May have accidentally ripped a kid off?

PB Forum :: Downhill
May have accidentally ripped a kid off?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:49 Quote
So I sold a kid a pair of broken Rock Shox Boxxers (I didn't even have an ad up for them he just saw them in the picture of the frame I was selling and asked about them) And from what a guy at a shop told me what was wrong was the air valve had blown so they were all sunken down. Now the kids messaging me saying that the left side of the fork is empty and that I should have told him. I had no idea, although I always thought air forks had a spring side and a more or less empty side for air? Am I right, or did I accidentally sell him gutted forks?

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 Quote
bobbybiker14 wrote:
And from what a guy at a shop told me what was wrong was the air valve had blown so they were all sunken down.
im not really one that understands suspension down to the teeth.. but from what i got, you knew they were already broken? ('air valve had blown')

with that said, did you state they werent broken? IMO, if you didnt state the 'air valve had blown', or thats atleast what you think it is then your the one at fault. you should ALWAYS make your f/s ads as clean-cut as you can so there is no guess work involved for the person on the other end.

this is why i dont buy used parts..... too much sketchy stuff happens. not tryna dog on you or anything, just giving my opinion.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 12:02 Quote
photo
That's an image I pulled up from google when I searched boxxer air internals, so this might not be exactly how your specific fork was but it's likely quite close to it. The part to the lower left is where the bolt at the bottom of the lowers threads into. Just up the shaft is a black plastic part, which presses into the bottom of your right stanchion. At the top is the seal for the bottom of your air chamber, which is created with the inner walls of the stanchion and the air valve.

I'm unsure of how they would be empty. If you blew your valve and they worked before hand then surely everything is still there, unless somewhere down the line the assembly was removed? By empty, he could be referring to the lack of air.

Haven't worked on a boxxer, but all 3 of the rockshox forks I've taken apart were air in one side and adjustments (rebound and compression) in the other. No springs.

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 at 17:07 Quote
Most air shocks that I have worked on have an air side and some sort of an oil damped cartridge on the non air side. Some entry level 'zokes forks use an open bath oil damped cartridge on both sides with air adjustment on each side (air/oil type fork).

If your fork was stuck down there may have been a deeper issue going on. Yes, if the air valve was broken it would not hold air and when an air shock doesn't have air it will sink into its travel a little bit. The other issue could be a blown oring in the air cartridge allowing air to escape out of the cartridge and into the fork pulling and holding it down. It's all here say now that the fork is gone. But, if the kid knew they where busted and you described what you thought was wrong to the best of your knowledge.....and the price reflected that, then don't worry about it.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2013 at 10:53 Quote
bobbybiker14 wrote:
So I sold a kid a pair of broken Rock Shox Boxxers (I didn't even have an ad up for them he just saw them in the picture of the frame I was selling and asked about them) And from what a guy at a shop told me what was wrong was the air valve had blown so they were all sunken down. Now the kids messaging me saying that the left side of the fork is empty and that I should have told him. I had no idea, although I always thought air forks had a spring side and a more or less empty side for air? Am I right, or did I accidentally sell him gutted forks?

Just offer some of the money back, whatever it needs to be fixed.

If its not worth fixing price wise ( what you sold it for) then just give him the money back and you're not really out either as it wasn't worth fixing for you either.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009405
Mobile Version of Website