The official BOS thread

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The official BOS thread
O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 8:53 Quote
By the way, I was curious, the new seals kit (Push Industries Ultra Low Friction Seals) came with those white foam rings that sit beneath the seals, and of course there were no foam rings in my fork, but there was the empty space to be able to insert them. Is there any reason why Bos doesn't use them? Is there any specific reason to use them or not use them on the Deville? It seems like anything that helps seal and lube the stanchions would be a good thing, but as you can tell I don't know much about this stuff.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 12:30 Quote
Update: I was able to figure out how access the closed cartridge on my fork to do the oil change - I will post pics for others who may have this AM fork - however, the oil inside the cartridge looks very different than the oil that was outside on the lowers - now I am wondering if this is just from being exposed to the elements or if it is a completely different oil - anybody happen to know?

Thank you very much!

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 18:27 Quote
have same a fork with that same AM cartridge. I paid a local shop to service mine. i service my other forks so would be keen to see how you go.

plus I'm not 100% sold on the compression adjustment approach this system has - single lever to select a point between hard or soft. ideally I'd like a little more ramp up and slow speed compression support. I might get some ideas when we see the guts of both legs.

good luck!

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 12:30 Quote
Unfortunately my journey into attempting to service the closed damper cartridge did not go very well; I figured out how to remove the red cap top of the cartridge to access the oil and, as I mentioned, the oil looked totally different than the oil in the lowers

An email to Bos, who to their credit does respond just not with a ton of info., confirmed that the oil inside the dampers is different (AMX 3 inside dampers and Biooil for lowers and for open bath I think?) - this AMX 3 oil is very expensive and very difficult to get around here and I wasn't sure what would be an equivalent - so I didn't have the right oil

Then things got worse when I slipped trying to close the top cap and broke off the compression adjust knob so now it is stuck on highest compression and I can't get a hold of it - if I could figure out a way to just totally turn it the other way to lowest compression, I could probably just leave it there forever and be ok since IMO there really is no reason to ever ride it on highest setting unless you are just trying to stiffen it up for a long climb, which isn't a feature I care about

Now I have a fork in pretty darn good condition but no way to adjust the compression, so I either need to replace that top cap of the damper cartridge (can't seem to find one anywhere online), figure out a way to turn the compression to low with a broken knob (so far unsuccessful), or maybe find a buyer who wants to try to fix it or wants it for parts.

Any other ideas are welcomed, especially how to turn that broken knob (I thought about drilling a small bit into it and seeing if I could get enough grip to turn it back the other way)

photo

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 3:14 Quote
You don't consider sending it to a service centre for repair/service? I would say that for around 70/80 euros, maybe less, you get it 100%.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
migkab wrote:
You don't consider sending it to a service centre for repair/service? I would say that for around 70/80 euros, maybe less, you get it 100%.

I live in the US (San Francisco) - nobody wants to touch this fork here - I could send it to Europe and thought about it, but it would be very expensive and maybe total costs would be more than the fork is worth

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 9:43 Quote
Yes, might happen, there are customs and so on. Too bad you don't have the regular deville, I have one and the service is really easy.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 7:49 Quote
Hi guys, im a long time using bos forks, but never come this to my attention, is there anybody that have tried fox 34 bushings instead of the bos ones? i know one can fit the dustwipers but the bushings', anybody?,

Cheers from Chile!

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 5:12 Quote
skyno wrote:
Any other ideas are welcomed, especially how to turn that broken knob (I thought about drilling a small bit into it and seeing if I could get enough grip to turn it back the other way)

photo

shizzzz! that's no good Confused

when i've adjusted the "mid point" setting...
FYI for readers - there is a notch of sorts that adds a sticky point for the lever (red top cap) between hard and soft, you can adjust the mid point by moving the sticky notch towards either the hard or soft extreme - sophisticated i kno...
I've found 2 approaches work - mid point 2/3s to hard with pressure a little soft or 2/3s to soft with pressure a little harder... anyways i digress

i've been using circlip pliers in the holes of the ring round the broken bit. once you wind out that grub screw from the side that holds that ring in place ( not visible in pic), you might be able to twist both at once.
Also, below the fracture there might be enough thread still for the top cap retaining screw without the cap/lever on. screw it in tight and try grip that to open the compression.

good luck mate tup

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 14:13 Quote
Foook me you got all up and ham fisted the shit outta those.

I somehow do not think you know how to use a socket set lol ;d

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 18:03 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:

You are correct - it is a funky size socket that I could not find so I used a pipe wrench!

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 1:42 Quote
skyno wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:

You are correct - it is a funky size socket that I could not find so I used a pipe wrench!

it is funny french size, even in Europe it is not easy to find that size.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 6:28 Quote
I'm sorry but there's nothing funny about the french hehe!
;-d

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 10:29 Quote
Beware of BOS and Probikeshop.com: https://www.facebook.com/probikeshop/posts/10156418483929739
Already two months without riding and promises to be more ...

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 16:07 Quote
skyno wrote:
migkab wrote:

I live in the US (San Francisco) - nobody wants to touch this fork here - I could send it to Europe and thought about it, but it would be very expensive and maybe total costs would be more than the fork is worth
I have the same fork on a bike I don't use a lot as of yet so it has the equivalent of less than half a season on it, It has always run wet as in oil on the uppers but still works reasonably well, I guess I will consider it a disposable fork since like you say nobody wants to work on it.... Have you heard anything about QBP? I heard they were a U.S. distributer, maybe they do service?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015388
Mobile Version of Website