All Mountain Riders Poll Tubes or Tubeless?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All Mountain Riders Poll Tubes or Tubeless?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2013 at 17:42 Quote
Just want to take a general poll from the folks out there that ride All Mountain, and see who rides tubes, and who rides tubeless. If you have switched to one side or the other and why you made the swap.

Personally I am running tubeless, but I did conduct a quick and dirty experiment by running one tire tubeless and one tubed to see who lasted longer.

Just so happens I must have rubbed a curb wrong and my tubed tire experienced a flat, a small tear in the tube. Now luckily I had the tire setup prior as a tubeless, and there was some residual Stan's left in the tire body which sealed the bead of the tire to the rim and even though the tube was flat I was able to ride home with whatever air remained in the tire body (about 5 psi).

So how do you run, tubes or tubeless?

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 1:28 Quote
Not sure why anyone would run a tube unless they didn't have/couldn't afford the right wheels/tyres these days.

Only burped when I've crashed hard, never whilst riding (although I dont run pressures silly low).

More traction/grip.

Lighter.

Never had a puncture yet with stans sealant... BIGGEST BENEFIT BY FAR!!

Just feel better somehow.

I do have Flows, with tubeless ready tyres though (spesh butcher/purgatory). I'd guess anyone complaining is either bodging it, or using the tubeless to run really low pressures... (circa 20psi) and then complaining when they burp them.

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 2:28 Quote
I run tubes mainly because I can't afford the tyres to do tubeless my wheels are tubeless ready but the cost of the tyres and the messy sealant whenever I want to switch has put me off as well as the feeling of the sealant in the tyres.

FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 2:52 Quote
i was running tubes on tubeless ready tyres, but rims were standard, i did not want to muck about with sealant etc (as i am quite lazy) then i needed to replace my rear rim as i cracked it, for a bit more cash i was able to get some tubeless ready rims....... what a difference, weight saving nearly 2lbs, quicker, more responsive and once you get over the "oh no these are not going to take any abuse" and actually forget about them and ride, extremely reliable, no punctures in 9 months where i was getting one or two a month.

you can run really low pressures but i have kept at 22-30 psi and not seen any performance issues (positive or negative)

i think that some tyre brands (maxxis?) dont even need sealant now, so saving weight and mess!!

in summary, glad i changed, cost of tyres is now similar to non tubeless, only expense is the initial tubeless rims if you dont already have them (never been a fan of ghetto tubeless).....weight saving for XC is the most important factor.

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 13:59 Quote
I run tubes but I switch my tires alot. I have my dry all mountain tires my super soft minions and I have some mud tires. I could go tubeless but going to wait till I get my dj back together. Then I won't care about it. Thinking high rollers

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 20:12 Quote
This got me thinking of doing tubeless on my freeride/dh bike. Save about 3 pounds from the wheels, I noticed a half pound from my xc bike, 3 pounds will make it a rocket.

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 10:23 Quote
Tubeless. We have cactus and large thorned plants which resulted in weekly tube changes. I love being tubeless! The rolling weight reduction was easily noticed, along with the feel of the terrain response.

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 13:04 Quote
I've recently gone tubeless and managed to get a puncture on my 2nd ride Cry tyre was slashed on a flint or something and don't know if it's salvageable yet

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 19:48 Quote
I been wondering about the switch also, will they hold up on big drops or jumps and such

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 21:31 Quote
I did some drops and some small jumps today and they held air just fine under my 230 pounds.

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 22:00 Quote
They will hold just as fine as tubes

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 22:01 Quote
Nice I only weigh 155 so I am guess I will be alright

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 22:07 Quote
Yes lol. The only time I would be scared of breaking a bead is low psi.

Posted: Apr 15, 2013 at 22:33 Quote
Word up that is the only thing I would be scared of is like a nice drop then boom no tire lol

Posted: Apr 16, 2013 at 10:55 Quote
Acemastermatt wrote:
I been wondering about the switch also, will they hold up on big drops or jumps and such

well my stem broke and my tyres didn't if that helps

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012075
Mobile Version of Website