On-One Lurcher Build Plan; YOUR HELP WANTED!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
On-One Lurcher Build Plan; YOUR HELP WANTED!
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 4, 2013 at 21:40 Quote
On Monday I will place my order on a On-One Lurcher 29er Carbon Fiber Hardtail 19.5" Frame. My goal is to build a decent XC race bike for $800-$1000USD (not including the frame) using brand new parts from online retailers. I already have the brakes, handlebars, saddle, and seatpost taken care of. Here are a few requirements:

-The fork has to be a 100mm travel 29er fork with a tapered steerer tube.
-The bottom bracket has to be a press-fit for a 92mm shell.
-The bike already comes with a On-One Smoothie headset, so I don't need one.
-The front derailleur has to be a direct mount.
-I would prefer to run a 2X10 or 3X9 setup. I am open to Shimano or SRAM, but I would like it to ALL be one or the other.

Now, with that said, I would like some help deciding what components to put on this bike. Show me your build plan within the requirements!

Thanks!

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 7:53 Quote
I would look for a build kit for your drivetrain. A lot of online retailers have them also you local shop can get them depending on which catalog they use. I personally us sram. I use a 1x10, but we don't have any long climbs here in TX. But a 2x10 should do you fine. Your drivetrain is going to cost quite a bit depending on which level you choose. As far as fork I like rock shock, whether a Sid or Reba, you can't go wrong.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 16:05 Quote
mtnbiker23 wrote:
I would look for a build kit for your drivetrain. A lot of online retailers have them also you local shop can get them depending on which catalog they use. I personally us sram. I use a 1x10, but we don't have any long climbs here in TX. But a 2x10 should do you fine. Your drivetrain is going to cost quite a bit depending on which level you choose. As far as fork I like rock shock, whether a Sid or Reba, you can't go wrong.

yeah, I'm personally more of a SRAM person, but I have not gotten to use Shimano stuff as much. I have looked online and I have seen a few listings, but the problem is is finding a build kit with a direct mount derailleur. I guess I'll have to get everything eparate then. I might need a cheaper fork then the Reba RL, depending on how quickly I want this build done. I was thinking Rockshox Recon Silver TK SOlo Air 29er with the tapered steerer. I think they also make a solo air XC32 with a taper for 29er, but I would have to check.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 18:57 Quote
Mr88high wrote:
mtnbiker23 wrote:

yeah, I'm personally more of a SRAM person, but I have not gotten to use Shimano stuff as much. I have looked online and I have seen a few listings, but the problem is is finding a build kit with a direct mount derailleur. I guess I'll have to get everything eparate then. I might need a cheaper fork then the Reba RL, depending on how quickly I want this build done. I was thinking Rockshox Recon Silver TK SOlo Air 29er with the tapered steerer. I think they also make a solo air XC32 with a taper for 29er, but I would have to check.

Check out second hand forks I've seen recon golds for $250 NZD ($215 US Dollar). Forks are one of those parts that you don't really want to replace later so you really want to get something good and something that will last. But if it's between those forks you have mentioned go for the recon.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 19:25 Quote
If you find an online retailer the has a build kit, call them and ask if you can switch derailluers. I have done it. I did a build kit when I built my first bike. Buy a used fork. You can always rebuild it when it goes out.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 19:30 Quote
enduro86 wrote:
Mr88high wrote:
mtnbiker23 wrote:

Check out second hand forks I've seen recon golds for $250 NZD ($215 US Dollar). Forks are one of those parts that you don't really want to replace later so you really want to get something good and something that will last. But if it's between those forks you have mentioned go for the recon.

Alright, but the SRAM website is very confusing. I have called my LBS and they do not have a Rockshox Recon Silver 29er Solo air with tapered headtube. I just need to find a good fork that has a tapered headtube. I don't really want to risk it by buying used 29er forks, since it is a very important bit of the bike. But i'll check it out.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 19:31 Quote
mtnbiker23 wrote:
If you find an online retailer the has a build kit, call them and ask if you can switch derailluers. I have done it. I did a build kit when I built my first bike. Buy a used fork. You can always rebuild it when it goes out.

Alright, I'm looking for a X7 or X5 2X10 build kit. I havent found many results other than kits from hong kong on ebay, with rediculous shipping costs. any luck?

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 19:53 Quote
I don't know where to find a x7 kit at. X9 yes. You might have to build it piece by piece. All I can say is I have had good luck with used forks. All mine have been used and all have lasted several yrs before I had to rebuild.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 23:14 Quote
Jensonusa.com has x7 build kits, good price and I think shipping is free for Americans

I run a Reba set at 100mm on my lurcher, love it! I've had excellent luck with many, many different used forks from PB

You'll really enjoy this bike, it's a surprisingly capable bike. I run mine SS

Make sure you get the right crown race with yours, I had to order one separate as I got the wrong one. No big deal.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 23:23 Quote
Mr88high wrote:
mtnbiker23 wrote:

Alright, I'm looking for a X7 or X5 2X10 build kit. I havent found many results other than kits from hong kong on ebay, with rediculous shipping costs. any luck?
Have u tried CRC? And how much are you looking to spend on a fork?

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 10:56 Quote
I built my Lurcher one month ago. 100mm Reba and 2x10 Shimano XT groupset. In my case I ordered the Token press-fit including fitting from the On-One UK website, so far it's worked flawlessly with the XT double crankset. I have an MS Excel table with all components, prices and weights, but not sure how helpful this will be to you since I'm based in the UK... I could PM or email it to you if you're interested.

Regards

Posted: May 8, 2013 at 21:34 Quote
mtnbiker23 wrote:
I don't know where to find a x7 kit at. X9 yes. You might have to build it piece by piece. All I can say is I have had good luck with used forks. All mine have been used and all have lasted several yrs before I had to rebuild.

Alrighty thanks!

Posted: May 8, 2013 at 21:37 Quote
ferday wrote:
Jensonusa.com has x7 build kits, good price and I think shipping is free for Americans

I run a Reba set at 100mm on my lurcher, love it! I've had excellent luck with many, many different used forks from PB

You'll really enjoy this bike, it's a surprisingly capable bike. I run mine SS

Make sure you get the right crown race with yours, I had to order one separate as I got the wrong one. No big deal.

Awesome, I think I saw your avatar on the MTBR forum for the Lurcher. I plan on running a Rockshox Reba or Recon Silver. Can you get me a link to a X7 build kit? Thanks, I can't wait to get my frame on Friday! So stoked!

Posted: May 8, 2013 at 21:39 Quote
paracetamol wrote:
I built my Lurcher one month ago. 100mm Reba and 2x10 Shimano XT groupset. In my case I ordered the Token press-fit including fitting from the On-One UK website, so far it's worked flawlessly with the XT double crankset. I have an MS Excel table with all components, prices and weights, but not sure how helpful this will be to you since I'm based in the UK... I could PM or email it to you if you're interested.

Regards

Yeah, our of curiosity I would love to see your buildplan. I'm more of a SRAM fan myself, but the Shimano XT seems to work well too on bikes I've tried. PM me pleaseSmile

Posted: May 8, 2013 at 21:44 Quote
enduro86 wrote:
Mr88high wrote:
mtnbiker23 wrote:

Have u tried CRC? And how much are you looking to spend on a fork?

Yeah, I have looked at pricepoint, chain reaction, universal cycles... I did find one website where you can make your own build kit... The cheapest stuff I can get is $673 for a full X9 setup... Ouch. That's why I want to stick to X7 if I can. I'm looking at the $150-$375 range for forks. My fork needs to be 1&1/5 to 1&1/8th tapered, and an air fork with 100mm travel.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011912
Mobile Version of Website