Not quite a scam but how would you handle this situation?

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Not quite a scam but how would you handle this situation?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 16, 2013 at 17:10 Quote
So on Wednesday morning I got a message from a user, saying they wanted to buy my brake and asked if I'd take $100/shipped.
I said no, but I could do $115 (or $110, that part of the message is gone) shipped.
He says all he has is $107. I said that's fine. I'll eat the rest if that's really all he can manage.
He asks if he should send it as goods/services or friends/family, I say goods/services that way he's covered.
So he changes his tune and says he only has $102.
I said I'd do $107, not $102.
He sends me a message saying "102 it is, thanks a tonne!" and he sends the money.

Which I just find plain rude. I was fine with $107, not $102. Yeah, it's only $5, but to try and cram a different price down my throat rubbed me entirely the wrong way.

I told him I'd refund him the money when I got home (I don't like accessing Paypal from my phone), that it wasn't what we'd agreed upon.
He sends me messages every couple of hours asking what's going on. I wasn't at home, clearly couldn't do anything about it.
He then sends me a message asking if I'd hold onto the money, and send him the brake and he'll get someone to send the other $5.
Fair enough. At least he's putting in the effort. I told him I have no problem sending him the brake if he'll get me the rest of the money we'd agreed upon.

Now he's acting quite belligerent, saying that I'm scamming him because he doesn't have his money or a brake (it's been literally one day since this started), that I'll never sell anything else to anyone on here and I'm just a huge scammer, an a*shole who's just crying over $5, etc. Which clearly I'm not. The audacity of sending an amount we didn't agree on and assuming that I'd be fine with it is what got me a lot more than the $5.
I did point out if I lost $13 on every item I sold I'd be out well over $1000.

He did ask for a tracking number, which I'll send him shortly (I just got in the door, didn't have it on me to send to him).

How would you guys handle this?
I've already shipped his item (which he doesn't believe) but he'll probably still cause trouble.
I intend to block contact with him after I send him the tracking number, seeing as he's now merely throwing insults at me.
Fair move?

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 4:56 Quote
You should have refunded him, as now, he may be the type to raise an issue with paypal. I hope not, but from his behaviour, he may be the kind who tries to screw you over any way he can. And I agree, he was ignorant in trying to get away with $102, as you'd agreed upon a price. Good luck, I hope it all works out!

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 5:15 Quote
I would of never sent it to him and sent his money back and sold it to someone who was not going to piss you about.

Posted: May 17, 2013 at 5:19 Quote
Yeah. He wasn't nearly as bad until I'd already shipped it oddly enough.
I've already called Paypal and they made a note of the issue. So hopefully nothing happens.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2013 at 15:48 Quote
While I am not sure how to deal with the upset individual, I would like to add that I have been dealing with Dizmo on the sale of a few items over the last 10 days and would say that my dealings with him have been nothing less than phenomenal. Responding to messages in a timely fashion, working out deals, and being up front and honest with the condition of any used merchandise.

Even though this is not Ebay or Amazon, I would definitely recommend Dizmo as a seller.

Posted: May 21, 2013 at 2:19 Quote
I would have refunded him, he got his way like he wanted...sounds like a spoiled kid...how hard is it to come up with 5 bucks. What a jerk, sorry this happened to you, hope everything works out.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007313
Mobile Version of Website