Agressive Short Travel Rig

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Agressive Short Travel Rig
Author Message
Posted: May 2, 2013 at 0:09 Quote
nomis123 wrote:
nickrace17 wrote:
nomis123 wrote:
hey, im xc'ing on my old aluminium p1, its soo nice!

If you read the original post he already had a OnOne SS hardtail and wants to replace it with a full suss not another hard tail!

i know, sorry i forgot to quote, i was replying to you saying that 14" seat tubes are awkward for xc :p

Oh right, yea my 456 is a 14" too but I've very little seatpost left in the tube and im growing atm..

Posted: May 2, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
You won't find a better bike for this than the Santa crust blur trail. 125mm travel, rides up like an xc and down like a dh bike. Theres not another bike like it on the market really. My trail carbon weighs just under 27 lbs with a dropper Big Grin

Posted: May 2, 2013 at 15:12 Quote
bendy wrote:
You won't find a better bike for this than the Santa crust blur trail. 125mm travel, rides up like an xc and down like a dh bike. Theres not another bike like it on the market really. My trail carbon weighs just under 27 lbs with a dropper Big Grin
Interesting view. I think it is possible to find at least one better bike than the Santa Crust Blur. The Saracen Ariel.

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 0:19 Quote
Pahahahaha, I actually lol'd . Saracen in general is no where near the quality of SC, and the suspension design is supple on the arial but shitty for climbing. Also the arial used bushes not bearings for all it's frame pivots so play develops after a relatively short period of time and they wear quicker. I could carry on about how shite they are but I think my point is clear :')
The only real contender to beat Santa cruz in terms of suspension is giant, but only in the xc bike area. And quality and realibility, they are only matched by giant. One last thing, SC use a military grade ballistic coating as the last layer (before paint) on their carbon frames to resist against impacts, as well as giving you titanium hardware.

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 1:43 Quote
bendy wrote:
Pahahahaha, I actually lol'd . Saracen in general is no where near the quality of SC, and the suspension design is supple on the arial but shitty for climbing. Also the arial used bushes not bearings for all it's frame pivots so play develops after a relatively short period of time and they wear quicker. I could carry on about how shite they are but I think my point is clear :')
The only real contender to beat Santa cruz in terms of suspension is giant, but only in the xc bike area. And quality and realibility, they are only matched by giant. One last thing, SC use a military grade ballistic coating as the last layer (before paint) on their carbon frames to resist against impacts, as well as giving you titanium hardware.

The Saracen Ariel is actually proven, in a survey of 1184 people to be 102% better than the Santa Cruz. You cannot argue with the facts.

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 2:54 Quote
I like the look of the Blur TR but its pretty expensive and I can't get it through the LBS so no discount :L

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 7:20 Quote
bendy wrote:
Pahahahaha, I actually lol'd . Saracen in general is no where near the quality of SC, and the suspension design is supple on the arial but shitty for climbing. Also the arial used bushes not bearings for all it's frame pivots so play develops after a relatively short period of time and they wear quicker. I could carry on about how shite they are but I think my point is clear :')
The only real contender to beat Santa cruz in terms of suspension is giant, but only in the xc bike area. And quality and realibility, they are only matched by giant. One last thing, SC use a military grade ballistic coating as the last layer (before paint) on their carbon frames to resist against impacts, as well as giving you titanium hardware.
Few little points to pick up here. My Ariel is about a year and a half old, no play has developed in the pivots yet.

I understand how nice supple suspension is a bad thing on a bike and i won't argue with you there, I am often infuriated by how damn supple it is, I do wish it would not perform so well and absorb all the bumps on the trail, sometimes I am so frustrated by it on climbs that I literally reach down to the shock and flick the pro pedal lever on (I'm serious, I have done that at least twice). I would however agree with you that the Maestro suspension linkage used by Giant is another fantastic option for a nice full suspension bike.

One last thing, Saracen use a revolutionary material called Aluminium which doesn't need some camouflage army paint to protect it from impacts #plasticdeformationftw

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 7:48 Quote
[P=https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=526714547386475&set=a.281132125278053.67234.220774517980481&type=1&theater size=m align=c][/P]

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 7:49 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
[P=https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=526714547386475&set=a.281132125278053.67234.220774517980481&type=1&theater size=m align=c][/P]

Well that didn't work, link instead.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=526714547386475&set=a.281132125278053.67234.220774517980481&type=1&theater

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 8:23 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/assets/images/Blog-photos/icebike-2010/saracen-ariel-1.jpg
why did they put such a poverty spec on it when it has fox fork and shock?

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 8:35 Quote
nomis123 wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/assets/images/Blog-photos/icebike-2010/saracen-ariel-1.jpg
why did they put such a poverty spec on it when it has fox fork and shock?
I would guess it's because Saracen are so stupid they offered a range of builds so that people with different budgets could all buy the bike. That way everyone can ride the same great frame and people with the lower spec build can, over time, upgrade parts if they feel the need.

Your point about it having such good suspension compared to the spec shows once again how stupid Saracen were, deciding that they should try to give the customer the best suspension possible because it is one of the biggest factors in how a bike rides (you won't notice having cheap cranks or a bad seat post half as much as bad suspension). They should have just built it with full Sram XX1 and Enve rims.

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 8:39 Quote
I never said they were stupid, stop being an ass. I was only querying as to why they put a rubbish (from what I can see) spec on an otherwise decent frame, fork, shock.

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 8:39 Quote
I agree it does seem crazy that a company like Saracen could completely neglect to think about selling a higher spec full build of the Ariel. What are they thinking?

If only they had thought to do that...
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.saracen.co.uk/img/product/xl/ariel-143.jpg


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011169
Mobile Version of Website