Schwalbe nobby nic on stans flow ex tyre blowing off rim

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Schwalbe nobby nic on stans flow ex tyre blowing off rim
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 22, 2013 at 12:48 Quote
Has anybody had any experience with schwalbe tyres on the new stans flow ex rims? Got my new wheels the other day and set them up to run tubless with my nobby nic tyres. The back one when on no problem and inflated and sealed fine, the tyre is one of schwalbe's tubless ready ones. The front tyre was a different story when inflating I reached about 35psi and the tyre blew off the rim with a massive bang! I tried it again to check the tyre wasn't ripped and it inflated fine and has stayed up since. The front tyre is a UST nobby nic.

Did a bit of digging around on the net and found that apparently you are not meant to run schwalbe tyres on the new stans flow ex rims because of this problem. There is a possibility the tyre will blow off the rim. Has anybody else had this experience?

I have not ridden them yet because I'm injured, ironically from a tyre folding off the rim under a sideways compression and I don't really fancy my tyre blowing off the rim next ride and another three weeks off the bike.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2013 at 14:00 Quote
I'm running Nobby Nic TLR tires on Stans Flow EX rims with Stans Sealant and they've been fine. I did have a tire blow off when initially installing them but I had them up to about 45 psi when this happened. Apparently your supposed to run under 40 psi and I didn't find that info until after. Once I got the tires seated, they've been great.

Where did you read about Schwalbe tires blowing off Flow EX rims? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Posted: May 26, 2013 at 2:26 Quote
I can't remember the exact site. I just googled stans flow ex schwalbe nobby nic and found a lot of stuff implying they are not compatable. I had the tyre blow off when installing them and looked up any problems they might have and it worried me a bit as I just had a bad crash a couple of weeks back. I had got some standard folding bead maxxis on them now, no reported problems with them.

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 11:42 Quote
I'm running Schwalbe Hans Dampfs on Flow EX rims, no trouble whatsoever. Inflated super easy, sealed nicely with no issues!

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 11:49 Quote
SamDF wrote:
I'm running Schwalbe Hans Dampfs on Flow EX rims, no trouble whatsoever. Inflated super easy, sealed nicely with no issues!

I think my problem was with the UST bead because it doesn't sit in the flow bead lock properly.

Posted: May 27, 2013 at 13:08 Quote
AAAndres wrote:
SamDF wrote:

I think my problem was with the UST bead because it doesn't sit in the flow bead lock properly.

Perhaps, I used the tubeless ready versions!

O+
Posted: May 28, 2013 at 7:42 Quote
After posting my reply a few days ago I decided to call NoTubes for their direct answer on this. I spoke with one of their techs today and he said that there are no issues running Schwalbe tires on any of their rims. BUT keep in mind that every manufacturer has some minor inconsistencies between product runs so you may get a set of tires that fit great, some that fit slightly loose and some that fit tight. I have two sets of Schwalbe tires and one set, the Nobb Nics, fit on the slightly tight side but weren't difficult to install and aired up nice and easy. Another set of Hans Dampfs were on the loose side and were somewhat problematic to air them up. I had to take out the valve core and use a compressor to get the initial beads set using a tube but a floor pump was all that was needed when I removed the tube and put in the sealant.

I hope this helps those who are or were considering Schwalbe tires.

JP

Posted: May 28, 2013 at 8:33 Quote
My nobby nics blew up fine too and were tight its just the ust one that was the problem. The maxxis ones I just bought we're a nightmare to blow up first time. They are just standard tyre designed for tubes. From what I understand they hook up much better on stans and as long as you have plenty of sealant are fine to use tubeless.

Cheers for taking the time to ring stans.

Posted: Sep 9, 2013 at 17:06 Quote
I'm running a nobby nic and a hans dampf on Arch EX rims. Seating the tire and inflating the tire were fine. However, I ran the nobby nic in the rear for about 2 months, including racing the Downieville Classic. The tire is toast. At least 6 punctures and one slit. I patched the tire from the inside, and it sealed up again but this was temporary. Sealant ended up spraying out on the last ride so I pulled it off the bike.

Granted I did ride some granite (Mr Toads SLT) which I could see putting some wear on the tire, but the short lifespan is ridiculous. A lot of the side knobs are eaten up on the inside and you can feel the tire kick sideways when the knobs roll over under when pushing hard into a turn. The compound is too soft.

On the other hand, the hans dampf has been pretty good. It's being run as a front tire which is getting a lot less weight / wear. But ironically it's the softer compound tire and still looks pretty good.

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 5:54 Quote
Yes I had this problem on stans flow rims gave up in the end . I now run the hobby nic on MAVIC SX rims and no problems at all . Do think the hobby nic is a great tire but sidewalls let it down big time . Often feeling rear wheel flexing/wobble and if I run the front at 35psi I bottom out on the rim when hitting sharp routs rocks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006957
Mobile Version of Website