10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
10 spd clutch derailleur conversion for 9 spd
Posted: Feb 24, 2015 at 21:39 Quote
Since I happened on this thread yesterday and had some spare parts around- I thought it would be logical that if a 10sp Shimano derailleur works with a 9sp Sram shifter, a 9sp Shimano shifter should therefore work with a 10sp Sram derailleur.

As far as I can tell that does NOT appear to be the case. Works about as well as a full 10sp system with a 9sp cassette...

Nobody has mentioned trying this setup so I thought I'd post a PSA Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 1:17 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Also just an FYI for people looking to copy the xo dh set up you can remove the largest 2 cogs add some spacers and run it 7 speed by adjusting the same way described above. That is how I ran mine all last season with zee deraileur and xo shifter. Now I just run all 10spd zee reduced to 7 spd and it is a little smoother.

boom!

photo

Posted: Mar 10, 2015 at 10:59 Quote
Thanks for starting this thread. Almost bought new 10 speed cassette and shifter.

One question for any of you out there.
I have a 28t 9 speed cassette, 9 speed x9 shifter.

Is there any reason I should get a dh zee derailleur over a fr zee derailleur. My understanding is that the fr should work perfectly fine on a 28T cassette. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:08 Quote
pav4 wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread. Almost bought new 10 speed cassette and shifter.

Is there any reason I should get a dh zee derailleur over a fr zee derailleur. My understanding is that the fr should work perfectly fine on a 28T cassette. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The fr will work just fine. The dh is just limited to running smaller cogs and stays more compact in that range. The fr is a little longer to accommodate the 36. Do u just want the option to run 36 or is there a price difference between the fr and dh and just trying to save money?

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:12 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
pav4 wrote:

The fr will work just fine. The dh is just limited to running smaller cogs and stays more compact in that range. The fr is a little longer to accommodate the 36. Do u just want the option to run 36 or is there a price difference between the fr and dh and just trying to save money?
they are the exact same price, so just go for the fr option

Posted: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:14 Quote
I just do not want to be limited should I ever consider running more than 28T in the back. The price is the same for both derailleurs.

In the past all my bikes have have 34-36T cassettes. I will be giving the 28T a go for the first time on my new build.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 8:38 Quote
Without reading through the whole back log of posts, because I'm lazy. Will the 10spd shimano mech work on a 9spd shimano cassette and shifter? I've got a 2015 Genesis latitude 10 and would like to upgrade the shimano alivio rear mech to a clutch style one and eliminate chain slap.

Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 8:42 Quote
letford wrote:
Without reading through the whole back log of posts, because I'm lazy. Will the 10spd shimano mech work on a 9spd shimano cassette and shifter? I've got a 2015 Genesis latitude 10 and would like to upgrade the shimano alivio rear mech to a clutch style one and eliminate chain slap.

No. The mod will only work with a 9 speed SRAM cassette and shifter.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2015 at 3:16 Quote
question on this
will a 10 shimano sti shifter work with a xt crankset 28 40 t with a 10 speed 11 34 t cassette and a 9 speed sram or shimano long cage rear dr? and as for the front mech should it be a road front dr os a mountain front dr?
having a hard time with this one

Posted: May 23, 2015 at 4:32 Quote
no a SRAM 9 speed shifter and and a 10 speed shimano mech work together

Posted: May 23, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
It appears I was wrong in my previous post:

agro wrote:

I have had no issues running this mod with a SRAM shifter, a Shimano SLX 10 speed derailleur, mated to a Shimano 9 speed cassette. Just wanted to put that on the record so others know it can be done.

limbs wrote:
question on this
will a 10 shimano sti shifter work with a xt crankset 28 40 t with a 10 speed 11 34 t cassette and a 9 speed sram or shimano long cage rear dr? and as for the front mech should it be a road front dr os a mountain front dr?
having a hard time with this one

And to add to iffy's comment, you need a SRAM shifter and a Shimano derailleur; a Shimano 9 speed derailleur won't work either because the pull ratios are different. You might be able to set it up and have half the gears running smooth but you'll never get them all shifting and silent. As for the front you will need a mountain front derailleur. This time however Shimano and SRAM will play nicely together so you can mix and match brands.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
agro wrote:
letford wrote:

I thought that SRAM and Shimano 9sp cassettes had the same spacing?

Why would this only work with the SRAM cassette?

I get the SRAM 9sp shifter and 10sp Shimano derailleur are a must combo for this mod, but I really thought any 9sp cassette would do.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 11:10 Quote
DaleE wrote:
agro wrote:
letford wrote:

I thought that SRAM and Shimano 9sp cassettes had the same spacing?

Why would this only work with the SRAM cassette?

I get the SRAM 9sp shifter and 10sp Shimano derailleur are a must combo for this mod, but I really thought any 9sp cassette would do.

DaleE if you notice, I am correcting myself in the previous comment. Hence why I wrote, "It appears I was wrong in my previous post:"

I am currently using a Shimano 9 speed cassette so yes, SRAM and Shimano 9 sp cassettes have the same spacing.

Posted: Aug 23, 2015 at 6:42 Quote
Guys
Check this out!!!!
Best modification ive used so far.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=173506

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 5:43 Quote
On the subject of clutch RD, is there any way of modding a RD to have a clutch? Got an X0 super short mech and want to increase the tension to stop the chain wrecking the chainstay

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051020
Mobile Version of Website