Anyone know about Racing Bro Boxxer 35mm low friction seals from TFTuned?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Anyone know about Racing Bro Boxxer 35mm low friction seals from TFTuned?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 8, 2013 at 6:10 Quote
Hello Pink bikers!

I have a pair of 2010 Boxxer Races. I have done some fettling with the fork to make them feel more plush and they do feel good most of the time, the small bump is still a little poor though. I only weigh 65KG (150lb) and so the slight stiction that seals create causes small bump sensitivity to suffer.

I have read about most other aftermarket seals on the market and they get mixed reviews at best, these caught my attention though because TF Tuned who are quite well regarded for servicing in the UK recommend these seals.

I have done a lot of googling and found nothing on them. So has anyone on here heard anything about Racing Bros seals being used on anything (specifically Boxxer), or better used them themselves?

Cheers!!!

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 10:54 Quote
+1, Im curious to these too, I figured Id just buy them but I also found another company doing low friction seals however I feel TF are probably the best way to go with a better reputation. I am wondering if anyone has read or more importantly used these.

I googled and this was the only thread I could find.

OP ironically we seem to be working on the same thing, shim stacks and low friction Smile I may be a few months behind you though.

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 15:24 Quote
slidways wrote:
+1, Im curious to these too, I figured Id just buy them but I also found another company doing low friction seals however I feel TF are probably the best way to go with a better reputation. I am wondering if anyone has read or more importantly used these.

I googled and this was the only thread I could find.

OP ironically we seem to be working on the same thing, shim stacks and low friction Smile I may be a few months behind you though.

Ha ha, I like to fiddle.

I went and bought these. They are AMAZING! The stiction is pretty much none existant now Big Grin

Just make sure you have the tools to get the old seals out and the new ones in, I had a nightmare putting the new ones back in as I didn't have the seal installer tool. Thankfully one of these (see below) 60mm pipe end caps fitted perfectly around the seal and made it easy to knocked it in with hammer. In the end took me 30 mins from start to finish. Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/images/products/BW6G.jpg
P.S. Buy the lower service stuff (unless you have grease/oil already). Grease the crap out of the lowers and oil the foam seal things well.

Posted: Jun 27, 2013 at 23:06 Quote
Good to know, I'll grab a set than. The only length I won't go to will be the stanchion coating seems like a ridiculous amount of money.

Posted: Jun 28, 2013 at 1:37 Quote
slidways wrote:
Good to know, I'll grab a set than. The only length I won't go to will be the stanchion coating seems like a ridiculous amount of money.

Ha ha, yea I looked at that for a laugh but never seriously considered it. With the seals the forks move with the slightest not of a bump. They really are brilliant with these seals.

Be aware though in effect less stiction means less damping :p

Posted: Jun 28, 2013 at 2:17 Quote
ThEGr33k wrote:
slidways wrote:

Ha ha, yea I looked at that for a laugh but never seriously considered it. With the seals the forks move with the slightest not of a bump. They really are brilliant with these seals.

Yeah I figured ill get them while I do the shim stack, no point Tuning the stack and retuning the fork only to drop stiction and need to do it again.

Posted: Jun 28, 2013 at 4:57 Quote
slidways wrote:
ThEGr33k wrote:
slidways wrote:

Yeah I figured ill get them while I do the shim stack, no point Tuning the stack and retuning the fork only to drop stiction and need to do it again.

You looked into getting a hold of shims? You look at the vivid ones? I think now I got paid I shall order those, and some body armour that fits, off DH for a little while (might be why I am doing all this reading ha ha) longer after using my elbows as brakes...

Posted: Jun 29, 2013 at 0:49 Quote
No haven't found some where to get them( I want to make sure they are a good quality, even the smallest bend in a shim will Preload the stack and I want to know they have good thresholds so they will be accurate.

I emailed the RS importer for Australia, waiting I hear back.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 4:15 Quote
Hi Guys looking at the racing bros seals too.

Ive gone for the seals 3rd down on this page
http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-35mm-2010-Boxxer-Parts

I notice it says wipers seals but I assume you remove the old boxxer seals and replace them with the foam ring?

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 5:21 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Hi Guys looking at the racing bros seals too.

Ive gone for the seals 3rd down on this page
http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-35mm-2010-Boxxer-Parts

I notice it says wipers seals but I assume you remove the old boxxer seals and replace them with the foam ring?

Aye that is the case, I think most of the friction loss is due to the foam ring vs oil wiper seal.

To put your mind at ease about this mod, most rockshox forks come with foam rings, which makes you wonder why Boxxers don't??

THREAD UPDATE;

Also, as an update to the thread, I have had these in 3 months and gave them some real hard work and they are great!!!

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 5:37 Quote
Thanks for the help. Wasn't sure whether you needed a set of normal boxxer seals as well. Ive never had a problem with sticktion on mine they have been good in that respect but seals don't last 5 min before they are leaking so maybe ill get better from these

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 5:39 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Wasn't sure whether you needed a set of normal boxxer seals as well. Ive never had a problem with sticktion on mine they have been good in that respect but seals don't last 5 min before they are leaking so maybe ill get better from these

They weep a little, but less than the stock seals! You might not have noticed stictkion, with these you will notice them being smoother I can pretty much guarantee Wink

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 5:40 Quote
A waterfall leaks less than mine. I rode fort bill on Saturday and had a river running down the back of my lowers.

Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 5:42 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
A waterfall leaks less than mine. I rode fort bill on Saturday and had a river running down the back of my lowers.

Shit! Did Antur Stiniog and after a full day of hard use (very rocky terrain) I had a tiny bit on top of a small part of one of the seals... Practically nothing though tbh.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2013 at 6:15 Quote
Did you grease up the foam rings or use something like foxes float fluid?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009134
Mobile Version of Website