What are the strongest wheels

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
What are the strongest wheels
Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:36 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
sjv13 wrote:
just as a note... many of the pros use profile hubs.... like I've seen a profile mini hubset on scotty cranmer's bike before. And by no means does he ride "light" park lol
Haha, I did mention that I imagine they're still pretty decent, but when not compared to the properly strong hubs out there. I can't say from experience, but from what I've seen they'll hold up well unless you land heavy or bail a lot. The axles seem to like snapping.
my old primo mix hub died on me so i bought a profile hub off a mate luckily for only 50 quid. laced it up blah blah
crushed two bearings and snapped the flange a few years back. i had it two weeks. haha. it really pisses me off that kids think they are the best hubs just because they make a bit of a noise.

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:38 Quote
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
sjv13 wrote:
just as a note... many of the pros use profile hubs.... like I've seen a profile mini hubset on scotty cranmer's bike before. And by no means does he ride "light" park lol
Haha, I did mention that I imagine they're still pretty decent, but when not compared to the properly strong hubs out there. I can't say from experience, but from what I've seen they'll hold up well unless you land heavy or bail a lot. The axles seem to like snapping.
my old primo mix hub died on me so i bought a profile hub off a mate luckily for only 50 quid. laced it up blah blah
crushed two bearings and snapped the flange a few years back. i had it two weeks. haha. it really pisses me off that kids think they are the best hubs just because they make a bit of a noise.
Mate if you managed to wreck a Primo Mix I think you'd destroy most hubs on the market.

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:41 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:

Mate if you managed to wreck a Primo Mix I think you'd destroy most hubs on the market.
i had two, one was 8th driver on primo so the bearings were pathetic. and the other one the driver litteraly sheered out i ran it untill it locked up haha.ive destroyed most parts ive ever had. im a fairly heavy rider on my bike anyway. i flat spotted my last g sport rim.
got g sport hubs at the moment and i love em! couldnt see them giving up on me to be honest.

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:45 Quote
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:

i had two, one was 8th driver on primo so the bearings were pathetic. and the other one the driver litteraly sheered out i ran it untill it locked up haha.ive destroyed most parts ive ever had. im a fairly heavy rider on my bike anyway. i flat spotted my last g sport rim.
got g sport hubs at the moment and i love em! couldnt see them giving up on me to be honest.
Shit dude, I think you're the only person I've ever heard of flat spotting a G-sport rim without actually trying to wreck the thing.
I ride heavy and haven't managed to break anything on my Stolen stock bike yet, but I don't really go big. Razz

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:48 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:

Shit dude, I think you're the only person I've ever heard of flat spotting a G-sport rim without actually trying to wreck the thing.
I ride heavy and haven't managed to break anything on my Stolen stock bike yet, but I don't really go big. Razz
haha me and a mate were having a game of ''flat'' in a park where everythings just quaters and spines

tyre blew up as i landed jumping off a quater to flat must have just hit the rim as well ahaha.
looks like a pretty sweet bike from the pics dude. i cant comment on photos .work pc is shite

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:51 Quote
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:

haha me and a mate were having a game of ''flat'' in a park where everythings just quaters and spines

tyre blew up as i landed jumping off a quater to flat must have just hit the rim as well ahaha.
looks like a pretty sweet bike from the pics dude. i cant comment on photos .work pc is shite
Man you got unlucky! Explains how you managed to flat spot it though, you wouldn't have done that if the tire was there to help with the impact lol.
And thanks dude, only thing I've changed are the tires and they made a dramatic change to the whole look of the bike, it's weird actually.

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 22:58 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:

Man you got unlucky! Explains how you managed to flat spot it though, you wouldn't have done that if the tire was there to help with the impact lol.
And thanks dude, only thing I've changed are the tires and they made a dramatic change to the whole look of the bike, it's weird actually.
yeah wasnt a problem really just got another one aha was just unlucky . ahh main contact points eg pedals grips and tyres will be the main things to change in acordance to how it actualy feels to ride. untill you get into changing geo of actual parts!

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 23:03 Quote
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:

yeah wasnt a problem really just got another one aha was just unlucky . ahh main contact points eg pedals grips and tyres will be the main things to change in acordance to how it actualy feels to ride. untill you get into changing geo of actual parts!
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about getting new pedals - those Thermalites are absolutely horrible and just feel wrong. No grip, either.
You seem to know your stuff, so any recommendations? Preferably something cheap.
I was thinking Oddy twisted PC's?

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 23:08 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about getting new pedals - those Thermalites are absolutely horrible and just feel wrong. No grip, either.
You seem to know your stuff, so any recommendations? Preferably something cheap.
its hard to say really because its down to personal preference, have a go on others bikes . people with a bit more grip on pedals etc ive always had odyssey nothing else. i got twisteds but the grip dies so fast. i then got sealed odyssey pedals and loved them ran them for 3 years the same pair! just replaced pins. then one day bang it dies aha.
so i got odyssey jcpcs which are by far the best thing ive ever got for my bike. if you like being stuck to the pedals with no movement at all get them. they are amazing., no bearings in them to brake. and its metal pins plastic case.
only 10 quid to replace the actual plate once you ahve bought them. may sound expensive at first think there 35, but if its only 10 to replace in the future it saves money in the long run.

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 23:10 Quote
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:

its hard to say really because its down to personal preference, have a go on others bikes . people with a bit more grip on pedals etc ive always had odyssey nothing else. i got twisteds but the grip dies so fast. i then got sealed odyssey pedals and loved them ran them for 3 years the same pair! just replaced pins. then one day bang it dies aha.
so i got odyssey jcpcs which are by far the best thing ive ever got for my bike. if you like being stuck to the pedals with no movement at all get them. they are amazing., no bearings in them to brake. and its metal pins plastic case.
only 10 quid to replace the actual plate once you ahve bought them. may sound expensive at first think there 35, but if its only 10 to replace in the future it saves money in the long run.
Alright thanks man, I'll have a go on some friends bikes when I get the chance. Smile

Posted: May 22, 2013 at 23:12 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
Ginoridesbikes wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:

Alright thanks man, I'll have a go on some friends bikes when I get the chance. Smile
no worries. if you really are on a tight budget the animal plastics are fairly good as well. best thing to do with plastics is mark the side you want your feet on so you only grind away one side more than the other. will last alot longer

Posted: May 23, 2013 at 1:45 Quote
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
sjv13 wrote:
If i was getting fat checks from hyper and monster and owned a bmx shop I would have 10 super light dialed wheelsets and not even care, land hard crack something and throw a new one on. Pros are not regular people, they can build new bikes every week if they want(top end big money pros).

Posted: May 23, 2013 at 2:03 Quote
iridedj wrote:
Gangsta-Hotdog wrote:
sjv13 wrote:
If i was getting fat checks from hyper and monster and owned a bmx shop I would have 10 super light dialed wheelsets and not even care, land hard crack something and throw a new one on. Pros are not regular people, they can build new bikes every week if they want(top end big money pros).
Too true, cranmer is a perfect example of this.

Posted: May 24, 2013 at 8:29 Quote
I feel like they wouldnt compromise strength for weight so much. Going as big as they do, if they break something then there is a really high chance of them getting hurt pretty bad. If a pro repeatedly broke his hubs, then I feel like he wouldn't hesitate to switch to a different brand/model. You are right in saying they can get awesome new parts really easily, but I don't believe they would put themselves in harms way just to have a bike that is light/cool that breaks all the time.

Posted: May 24, 2013 at 10:23 Quote
sjv13 wrote:
I feel like they wouldnt compromise strength for weight so much. Going as big as they do, if they break something then there is a really high chance of them getting hurt pretty bad. If a pro repeatedly broke his hubs, then I feel like he wouldn't hesitate to switch to a different brand/model. You are right in saying they can get awesome new parts really easily, but I don't believe they would put themselves in harms way just to have a bike that is light/cool that breaks all the time.

Pro riders today use whatever their sponsors give them,or whatever part they can get for free,they don't spend money on bikes or parts like we do.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018435
Mobile Version of Website