Cassette Stiff After Axle Installation (10Speed, Deemax)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cassette Stiff After Axle Installation (10Speed, Deemax)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 12:40 Quote
Hi there,

Just installed my 10 Speed Shimano Road cassette to my deemax wheel. I have installed the lockring as tight as I possibly can (by hand and there is no movement of the cassette so I dont think i need the spacer that goes between the cassette and the freehub (the cassette actually buts up perfectly with teh freehub body so dont think it would be required anyway)

Cassette spins freely when the wheel is off the bike but have installed it quickly and tightened teh axle and the cassette doesnt spin at all! Could this be because the lockring isnt tightened properly to the correct torquie using the correct tools?

The freehub would spin ok with the cassette off the wheel

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 13:58 Quote
Hey there, crap problem to have. The cass. Lockring shouldn't be affecting the free hub body bearings if its installed correct. Is the freehub body installed 100% in the hub? If it is, does this only happen with this cass. Or others as well?

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 14:17 Quote
Hi there buddy,

I've not tried any other cassette (don't have access to any other ones). This cassette is brand new though, and the free hub body appears to look as if it is installed correctly. Without the cassette installed, the free hub spins freely when fitted to the bike. It's just when the cassette is installed, it's stiff when the axle is tightened.

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 14:21 Quote
So if you take off the cass. And tighten the wheel to the same level, the freehub blody spins freely ? I would check the lockring to see if it's clearing thur axle/frame.

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 14:24 Quote
Yeah mate, without the cassette on, the free hub spins freely when the axle is tightened correctly. The cassette sits flush with the free hub body when installed, maybe I'm not tightening the locking enough? I don't have a torque setting so would rather get my lbs to get it tightened correctlu

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 14:31 Quote
But the lock ring shouldn't be affecting the preload on the freehub body bearings, you should be able to tighten that lockring down without hurting the body. But you do a have lbs near by, I'd see what they say about it. I work at a shop but hard to help when I can't see it. Also I have a set of deemax as well and my freehub is stiffer than a shimano or SRAM freehub but it's the same stiffness with or without a cass.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 at 3:24 Quote
Just a idear here. Does your cassette have a spider on the inside ? I had this problem before it was with crank brothers wheels the spider on the cassette would hit the spoke just where the hub is and stopped it from turning only when wheel was put in the bike. Long shot mate

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007159
Mobile Version of Website