Anyone care to show me some trails when I visit BC in June/July

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Anyone care to show me some trails when I visit BC in June/July
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2013 at 12:18 Quote
So I am going to be visiting BC from the 13th June - 4th July, we are basically doing a big trip around the whole area so will cover a lot of ground. I am visiting with my parents (I am 23 though so its not as if im a kid travelling with my parents), so its more of a sightseeing trip but I am a massive mountain biker and will have to do some riding whilst there.

So we wil arrive in Calgary on the 13th June then we have hired a motorhome for 1 week, we plan to travel to Vancouver via Crowsnest Pass, Cranbrook, Nelson, Princeton etc (the south route). Then spend a few days in Vancouver (22nd-25th Jun) and also a few days on Vancouver Island (25th - 29th) then on up to Kamloop for a couple of days and will be staying in Calgary for the last few days.

So my question is, where on earth should I go riding with all those locations to chose from? I ride an Ibis Mojo HD and would say am quite a competent rider (fitness wise), usually and ride AM stuff usually, love a good 'epic' long ride, bit of adventure and high altitude, you get my drift...

I am also wondering if anyone would be willing to show me round somewhere, since I dont have much time to spend exploring as such.

My final query is about sourcing a bike, since I am travelling with my parents I wont (unfortunately) be bringing a bike so is there a lot of bike hire locations around? and if so what sort of price are we talking for a hald decent AM bike? Or would anyone be kind enough to lend me a bike and show me a few trails? I would obviously buy you a few beers and maybe a few more... I would quite happily do the same for a stranger visiting my country so was hoping some kind fella might do the same for me?

P.S. I will be living in the Alps next year so if anyone were to help me out I would be more than willing to return the favour!!!

O+
Posted: May 10, 2013 at 17:19 Quote
Vancouver - Obviously if you can make it to Whistler I highly suggest it. You will have a tonne of fun up there. North shore and Pemberton have some good trails as well.

Vancouer Island. Live here so I can give you a bit more insight. Are you going to be on Southern Vancouver Island? Ie Victoria? It's a big Island... Hartland MTB Park has some good trails (Torpedo, Who's your Daddy, Lumpy Pants etc). It's a lot of more "all mountain" trails though. Tzouhalem in Ducan (about a 45 minute drive from Victoria) has really good trails, and is easily accessible. Prevost (also in Duncan) has really good DH trails, but you have to shuttle up to the top.

Nanaimo and Cumberland also have good trails but I don't know too much about them and how accessible they are.

Posted: May 10, 2013 at 17:53 Quote
Silver star near Vernon's always a good time Wink

O+
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 13:25 Quote
You gotta go to whistler, lots to do for non bikers and of course some of the best trails in the world too. I think it will be more fun for your fam than Vancouver for sure (i really don't care for Vancouver, except for the biking on the north shore). Also I never really understood the motorhome vacation thing that all the euro tourists seem to love, too much time driving not enough time hanging out lol, you are gunna blow by a ton of cool places because you need to get from Calgary to Vancouver in such a short time. There is great riding in crowsnest pass, and really everywhere. I have lived on the coast (victoria, Sechelt, whistler) my whole life and still haven't ridden everywhere within a days drive.

I think some of the best riding will be on van island but remember there's not really any riding in tofino where I bet you are going. Van island is like 600km long, lots of places to ride, best spots are probably Duncan and Cumberland/comox valley. Convince your family to go to duncan lol.... Great riding and not much else haha. Victoria has a bit of fun riding if you go there.

I live in whistler so if you come up here shoot me a message if I'm not working I am always keen to ride.

As far as bike 'hiring' (in canada you hire people, you RENT a bike :p) it will be fairly easy in Vancouver (get them from endless biking) and Victoria (oak bay bikes) and in whistler you can't walk 2 minutes without going by a shop renting any high end bike you could want. Prices range like $60-$100, and in whistler DH bikes for the bikepark are usually ~$130 for a day. I don't know too much about other areas, if you get to Vernon and go up to silverstar it will be easy too.

Posted: May 19, 2013 at 22:20 Quote
You can also google Meetup Vancouver mountain bike...it's a free group that has various rides from burnaby mountain to whistler. It posts the skill level and times of the ride. If you don't know your way around can be a great way to meet good people and find great trails. Is free to join.

Posted: May 25, 2013 at 10:30 Quote
You might want to rent a bike in Calgary when you arrive and drop it off when you leave. Check out
http://www.sportsrent.ca/home.html

It will cost $140 to $200 per week depending on bike. Maybe you can negotiate a better deal for 3 weeks.

The IMBA "epic" Seven Summits Trail is a good XC ride, but most likely you are too early in the year for it to be free of snow. Have a good trip.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2013 at 9:49 Quote
Since you are going through the south Okanagan, may has well visite Penticton. Have a look on the local club's site; http://www.bikepenticton.com/

Have a look at the mapping. You can also post in "Wanna ride?" and one of us will show you around.
Enjoy your trip!

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 16:24 Quote
Guys, thanks very much for your responses, its very much appreciated!

Neubiker - Would love to go to Whistler but just not going to have time, anyway anything I dont get done, I will move to BC one day so will do it then! I am going to be in Nanaimo for a few days when im on the Island so I guess you cant help too much, but to be honest, even if you just mention a few names I can google would be a great start!

sush - Ive seen a fair few videos of Silver Star and it does look bloody good!

Kevin - We are going to be in Nanaimo when we are on the Island, can you recommend anywhere there? Looks like Comox valley you mentioned isnt too far...

CanadaDave - thanks for that, looks like a great site!

TwistedBench - That looks just like what I am after! thanks.

Bricklin - I will definitely stick a post in the forum on there, hopefully someone can show me some trails!

Posted: May 29, 2013 at 7:04 Quote
LeeroyJenkins wrote:
Guys, thanks very much for your responses, its very much appreciated!

Any time Razz If you've got more questions just ask Smile

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 8:40 Quote
On your way through the Crowsnest Pass stop in Fernie. We are a small mountain town with a huge MB culture, including a lift access bike park.

http://www.bikefernie.ca/
http://www.tourismfernie.com/
http://www.skifernie.com/summer/index.aspx

We have group rides on Thursday evenings at 7pm meeting at a shop on main street called Guide's Hut.
There are 4 bike shops all within a 3 block radius, I *think* all of them rent bikes, 3 for sure.

We have a beautiful campground/provincial park, with lots of bike trails starting there.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/mt_fernie/

I would be happy to show you a ride or 2, depending on timing. Feel free to send me a PM.

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 10:37 Quote
Hey, i am in Nanaimo and if im not working, would be happy to go ride. Arrowsmith bikes in town i think does rentals, oak bay might (not sure either way), and trails are all over. Send me a message with some details and we will see what we can swing!

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 at 18:47 Quote
I'd be happy to show you riding areas close to calgary. There are lots of am trails closeby including a couple of epic rides. PM me when you're around.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012450
Mobile Version of Website