"Best" clipless pedals for DH

PB Forum :: Downhill
"Best" clipless pedals for DH
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 7:53 Quote
Ok, so I'm looking at some clipless pedals for my DH bike. Specifically, Shimano M647, Time Atac DH4, and Crankbrothers Mallet. These are the pedals that I know people ride for DH, but if there are any that I'm missing out on, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 8:00 Quote
Oh, and BTW, I'm sure there is a thread for this already, I just wasn't able to find it. So please, if you know of one, I would very much appreciate a link!

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 11:56 Quote
Personally I like the Mallets. I've been running the same set on my DH bike for almost 5 years now with zero issues, I even run CrankBros pedals on my XC bike (candy's). The entry system on the CrankBros pedals is super simple to get into, forward, backwards, straight down....it doesnt matter, you clip in effortlessly. They are not finicky to mud and other debris as well. Gobs of float so your not popping out when you least expect it...i could go on. I have used shitmano in the past so im not being TOTALLY biased Smile

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 12:08 Quote
Haha well that all sounds good! Yeah, I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Mallets! My only problem is, that I would be going for the Mallet DHs, and they are red, and my bike is blue. I'm quite strict when it comes to color combination/coordination (or however you say it) and I think it would look kinda weird with a blue/white build and then those flashy red pedals just seemingly coming out of nowhere! But if they are the superior choice, I might just have to go with it... also, how do you feel about the brass cleats? Do they wear a lot faster than steel cleats?

Thanks for your opinion! Big Grin tup

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 13:03 Quote
Dont be a tweaker. Get what works best! The brass lasts plently long as well as your not walking on a ton of gravel, the spring tension on crankbros pedals is not rediculously strong cause they dont have to be, so they dont wear out fast from repeated entry and exit.

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 17:17 Quote
Hey can someone answer this question, I'm looking to buy clipless pedals and shoes but don't know which ones are the best, Shimano PD-M647 Pedals with Shimano AM45 MTB SPD or Crank Brothers Mallet 3 with Five Ten Raven SPD? which ones do you guys recomend the most?

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 2:23 Quote
Yes - I know. performance > looks... Still, it would be nice with a pair of matching pedals! Wink Ok, so no problems with brass at all. Sounds good! tup seems like I'll probably have to go with the Mallets then... I kinda fell in love with the Time pedals on my mates bike, do you have any experience with those?

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 6:04 Quote
never used any form of Time pedals....they never seemed to tickle my fancy.

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 9:32 Quote
i've got mallets and shimano am45 clipless shoes, great combo, 0 issues.

Posted: Apr 26, 2013 at 2:16 Quote
How about the Five Ten Hellcat shoes? Does anybody have experience with hose?

FL
Posted: Apr 26, 2013 at 3:53 Quote
ndubl8 wrote:
i've got mallets and shimano am45 clipless shoes, great combo, 0 issues.

run the same, good combo, mallets are available in black and chrome as well.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2013 at 20:31 Quote
WaterWaterWaterWater wrote:

I'm running Hellcats on Shimano DX's. I was running the shimano DX shoe before. I find the Hellcats damp the vibration a little more than the DX. I also found that the rubber would contact the pedal more giving a bit of an odd side to siding damping effect, but somehow unclipping easier. I cranked up the tension on my DX pedals and now the hellcats are great (kinda odd it did that though, couldn't figure it out).

My girl friend (who races the north american WC's) also switched to the hellcats this past season and then from Shimano DX pedals to Mallets. She hated the mallets at first (with the pins up a 3-4mm) but then brought the pins to 1mm and then loved them. She also found the hellcats much better on the mallets than the DX shoes.

Posted: Apr 27, 2013 at 3:04 Quote
crazy-canuck wrote:

I'm running Hellcats on Shimano DX's. I was running the shimano DX shoe before. I find the Hellcats damp the vibration a little more than the DX. I also found that the rubber would contact the pedal more giving a bit of an odd side to siding damping effect, but somehow unclipping easier. I cranked up the tension on my DX pedals and now the hellcats are great (kinda odd it did that though, couldn't figure it out).

My girl friend (who races the north american WC's) also switched to the hellcats this past season and then from Shimano DX pedals to Mallets. She hated the mallets at first (with the pins up a 3-4mm) but then brought the pins to 1mm and then loved them. She also found the hellcats much better on the mallets than the DX shoes.

Ok, Hellcats it is! tup

Posted: Apr 27, 2013 at 3:13 Quote
Hellcats and Mallets. Sounds good! Thanks guys! Big Grin I might have to buy a pair of TIme Atac DH4 pedals too, just to test them out Wink

Posted: Apr 27, 2013 at 22:23 Quote
Hellcats and Mallets. Sounds good! Thanks guys! Big Grin I might have to buy a pair of TIme Atac DH4 pedals too, just to test them out Wink
I just found this thread minutes after posting a picture of my bike, and it sounds like you are in the same predicament that I was in! I have a yellow/black bike, and try to coordinate all the colors to make it look nice. I was even debating whether I should have them re-anodized at a local shop. But honestly, red mallet pedals pop out like no other. They look good!

And I also have the hellcat shoes too. But for me, this is my first clipless setup coming off flats. I like it so far, but I was unaware that the CB pedals came with two different cleats. One with a 15 degree release angle and one with a 20 degree. The 20 is a fair amount harder to unclip for me, and I am using the shims that came with the pedals. I may just be getting used to the clipless thing still.

Anyways, you can't go wrong with that combo. I love the float in the pedals, and the platform is massive. Here is what they look like on my bike.
New DH sled 2013 Transition TR450 - Kashima 40 - Kashima RC4 Shock - CZ38 Bars - Sensus Swayze Grips - Crankbros Mallet DH pedals

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013679
Mobile Version of Website