break when beat on hard enough. don't ever get any impression that something is invincible, cause its not.

on to bike suggestions?
blackmarketbikes.com check out the edit 1. thats what im running and its strong as hell!

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 10:20 Quote
sweet msrp but i was thinking about the fox fork are they compatible on that type of frame .

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 10:30 Quote
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS . I DONT KNOW MAN I JUST REALLY WANT TO FLY . EVEN IF ITS JUST FOR A SECOND OR 2 . I HAVE ALWAS RIDEN ON THE STREET AND BS TRAILS BUT I HAVE JUST RECENTLY HIT SOME BURMS WITH MY HARDROCK AND I AM ADDICTID . I HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED DRINKING COFFEE AND THE COMBO IS OUT OF THIS WORLD .

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37 Quote
yeah man. flying is fun. makes you feel alive

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 1:00 Quote
im 240 and 6'4 and ive owned i couldnt tell you how many bikes in the past year and i have broken my fair share of parts but you just need to keep maintaining your bike thats all. My brothers over 300lbs and hes ridden my bikes every so often and they hold up just fine. Just make sure the company your getting the part from has great customer service and warranty claims, and you'll be set!!

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 14:22 Quote
ernestrinconjr wrote:
I want to break in to the sport but i am 6'3" and 300 lbs i am not your average lardo i have a lot of muscle mass and as my job i have to climb 200' in the air to replace heavy duty cameras on oil rigs . i can do just about any thing a lighter person can do but my real question is will the bike last and what bike would you guys recomend ?

You should definitely go for it. Dirt jumpers are designed to take some abuse.

Big guys can definitely ride.

Cult Bikes manager/owner Robbie Morales aka "Robbo" . . . . I had a friend who was big like him and we called him Raybo cuz he had a similar riding style.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.vans.com/microsites/bmx/team/morales/1.jpg
I recommend a chromoly steel frame not aluminum. You'll probably have better luck with a coil spring fork rather than air, as well. Or do a rigid fork, all chromoly like S&M or Blackmarket.

There was a bike from the mid-2000's called the Specialized P.Street 24". It was very heavy duty. One of the only suspension forks specificially designed for pegs and with chromoly lowers. The fork weighed close to 9 pounds.
I actually have one of these bikes I need to sell, lemme know if you want a heavy duty classic.

This is it on the left:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/upsetbmx/Specialized-P-Street-24---DK-Xenia-.jpg

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 10:59 Quote
I was just thinking, since you're 6'3", the Specialized P.Street 24" is likely going to feel too small for you (not so much in the top tube length, but in the standover height and lower bars).

I would recommend something like the Rocky Mountain Flow DJ size Large, TRANSITION Trail or Park size Large, an older Kona Shred or Kona Scrap (they are sized bigger), or anything with a 22.5" or 23" top tube.

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 at 9:46 Quote
I am 6'3 and was 250 lbs last summer and I rode park last year for the first time and loved it. I started on a stock norco havoc and it didn't handle my wait to well. I have upgraded the rims to atomlabs with dt Swiss spokes and atomlab hubs and so far so good. I blew the shitty rst forks right out but have gotten some dj1's and they handle my weight better. For the trails I rocked a bottlerocket and that thing handled my wieght and riding brilliantly. It's possible to ride being a bigger dude just know you will need to spend some money on better parts.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020258
Mobile Version of Website