Big Bear back in the downhill game

PB Forum :: USA - West
Big Bear back in the downhill game
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 3, 2013 at 12:17 Quote
Read online aswell as heard through the grapevine that Big Bear will start allowing downhill bikes back on the mountain this summer, only restriction is a 45 LB bike weight limit, does anyone know why this is? seems like you couldnt do anything with a 47 pound bike that you could do with a 44 pound bike.... anyway, glad that us riders will be allowed back up there. hope it does well for the sport as a whole

O+
Posted: May 3, 2013 at 14:03 Quote
It's true. Some company calling themselves Gravity Logic has been hired to design and build.

Posted: May 3, 2013 at 19:07 Quote
I saw, their site looks pretty cool. deffinatley downhill/freeride oriented. i hope they bring back all the old trails from befre the closure! log chute was soo much funtup

Posted: May 4, 2013 at 23:48 Quote
subhuman2178 wrote:
Read online aswell as heard through the grapevine that Big Bear will start allowing downhill bikes back on the mountain this summer, only restriction is a 45 LB bike weight limit, does anyone know why this is? seems like you couldnt do anything with a 47 pound bike that you could do with a 44 pound bike.... anyway, glad that us riders will be allowed back up there. hope it does well for the sport as a whole
if u read a bit more you'll see that the limit was made cuz the guys dont really have a good system to put the riggs up on the hooks on the skycjairs so it falls under some OSHA cal.workers protection law thats why because the guys are actually picking up our DH bikes up to place on these hooks so thats why the limit is not pass 45lbs but just swap to a 2.5 F/ 2.35 R set and u should b good if u got an older rigg like mine im going to use a 2.4 trail kibg rear and 2.5 kenda got me @43lbs on my old rigg

Posted: May 5, 2013 at 0:14 Quote
mmmike wrote:
It's true. Some company calling themselves Gravity Logic has been hired to design and build.
fooo sure i hope it is like it was.or even better supposably this company they got building the new trails hooked up whistler too so it should be ON AND CRACKING FOR DHer's once again

Posted: May 9, 2013 at 22:37 Quote
Show up guys for opening week and show mad support for officialy allowing DownHill bikes back ,
On the legendary mountain !

Posted: May 11, 2013 at 11:30 Quote
il be there opening weekend! i know only 1 "downhill" trail is supposed to be open but i remember where all the old ones are Pimp ... just kidding

O+
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 0:21 Quote
Gravity logic built whistler I believe. So there legit. I still find it hard to believe that the forest service gave them the permit especially with the federal cuts. I'm a forest service firefighter and the cuts hit us hard but hey maybe a permit doesn't cost the forest service anything. I use to shred there in the 90s when the jump line "west ridge" was the shit. Do hopefully its as good or better than that trail.

Posted: May 15, 2013 at 19:50 Quote
socalshreder wrote:
Gravity logic built whistler I believe. So there legit. I still find it hard to believe that the forest service gave them the permit especially with the federal cuts. I'm a forest service firefighter and the cuts hit us hard but hey maybe a permit doesn't cost the forest service anything. I use to shred there in the 90s when the jump line "west ridge" was the shit. Do hopefully its as good or better than that trail.
West Rige was My Fav. Line too to darkside and that 20ft tabletop jump miss that , hope it even better with the guys building it or saw old footage of what it was and bring some of that back and some

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 15:50 Quote
One more week!!!!!!! So excited

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
Super stocked to have Snow Summit back. BigBear is a great little town to spend a weekend too,good peeps,good vibes! Anyone local to SoCal needing to get their DH fix on hit them up. Awesome trails so far and more on the way.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 10:39 Quote
Went up to Summit yesterday (6/16/13) to check it out. We have a cabin that is walking distance to Bear, and just a 5 minute drive to Summit. Spent the night up there to get the first runs up in the morning after a bit of local coffee shop breakfast :Cool :

Met a friend there who was taking his first trip on a brand new 29'er Giant (beginner rider to boot), and I was on my KHS AM2000 (Beginner to dh mtb, but raced BMX since I was 4 years old and moto-x since 7). He was having issues with some suspension and getting arm pump but having a ball none the less. He had a fathers day gig that he couldnt get out of so he needed to leave at noon, and after that it was game on.

I have been riding Aliso and Chutes lately, and love the workout opposed to just running every night. The quick dh sections of both trails left me for a yearning to hit Summit again due to the convenience of our cabin. I had taken an ex-gf on some rental fs bikes down the forestry trails a few years back and had some fun, so when I heard about Summit wanting to make something a little more hardcore of course I wanted to check it out.

A quick glance at the hashtag "snowsummit" on instagram left me in search of a step up that looked like a blast. It didn't dissapoint Big Grin
photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1010740_10151528494962515_1429971925_n.jpg

There were 2 trails open, Miracle Mile and Cruiser, with a third still in the works. Both were equally challenging and labeled black diamonds / expert only trails. Hey, we're young (24-25) and dumb, so black diamond = fun! Haha. Either way we both had a great time and neither of us went down. After he took off I turned the GoPro on HD and tried to clean the trails as quick as I could. I managed about an 8 minute run down Miracle Mile, and about 9 on Cruiser.

Of course, whats a reply without a video too Wink This is Miracle Mile, Cruiser is uploading now.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 11:44 Quote
^^ Decent run bro^^ Lucky you having a cabin at the foot of S.S. We were also there on Sunday,no lines at the lifts Smile Try to hit on the weekends,it's so close to L.A. you can't beat that.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 12:38 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
^^ Decent run bro^^ Lucky you having a cabin at the foot of S.S. We were also there on Sunday,no lines at the lifts Smile Try to hit on the weekends,it's so close to L.A. you can't beat that.

Thanks! I had a blast. Chair 2 was "line-less" all day long! Chair 1 had what? maybe a 4 minute line (10-12 bikers) at worst? Did you see me at all (guy in the picture)? I had a GoPro recording all day long and tried to catch/ run down/ whomever was in front of me if I could!

Here is Cruiser

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 17:16 Quote
Are you usually up there on Sundays? That's when we go. Seems loke a lot more younger/inexperienced riders on Sat. I really love when they stop on the course to talk...WTF!! Cruiser is just OK. It's got some fun sections but mostly it's a lot of..well...just cruising until it ties into Miracle. Miracle is pretty much working the whole way down,more like a real race course. I'll look for you next time. I'll probably the only (older) guy you see with a Kona Operator and a single crown fork on it. A lot more fun racing other guys down than just solo runs......having somebody chasing you is a little more motivation Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012897
Mobile Version of Website