ColoRADo DH riders

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
ColoRADo DH riders
O+
Posted: May 20, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
pressmanpaul wrote:
Looking for trails to shuttle near Denver

Mt falcon can be shuttled too but apex is better. Both can get pretty crowded though.

...and keep in mind Apex is alternating directional, so ride on even numbered days https://www.jeffco.us/1190/Apex-Park

O+
Posted: May 20, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
I would also check out Floyd Hill DH, it's not for shuttling you have to earn your turns, but it's a really fun DH run and a fairly short climb up and around the back to the summit and back down again (I'd climb the "black" off to the left when you hit the road instead of going up the "blue" which is really ideal for coming back down and is a PITA to climb). Easily get 2-3 or even more laps if you're really fit in.
Warren Gulch is sorta shuttleable from Idaho Springs although it's kinda a long drive (https://www.trailforks.com/trails/warren-gulch/), though it's likely not clear yet since trail work hasn't been able to happen because of the covid situation so it's probably still got lots of downed trees and there's some new property owner that revoked the USFS easement on the lower portion that crosses the property, there was talk back in February at a COMBA meeting about a new trail to route around the property but I'm certain that hasn't happened yet as there haven't been any trail team work days due to social distancing requirements. Trails are getting beaten up Frown

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
Thank you for details I will be checking all out! If anyone willing to show a new guy around lmk!

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
Anyone on front range want to join shuttle ride Warren gultch.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
pressmanpaul wrote:

You talking this trail?
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD639938
https://www.trailforks.com/trails/warren-gulch/

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 11:05 Quote
pressmanpaul wrote:

"...though it's likely not clear yet..."

Similar to the previous response, I'm 99% sure Warren Gulch isn't clear yet, there's lots of downed trees. There's a COMBA Trails Team meeting tonight and I'll ask if there's any status update on it. Since it's on USFS land there's lots of federal requirements around who and when chainsaws can be operated (ie: fire restrictions, approved operator, etc.) but I know from the meeting back in Feb. there was discussion about hiring a professional builder to get Warren Gulch back in shape and address the route around the property owner issues on the lower portion.

So yeah, I wouldn't plan on going to ride Warren Gulch yet, you'll be disappointed as it's basically unrideable

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
Thank you so much for info! Rode it a few years back and it was awesome. Such a shame had no idea.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
No worries. Tonight will be the first Trail Team meeting I'm joining (virtually) since Feb. and apparently we're finally starting to get some trail work plans together, there's been limited work days at Floyd Hill on Wednesdays to try to complete some of the trails still in progress. I'm looking forward to hearing about possible updates on Virginia Canyon in Idaho Springs, back in Feb. word was those trails were all approved, flagged, and ready to start digging (which would include 2 or 3 shuttleable DH trails), but I haven't heard anything since. Will hopefully have something worthwhile to share tomorrow.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
Any word on if and when that new bit of trail up in Apex is getting worked on? Or is that more Jeffco/ Golden Giddyup trail crew?

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Any word on if and when that new bit of trail up in Apex is getting worked on? Or is that more Jeffco/ Golden Giddyup trail crew?

IDK, I believe Apex is more Giddyup crew but in conjunction with COMBA. I'll listen for an update on that this evening and if I don't hear anything I'll ask the lead for JCOS work. From my understanding things have been very slow/behind due to the covid situation, but I'm also pretty new on the trails team and involved/focused more on the Evergreen area trails (Sisters, Floyd Hill, Staunton, ...warren gulch holds a lot of interest)

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
How the general consensus on if and when Trestle and Keystone will open. I’m an out of towner but we but I come out every year and was still planning on it but I wasn’t sure if the lifts would run or if local would even want people there (which I would understand)

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
How the general consensus on if and when Trestle and Keystone will open. I’m an out of towner but we but I come out every year and was still planning on it but I wasn’t sure if the lifts would run or if local would even want people there (which I would understand)

I doubt it'll happen. Purely rumor, however according to two guys who live in Keystone that I was chatting with at the top of Floyd Hill the other week Keystone is not likely to happen this season. One of them said he works mountain maintenance and does early season trail work at Keystone to get the trails cleared and drained and that he's usually got his start date by now (this was about 2 weeks ago) but said he's had no communication from VR and that his managers aren't even working. Having worked for Vail Corporate marketing in Broomfield years ago, they really only make money off lodging, f & b, and rentals/lessons. Seeing as though f&b operations around the state are still shut down in CO (we're still under "safer at home" discouraging tourists and locals from traveling). I don't see how they can be renting out DH pads or conducting lessons, let alone loading the gondolas/lifts. I'd follow closely what course Angel Fire takes given they've had a couple "test run" weekends, but I'd be surprised if Keystone or Trestle ended up opening this year, as disappointing as it is Frown I haven't bought a Trestle pass yet for this reason, and we usually attend a HikeMS fundraiser at Keystone every July that I believe has been called off.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
The mtbparks pass.com site has a master list of all parks and scheduled opening dates. Snowmass is the first to publish an opening date. I'm hoping others will follow suite soon.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014810
Mobile Version of Website