Powered by Outside

Light-Bicycle Carbon 650b Rims

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Light-Bicycle Carbon 650b Rims
Previous Page |
O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:21 Quote
I just got my Light-Bicycle carbon 650b rims in the mail and they look great. Here are the details, as I saw them.

The price is very competitive. I think I was into about CAD $345 delivered.

The timeline to get them in hand was a little long - since I ordered immediately before Chinese New Year there was a bit of a delay, and because the 650b product is a new thing for them there was a bit of a delay. Delay + delay + shipping from the Far East = 5 weeks.

Rim Bed:

Job

In hand, these things look and feel great. The finish is consistent, dimensions (i.e. 30mm outside width) are exactly as specified on the LB website, and I didn't get any surprises building them. I suspect these are the second revision of rim from the people at LB - apparently the first revision had some quality control issues.

Unidirectional Matte Carbon Finish:

Job

Weight was as claimed (I had 366g and 372g).

With Chris King hubs (15mm and 135mm) and DT Swiss Champion spokes on brass nipples, I have a complete front wheel weight of 815g and a rear weight of 940g (bare, Stans Yellow tape included, no valve stems).

Mounting tires tubeless was easy, as you can see in the picture of the rim bed there's a nice shape to help locate the bead, and I don't think I went over 35 psi with a hand pump to get the tires to seat.

Complete Wheel:

Job

All in all, I am so far happy with the purchase and will update once I have some miles in. Does anyone else have any Light-Bicycle rim feedback? I know there's a big thread on MTBR about them, but I don't do MTBR.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:24 Quote
Man, those look good. I may have to give them a whirl. Do you remember the ERD off them? I can go to site but lazy American.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:27 Quote
565mm ERD for these 650b ones. The build was super easy-peasy to get them round and straight, and getting a consistent tension was also a walk in the rim job park.

I think carbon rims are easy to build because they're so stiff.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:29 Quote
MMMM. The ERD on my flow ex's is 562. Wonder if I could make that work with the same spokes. Should be close. May have to check these out. And then order some ENVE stickers.............

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:30 Quote
Light Bicycle can do custom decals, I'd go with a play on words like ENRE.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:31 Quote
mrbrett wrote:
Light Bicycle can do custom decals, I'd go with a play on words like ENRE.

That is funny. Just slightly off just to mess with people. I bery I can fry!

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:33 Quote
Looked closeup at your rim shot (hehehe) and the Novatec from the front page and if you zoom in man they look really similar.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:36 Quote
I suspect they may in fact be the same.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:56 Quote
Sorry had to sell a genius 720 real quick. Rough day at the bike shop. Had about 4 customers and pow. $4,500 bike out the door. I deserve 5 o'clock beerz.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 14:59 Quote
I never minded days like that, it was quiet (so you catch up on your reading) but productive (so you don't go out of business).

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 16:34 Quote
Those are Chinese carbon?

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 16:36 Quote
tylerthegiant wrote:

Nope. Guatemalan carbon..

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 18:52 Quote
tylerthegiant wrote:

They say Toray, which is basically Guatemalan carbon.

Kidding, I think it's Japanese if we can trust that it's really Toray. I can't imagine there being that many carbon manufacturing plants in the world.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010368
Mobile Version of Website