Lower Back Pain/Core Strengthening

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Lower Back Pain/Core Strengthening
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 21:17 Quote
Hi Guys,

So of course it is less than 2 months until my trip to Canada and my lower back starts playing up again! I slipped a disc in my spine a few years ago when I came up short on a gap, which jolted it outta place. I strengthened my back and had physio for like 9 months and it finally got better..... Now I think all my riding (and not stretching enough) has thrown it out again.

So question - anyone else have similar problems? What do you do to avoid it (apart from obviously stretching heaps)? And what kind of core strengthening to Pinkbike Riders do?

Posted: May 18, 2013 at 0:32 Quote
I always get back pain from not stretching and have been told by numerous people that not stretching ham strings off can cause/worsen back pain.

Posted: May 19, 2013 at 20:58 Quote
start deadlifting!! it will definitelly help correcting your posture and also strenghtening your whole back/core.

Posted: Jul 5, 2013 at 18:58 Quote
Stretching is key! I also use the foam rollers as well, especially after a DH day. It really does a great job getting the knots out and keeping you limber.

I also have lower back pain and it is core but not always. I have also found out that the Psoas was causing me my problems, well, not all but alot. This was putting alot of pressure on my spine because it was tight and pulling on it. Once I incorporated alot of stretching in my hips it helped alot.

Posted: Jul 5, 2013 at 20:59 Quote
First off the obvious is see a doctor, mainly because you need to known if this is a disc issue again or just a simple muscle or tension pain. I think others haave pointed the best approach, which is flexibility mixed with strength training. As you have had a back issue in the past it would be my advice (none proffesional of course) to get a trainer to help at least at the start, More so that deadlifts and the like require perfect posture otherwise it does more damage to the back as it will load it wrong.

Also dont discount the legs, the legs and those muscles really run up into the lowerback, If you have ever laid down on you back and keeping the leg straight raised it up towards your head, you will feel it pull and stretching the lower back.

I would add, general posture is a big one too, I have shocking posture myself, but keeping that lumbar curve throughout the day will help the muscles memory to maintain that correct position. while simultaneously not putting excess stress during the day

Posted: Sep 10, 2013 at 14:15 Quote
I build & maintain jumps all the time, it's what I call the "Free Gym" (shovel / axe / saw / dig / rake / pack / sweep)

When digging / raking, stand in a lunge stance. Use your legs to move the shovel as you rock from forward lunge to backward lunge.

When throwing dirt, "rock" the shovel off of your knee (like a teeter todder). You push with 1 arm, pull with the other, and the knee is used as leverage thus saving your back

Bonus tips:

YOGA + fit ball = longevity

Stand on 1 foot with your eyes closed, it helps with balance & ankles

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 at 7:52 Quote
KingsgateDirtJumper wrote:

Bonus tips:

You can also try closing your eyes before you get to your starting point. It takes away the until balance you obtain with the yes open.

If you stand still then close your eyes you have established a feel for balance and position during that open eyes.

I like to close my eyes walk a few steps and to the side or whatever (just to have no referance of where you are in space) then try and do it, makes it much harder at least for me haha.

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 at 10:01 Quote
I used to have horrible lower back pain and numbness in right foot after damaging a facet joint playing lacrosse in high school a few years ago.

Went to a very reputable chiropractor for a month or two and physical therapy for a month but it was really expensive and not helping very much.

I did some of my own research and started asking more questions of both my chiropractor and physical therapist. Started a journal keeping track of when my back hurt and what I had done leading up to it acting up.

Best decision I have ever made. Once I had about three weeks logged it became crystal clear... the more sedentary I was, the more pain I experienced.

On days when I woke up, IMMEDIATELY did some aggressive dynamic stretching and some plyo for 3-5 minutes, and then went for a 45-75 minute bike ride after eating breakfast, I was not plagued by back pain at all during the day. This was even true if I spent the rest of the day sitting with bad posture at my computer.

On days when I woke up, sat at computer for a few minutes, ate breakfast, sat at computer for a few hours, drove somewhere, sat somewhere, drove somewhere, stood around somewhere, possibly went biking, then did some more sitting, I was MUCH more likely to experience pain in some form at some point during the day.

After identifying a potential way to cure my back pain I decided to aggressively pursue it..

Starting about 5 months ago, I began completing a short routine every morning right when I woke up. I also decided to significantly alter my posture and do my best to stay semi-active when in the car.

My morning stretching/warm up routine was very simple:
Standing russian twist (literally just twist your upper body left to right) 15 seconds x2
Touch toes and hold for 20 seconds x 2
Arm hang from pull up bar for 30 seconds x 1
Sit down and lean forward touch toes 20 seconds x 1
Down dog yoga stretch for 10 seconds x 3
Mountain climbers for 15 seconds x 1
Touch toes and hold for 20 seconds x 1
Knees to chest hold for 20 x 1
Plank for 30 seconds x1

I went through that list quickly but not "fast", the goal was to NOT come anywhere near sweating but just to simply "activate" my body.

Along with the routine each morning, I began flexing my core as often as possible when sitting down. At first it is very challenging to consistently keep a flexed core.. but it becomes second nature after a few days. When I say "flex" I don't mean flex like a bodybuilder on stage.. just simply tighten your stomach up and maintain a STRONG lower back while doing so.

I also made some drastic changes to my driving habits, I used to not put much thought into my posture while driving. First off my seat was in too relaxed off a position so I fixed that. Next, I moved the steering wheel a little lower/closer so that I would be pushed back into my seat relatively hard if I put two hands firmly on the wheel. Lastly, rather than just sitting still during my drives. I started occasionally "wiggling" around in my seat every few minutes in order to keep everything active. I really feel as though this had a significant impact in terms of soothing my back.

Lastly, I correct one of the mental problems I had related to my lower back. I used to get semi-stressed out when my back would start hurting and sometimes I would convince myself it was a SERIOUS problem when I knew it wasn't and had been told it wasn't. I began thinking something along of the lines of "you're a human, humans are built physically tough and our bodies want to function properly and efficiently without pain". I channeled this thinking into my posture and riding habits and everything clicked.

To sum it all up, I have had zero issues with back pain for the last 3 months. I am still practicing everything noted above but not as aggressively and they have become habits so it is not a "task". As my posture has improved, and my pain has evaporated, I have noticed a drastic increase in core strength and have even developed a pretty righteous six pack. Granted I do mountain bike 30-40 miles a week and workout 2-3 times a week but I had been doing that for years.

No, it wasn't "easy", and yes, I did slack off a few times. The key with curing SIMPLE lower back pain is to be DEDICATED. You can't just lolligag and EXPECT it to go away. Take control of your life/body and put in the effort required to improve them.

/semi-rant over

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 at 21:15 Quote
I would always use a physiotherapist over a chiro.

personal preference.

The key though is to find a good one.

Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 16:29 Quote
slidways wrote:
I would always use a physiotherapist over a chiro.

personal preference.

The key though is to find a good one.

Yeah I went to chiro first then a physical therapist, neither really helped much other than providing knowledge and examples. I am glad I went the "solo" route and saved a lot of money and time. Also learned a lot about my body.

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 at 1:29 Quote
HorNyOne wrote:
start deadlifting!! it will definitelly help correcting your posture and also strenghtening your whole back/core.

be careful with this one, deadlifts are great but only if you're healthy, you shouldn't be deadlifting to fix a issue.
fix issue than strengthen with exercises like deadlifts.

note: deadlifts are very forum important, poor form and you will do back damage

Also for the sake of the thread. consider your overall body. lower back pain can be caused from out of line hips, or legs or feet or a combination. its always good to get a posture assessment done otherwise you're treating a symptom and not a cause.

Gotta treat the cause of the back pain otherwise it will just come back.

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 at 5:51 Quote
slidways wrote:
HorNyOne wrote:

be careful with this one, deadlifts are great but only if you're healthy, you shouldn't be deadlifting to fix a issue.
fix issue than strengthen with exercises like deadlifts.

note: deadlifts are very forum important, poor form and you will do back damage

Also for the sake of the thread. consider your overall body. lower back pain can be caused from out of line hips, or legs or feet or a combination. its always good to get a posture assessment done otherwise you're treating a symptom and not a cause.

Gotta treat the cause of the back pain otherwise it will just come back.

Good point about the posture assessment. That was one thing my chiropractor did perfectly correct. Before he even considered manipulating my body like most chiropractors do he sent me in to get a positional MRI.

Posted: Oct 7, 2013 at 12:45 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Standing russian twist (literally just twist your upper body left to right) 15 seconds x2
Touch toes and hold for 20 seconds x 2
Arm hang from pull up bar for 30 seconds x 1
Sit down and lean forward touch toes 20 seconds x 1
Down dog yoga stretch for 10 seconds x 3
Mountain climbers for 15 seconds x 1
Touch toes and hold for 20 seconds x 1
Knees to chest hold for 20 x 1
Plank for 30 seconds x1

Great warm-up routine.... Sticky Note!

FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2013 at 14:48 Quote
I do a quick one in the morning... gets the blood flowing. It's not that hard but it gets your moving and you can ramp it up to as hard as you want.

20 push ups
25 crunches
15 leg lifts
25 squats
30 lunges... really just 15 with each leg.
50 jumping jacks
60 second wall squat.

Trick is... don't stop. You can actually run it twice in a row if you want.

It's helping me. I got way out of shape. 265 pounds. I went to the doctor last week. Was 245 with my clothes on.

I'm going to ramp everything up and cut beer out for the next 30 days. My snowboard season starts first weekend of January and I'd really like to get down closer to 230.

My body is a wreck. Partly because of injuries mostly because of inactivity. I'm a thick dude but I really should weigh closer to 205 so we'll get there sooner or later. Hopefully that'll help my knee and back pain.

FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2013 at 14:53 Quote
KingsgateDirtJumper wrote:
I build & maintain jumps all the time, it's what I call the "Free Gym" (shovel / axe / saw / dig / rake / pack / sweep)

When digging / raking, stand in a lunge stance. Use your legs to move the shovel as you rock from forward lunge to backward lunge.

When throwing dirt, "rock" the shovel off of your knee (like a teeter todder). You push with 1 arm, pull with the other, and the knee is used as leverage thus saving your back

Bonus tips:

I wish they'd get more fat dude yoga classes going. I'd love to get in to yoga but I'm not about to go to a class full of advanced hot chicks and start farting and grunting for a half hour.

I'd include one of those roles and a balance board on this as well. Balance boards don't seem like they're doing much until you aren't on it for a couple months. I jumped on mine for the first time in a long time the other day and... holy crap. Tired quick.

I jacked up my ankle over the summer. They said no break but didn't do an MRI. I have ZERO stability. Been trying to do some things for it but not much is working. It sucks. Makes riding fun. I get off center at all and my ankle gets pissed. It locks up and pops when I drive. I'm sure I tore something. Damned quacks.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014551
Mobile Version of Website