Prime lens for MTB photography?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Prime lens for MTB photography?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 24, 2013 at 9:29 Quote
Just picked up a micro 4/3 body for cheap (Lumix G1, £100 with 6 months warranty). I got a cheap 50mm Olympus lens from a local junk shop, and an adapter for Olympus OM lenses on ebay, but I'm after something modern with autofocus.

What's a good focal length for MTB photography? Bearing in mind micro 4/3 is half the sensor size of full frame, so a 50mm lens is equivalent to a 100mm on a 35mm camera.

Been looking at the Olympus 17mm 2.8f, Sigma 19/30mm 2.8f, and the Panasonic 14mm Pancake. Are any preferred, or should I just pick up whichever I can get cheapest?

Thanks!

FL
Posted: Sep 25, 2013 at 12:31 Quote
Hey,

I am a DSLR full frame shooter so you'll have to do the reductions but I find my 70-200mm f2.8 to be the best lens for me. It gets you tight enough for the crystal clear close ups and puts an amazing bokeh on those long tele photo shots. Also it keeps my far enough out of the way of any riders.

Thats just my style though, I am not a fan of those big wide angle or fish eye shots i find they are just a little over used in most cases. Using a telephoto lens requires a bit more skill to since you are shooting a moving object and a decently close range.

Defiantly go with a f2.8 lens or lower you will NOT regret it. but the focal length is sorta up to you. Whats your style? what pictures stand out to you?

Hope this helps! happy shooting.

Posted: Sep 25, 2013 at 15:08 Quote
Heh, wow. It's been a while since I posted this! Since then I've bought about half a dozen lenses and acquired two film cameras. My flickr - https://secure.flickr.com/photos/joeofloath/

My main walkabout lens is a 19mm f2.8 Sigma EX. Not amazingly sharp or fast but the autofocus is great and it's a reasonable lens to learn on.

I also have adaptors that allow me to fit: Olympus 50mm f1.8 (OM mount), Fujinon 25mm f1.4 (C mount), and a Helios 44-2m (m42). I bought a 135mm f2.8 on ebay but it arrived with fungus in so I had to send it back.

FL
Posted: Sep 25, 2013 at 15:21 Quote
Haha my bad, I didn't even look at the date on the forum. But sounds like you have a good idea on what your doing now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008307
Mobile Version of Website