The official BOS thread

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The official BOS thread
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 18:02 Quote
That bos bio oil is closer to a 2.5 wt, about 15cst viscosity. You will want to use a fork oil that is slippery, motorex and danico are my choices for fork oil.

There is a video floating around youtube for bos idylle service, they are dead simple to do though.

Stoy is a very easy rear shock to rebuild, takes about 15 mins to pull apart and rebleed. The older guide bushes that bos used on the stoy needed replacing somehwat often. They use a different one now that is more of a standard compound and lasts much much longer. Get whatever is cheaper in a 36mm seal, bos seals for that fork are made by trelleborg, skf green seals are also very nice and are usually my first pick.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
For the preload spacers, any piece of aluminium or plastic can do the job. On a Boxxer I had a bar end that I had cut to the right diameter to fit in the stanchion.

Yours look different from the few BOS forks I've had (had a N'dee, 2010 Idylle Rare, 2014 Idylla Rare air) ... I wonder if I don't have 1 or 2 of those aluminium spacers you have in a box of random shit I kept over the years.

But you can easily replace that with a bit of plastic or metal if you need some more spacers.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
naturaltalent wrote:
That bos bio oil is closer to a 2.5 wt, about 15cst viscosity. You will want to use a fork oil that is slippery, motorex and danico are my choices for fork oil.

I didnt realise Bio oil was that light? most other people seem to recommend 5-10wt to replace it! I've just had a check and I seem to have the right level in the damper side at least, so I might just top off the spring side and leave the damper be for now.

I've had a reply from BOS regards preload spacers, They say to order the kit they have on the website, but that the preload spacers go underneath the preload cartridge, and not on top of it as my ones currently do.
I currently have a small amount of sag at rest, which I attribute to some contraction of the spring(?). Ordering enough preload spacers to take that sag out, and then hopefully have spares to set the preload.

BOS handily drew me a diagram of what they meant!

BOS idylle 36 preload spacers
BOS idylle 36 preload spacers

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 10:31 Quote
Apologies for the double post.

I've spent the afternoon trying to diagnose by how much my spring was too short - 15mm.
However the spring is still 330mm in length, which means it hasn't contracted at all from new.
Confusingly, it's a yellow spring, which BOS list as their "Short" spring at 330mm long. The website says this spring is compatible with my fork.

The BOS "Long" spring is 380mm in length, which they ALSO say is compatible with my fork...

So either I run a short spring with 15+mm in spacers before I add preload, or I run a long spring with 35mm of preload on at all times!

2012 BOS Idylle spring side with 15mm of washer in place
2012 BOS Idylle spring side with 15mm of washer in place

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
Just been on the bos site, and I've replied to BOS support with the following email (Edited for brevity, TL;DR added)

TL;DR
I think I have the short spring, and a tube that is not quite long enough, when I should have a shorter tube and a long spring.

One other thing I have noted with my suspension is that it naturally rests into its travel, when i lift the handlebars, the lowers drop away another 1,5cm...

...I have added washers to my fork in the place you illustrated for me, and it has taken 15mm of washers to take up this free float in my fork.
So either I run a short spring with 15+mm in spacers before I add preload, or I run a long spring with 35mm of preload on at all times!..

...I believe the metal "spring tube" (Part 17-3 in your diagram, 150707-D-172, https://www.bos-suspension.com/spring-tube-124mm-c2x33318490) in my fork is the incorrect length, I have measured it to be ~169mm when that part is listed as 124mm on your website.
Is it possible that the part fitted to my fork is instead 150707-D-106A (https://www.bos-suspension.com/long-spacer-short-spring-c2x33318520) or 150707-D-157 (not listed on website)

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
Hello ,

i have been checking every BOS Idylle rare fcv 37mm fork i come across lately, even some on the internet,
and they ALL had the cracks on the lower crown. Just giving you a heads up
I havent seen any one fail tho, so it could be a non fatal fail, but still disapointing.
I also emailed bos, and asked if they give a warranty on a newly bought crown from their site, and they said no.
Once more this is not what you expect from a 2000$+ fork and such a company. whatever

Bill

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 0:56 Quote
sharkgr wrote:
Hello ,

i have been checking every BOS Idylle rare fcv 37mm fork i come across lately, even some on the internet,
I havent seen any one fail tho, so it could be a non fatal fail, but still disapointing.
I also emailed bos, and asked if they give a warranty on a newly bought crown from their site, and they said no.
Once more this is not what you expect from a 2000$+ fork and such a company. whatever

Bill

Ive seen a broken lower crown on an idylle before. Maybe you could provide some pictures so that we can see where the cracking occurs for those who do own them to check on and inspect?

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 23:36 Quote
naturaltalent wrote:
sharkgr wrote:
Hello ,

Bill

Ive seen a broken lower crown on an idylle before. Maybe you could provide some pictures so that we can see where the cracking occurs for those who do own them to check on and inspect?

Was just doing that Razz
i had drilled some small holes at the end of the cracks, to stop their development, and see how it goes , before i decide giving that 250$ on a new crown

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20465860/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20465861/

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007233
Mobile Version of Website