10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 12:16 Quote
baggy98 wrote:
Hi there,

Does this work with an 8 speed sram x7 shifter, have no need for any extra gears just a new rear mech

cheers

yes a shiimano 10speed clutch deraileur will work with an 8 speed sram x7 shifter. I'm currently using a sram x4 8speed wutg a zee deraileur. It works great though I do wear out cables more often.

Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 17:12 Quote
I have a SLX 10 speed clutch derailleur and shift it using a 9 speed XTR shifter. I am using a 2:1 travel agent that was designed for adapting road brakes levers to mountain discs. I installed it inline after the shifter, works flawless. No drilling, mods, nothing.

Kirk

Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 17:14 Quote
Good to know..... Going to try this

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 18:09 Quote
Thanks for the info!!

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2014 at 12:35 Quote
Modded long cage Shimano 10spd clutch SLX derailleur special magical shim filed down to .236 and voil I can use my Sram X7 9spd shifter with the clutch derailleur I have a lot of other ones I made I m thinking of selling them. If you want one let me know in the comments or PM and I ll send you one

Mashed potato phone pic.

Modded long cage Shimano 10spd clutch SLX derailleur, special magical shim filed down to .236, and voilà, I can use my Sram X7 9spd shifter with the clutch derailleur! The SLX long cage can take up to a 46t with the standard B screw, so one could theoretically run this with an OneUp 42t cog, and a 9spd Sram shifter and cassette.
I have a lot of other shims I made. If you want one, PM and I'll send you one.

Posted: Mar 4, 2014 at 22:30 Quote
Just set up a Zee M640 (Wide Range) on my 1x9 using SRAM 9spd. X.9 gripshift. Works flawlessly in the stand; haven't gotten it out on the trail yet. No spacers, etc. required. Running a 34t Race Face NW front ring with a SRAM 9spd chain and SRAM PG970 (11-34t) cassette. I'll update once I get out on it.

Update: once this system is dialed in, it is an absolute dream. Not enough "o"s in smoooooth. I believe in SRAMano. I really like the Shadow box set-up, keeps everything out of harm's way.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 21:02 Quote
I am very new to the mountain biking world. I currently ride a BLUR LT that has an X0 shifter on the back and a 9 speed cassette. I having been looking at options to eliminate chain slap. My local bike shop thinks the best option for me is to switch to a new style clutch derailuer. He said he said they are often able to use a 10 speed on a 9 for road options, but not sure for mountain bike.

He recommended I try the SRAM X7 10 speed for my application.

It seems to me that this blog was about the 10 spd clutch conversion, but I am not sure that I am following it.
Has anybody tried this set-up or have an alternative?

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 12:25 Quote
JLyon wrote:
I am very new to the mountain biking world. I currently ride a BLUR LT that has an X0 shifter on the back and a 9 speed cassette. I having been looking at options to eliminate chain slap. My local bike shop thinks the best option for me is to switch to a new style clutch derailuer. He said he said they are often able to use a 10 speed on a 9 for road options, but not sure for mountain bike.

It seems to me that this blog was about the 10 spd clutch conversion, but I am not sure that I am following it.

Keep your 9 speed system and just get a shimano 10 speed clutch deraileur (I recommend the Zee). Just get a spacer (I use and old V-brake space) and you'll eliminate chainslap plus if you run a single ring then you can eliminate then chainguide! For more info on setup just look through this forum.

Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 18:55 Quote
JLyon wrote:

I'm with SintraFreeride. Pick up a Shimano Zee Derailleur (make sure you get the right one based on your cassette size); they can generally be had for cheaper than the SRAM clutched Derailleurs. Don't obsess over spacers, etc. Try to install and set it up without any special engineering; I found that for me it just works. No special bolts or spacers required. If you look at the pictures of mine I did change the pulley and cable fixing bolt, but these are only for aesthetics.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 7:02 Quote
Hi guys - some help please if poss! I bought a Zee 10 spd rear derailleur. Tried to fit with my 9 spd Shimano XT cassette, but the Shimano 9 spd shifter (SL-M660, I think) is only moving the Zee across seven of the nine gears. I can see some of you guys here have had success with the SRAM X9 9 spd rear shifter, but I'm trying to figure out why that shifter would work any better than my current shifter - don't they simply move the derailleur the same distance? I'm confused! Don't mind buying a SRAM X9 shifter, if that'll help, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily. Thanks.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 7:42 Quote
larj wrote:
Hi guys - some help please if poss! I bought a Zee 10 spd rear derailleur. Tried to fit with my 9 spd Shimano XT cassette, but the Shimano 9 spd shifter (SL-M660, I think) is only moving the Zee across seven of the nine gears. I can see some of you guys here have had success with the SRAM X9 9 spd rear shifter, but I'm trying to figure out why that shifter would work any better than my current shifter - don't they simply move the derailleur the same distance? I'm confused! Don't mind buying a SRAM X9 shifter, if that'll help, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily. Thanks.

Hi Iarj, without going into too much detail, your shimano shifter will not work in this instance because the pull ratio is different than that of a Sram shifter. The Sram shifter works because it is close enough or right on the same ratio as the 10 speed shifter it is replacing. You're going to have to go with Sram on this one.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 8:34 Quote
Brilliant - many thanks for the quick reply, agro. Much appreciated!

O+
Posted: May 1, 2014 at 14:29 Quote
Hello,

This is a very informative thread. I am considering trying this but I was wondering if the size of cassette will have any bearing. I am currently running a 11-28 setup and would be purchasing the "DH" version of the Zee 10 speed derailer to use with my X9 Shifter. I havn't seen any post on using an 11-28 cassette with this mod and curious if anyone knows of any extra issues I might have.

Thanks for any replies.

Dan

Posted: May 1, 2014 at 16:51 Quote
danman55 wrote:
Hello,

This is a very informative thread. I am considering trying this but I was wondering if the size of cassette will have any bearing. I am currently running a 11-28 setup and would be purchasing the "DH" version of the Zee 10 speed derailer to use with my X9 Shifter. I havn't seen any post on using an 11-28 cassette with this mod and curious if anyone knows of any extra issues I might have.

Thanks for any replies.

Dan

I wouldn't think you'd have any issue using the "DH" version. What I would wonder is if there would be any issue running a smaller cassette with the "FR" version. All I could find in a quick search was this: "The DH derailleur has a specific actuation arc that will closely follow closely spaced DH ratio cassettes, up to 11-28T. " Whatever that really means. I don't know if the other posts I've seen in other places are using the DH and smaller cassettes and that's where all the special spacers to make up for cable ration differences, etc. come into play. I can say that my set-up work quietly, quickly and flawlessly without any special accommodations, it truly is like a SRAMano engineered drive train; it just works.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013243
Mobile Version of Website