Recomending products...

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Recomending products...
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 9, 2013 at 6:24 Quote
that aren't specificaly for your bike, but are useful for the sport...

Currently i'm not using gloves, i'm riding with foams and using climbers chalk to keep my hands dry. it stops my calouses swelling and ripping off, it's alot cheaper and my hands don't feel as bad as gloved...

Also using 'climb on' its a climbing product for hand recovery, it sems to help, definitely reduces the ache in my hands the days after long sessions of riding.

high intensity running socks; they have thicker material around the toes and ankle, i find cheap socks get unpleasant if i'm riding for a long time..

what else you got pbers?

Posted: May 15, 2013 at 12:19 Quote
Well, I'm so new I don't even have the box my trials bike is coming in yet, but my PLAN is to ride gloves on some cushy lock-ons for now, and then maybe go to foam - that is the most popular, right? - if I see the need....

Any recommendations for shorts and undergarments? I mean, that sounds odd, but we're not sitting at all, so we have no need for a chamois like our "other bikes" shorts.....

I'll use my Teva Pinner shoes with thicker socks, thank you for that recommendation!!!

I almost always just run sleeveless wicking athletic shirts, and not a big deal to get a few at Target, Kohl's, or the local department store.

I have a Giro Feature helmet, and I'm in love with that cheap little sucker, I'll tell you what... SUCH a good lid for what it is!

Thanks!

Posted: May 15, 2013 at 13:27 Quote
Five-Ten Spitfire shoes.
C4 lock on grips (dirt cheap from Chainreaction). They somehow managed to sneak on to all my bikes by now.
Echo freewheel, the TR model. The new SL model seems to not survive for long.
Echo SL crank arms (ISIS compatible).

Magura Smile

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 1:10 Quote
togood2die wrote:
Well, I'm so new I don't even have the box my trials bike is coming in yet, but my PLAN is to ride gloves on some cushy lock-ons for now, and then maybe go to foam - that is the most popular, right? - if I see the need....

Any recommendations for shorts and undergarments? I mean, that sounds odd, but we're not sitting at all, so we have no need for a chamois like our "other bikes" shorts.....

I'll use my Teva Pinner shoes with thicker socks, thank you for that recommendation!!!

I almost always just run sleeveless wicking athletic shirts, and not a big deal to get a few at Target, Kohl's, or the local department store.

I have a Giro Feature helmet, and I'm in love with that cheap little sucker, I'll tell you what... SUCH a good lid for what it is!

Thanks!

unless it's cold where your riding ditch the gloves and get on the foams asap, start working on your callouses haha...

I often wear some compression shorts and will ride with mma or mtb shorts, i like specialized ones, i've found they aren't restrictive at all (Y) it's best if you feel pretty naked when you ride trials (no heavy/tight clothes, and nothing in your pockets)

fivetens if you can afford them! try and get ones with the large circle pattern, i destroyed my spitfires in no time, i prefer the freeriders.

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 4:47 Quote
Very good, thanks!

I'll snag a set of foams for sure.

I literally JUST bought the Tevas, so that'll be what I'm stuck with for the time being, but I'm sure they will work well. I've heard plenty of good things about them!

Amz-searched the compression shorts; anything to keep the giblets out of the way, correct? Eek

Thanks!

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 5:00 Quote
pretty much, i'm using 'skin360' and nike combat brand ones but anything is good, regular boxers ride up to easily for my liking. consider a compression top for under your regular top instead of a hoody for riding in the cold... much less weight/baggyness/etc. and your shorts should not limit your legs movement at all, when naked Wink bring your knee up as high as you can, and then rotate your leg outward remeber how much you can move, your shorts should let you do the same movement but stop you from getting arrested for showing the world your nads.

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 6:03 Quote
Yeah.... that last part's probably good....

I'm not one for super-cold riding, and it's already 85F here during the day, so I'm more worried about heatstroke than anything!
When winter hits here (fall is a fine time to ride), I just stop outdoor stuff, for the most part. I could do it in Colorado back in the day, what with less humidity, but here the winter is too wet, and it still chills me to the bone. Just not used to it yet.

Thanks!

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 10:15 Quote
Compression shorts are a fantastic alternative to boxers when doing any form of intense physical movement: football, rugby, running etc. They help with blood flow and muscle recovery too!

I've been pondering grips and seen a fair bit about lock ons Vs foams. I'm guessing foam is foam right, and all branding that goes along with said foam is purely us being tarts? I only tend to wear gloves if it's chilly, I prefer the feel through the bars and subsequently run softer grips on my AM bike and my commuting hack. I understand that trials is a completely different style of riding, and a different type of wear and tear happens to your palms, so it would be good to know about the foam!

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 10:25 Quote
crunchss wrote:
Compression shorts are a fantastic alternative to boxers when doing any form of intense physical movement: football, rugby, running etc. They help with blood flow and muscle recovery too!

I've been pondering grips and seen a fair bit about lock ons Vs foams. I'm guessing foam is foam right, and all branding that goes along with said foam is purely us being tarts? I only tend to wear gloves if it's chilly, I prefer the feel through the bars and subsequently run softer grips on my AM bike and my commuting hack. I understand that trials is a completely different style of riding, and a different type of wear and tear happens to your palms, so it would be good to know about the foam!

Can you back up the above claim, of compression shorts increasing blood flow and aiding the recovery process?

On a different note, yes, foam grips are pretty much foam grips.
Neoprene is the material, and pretty much the only difference besides shape, is the density of the foam.

Magura Smile

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 10:35 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:

Can you back up the above claim, of compression shorts increasing blood flow and aiding the recovery process?

They help keep your thighs warm which in turn assists with reducing strains and fatigue. Pretty certain words to that effect are printed on the labels of my Nike and Under Armour compression gear Smile

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 10:53 Quote
crunchss wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

They help keep your thighs warm which in turn assists with reducing strains and fatigue. Pretty certain words to that effect are printed on the labels of my Nike and Under Armour compression gear Smile

I've seen that too, but I meant if you had seen anything besides marketing BS that backs it up?

Magura Smile

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 11:07 Quote
Meh, I have never ridden with them, but I will attest to compression SOCKS and their viability as a sport and recovery aid...
I use compression socks for skiing (seasons past), and the biggest problem for me was always trusting the boot and leaning shins-in, and so while I was learning I DESTROYED my legs 'cause I tried to keep stable without most of the boots' own strength.
Legs were always a disaster after just an hour or two past leaving the slopes, but when I got turned on to compression socks, it helped with the pain first, and the pairs I wore were comfy and made specifically for skiing, so it aided me in my learning curve too.

I mean, I know that's not shorts, but take it for what it is!

Oh, and another thing - I LOVE Smartwool undergarments; keeps you warmer, and as a virtue of that, the extra warmth aids in relaxing muscle and cartilage, and helps stress in joints. I were the boxer briefs to help with lower back problems, and call me crazy, but I've noticed a looser ROM since I started a few months ago. They're the price of a tank of gas in the U.S. but I love mine!

Thanks!

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 13:06 Quote
OI!!!

Swap this up to parts for one second, please? Big Grin

Ya'll like caged pedals, like the Echos, or platforms?

EDIT: Am I reading correctly: Caged trials pedals are lighter but less durable, with very good grip, and trials platforms are more durable, with a slight weight penalty, and depending on the pins, have comparable grip.
Yes / no / maybe so? Razz

Having not ridden anything yet, I'm not passing judgement, but I want opinions to add to what will be my own preference as soon as I can get on the new bike.

Thanks!

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
That's a matter of religion, or taste at best.
Echo makes fine examples of both, so does many others.
All pedals go south at some point when used for trials, at least they do for most people.
Truth be told, my Echo platforms are still in one piece, as I'm trying hard to get used to the UCI rules (no touching with anything but the wheels).

Magura Smile

EDIT: I'm currently working on a hollow steel platform pedal. That ought to offer the benefits of both types, and be fairly durable.

Posted: May 16, 2013 at 13:51 Quote
So you're a comp rider, then?

YIKES. Eek

You scary!

I'll just stay over here it my failsauce corner!

Thanks!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012085
Mobile Version of Website