ColoRADo DH riders

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
ColoRADo DH riders
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
I’m looking into living in the frisco/silverthorne for a few months this year (September-December), and wanted to know when the rising season ends around there? Can you still get rides (Trail or dh) into October/early November? Or does it get snowed over shortly after parks close in September.

Thanks

Gilad

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
you can ride, but it will definitely be snowy, icy, and cold

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
When I used to live in Breck about 15 years ago typically we'd get first substantial snow late September / early October and that snow would hang around all season, creating a nasty deep layer and avalanche danger. Things feel like they've shifted some to where the precipitation starts a bit later, but then again this past winter started off pretty early. Regarding temps, September riding is generally great, October is a bit more variable but still usually good temps, by November it's starting to get pretty cold most of the time and December, usually bitter cold (for me at least) in Summit County. Precipitation is really hit or miss, by I'd say by November you can expect to be riding snow. FWIW, no bike parks (aside from Frisco) in Summit County and Trestle usually closes just after Labor Day weekend. You are that much closer to Fruita, Moab, Gunnison which are really nice late fall/early winter.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
I’m looking into living in the frisco/silverthorne for a few months this year (September-December), and wanted to know when the rising season ends around there? Can you still get rides (Trail or dh) into October/early November? Or does it get snowed over shortly after parks close in September.

Thanks

Gilad

September: yes
October: maybe
November: nope.

Always ride with a rain jacket / shell that time of year, can go from 70s and sunny to 30s and snowing / sleet in an hour.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
FWIW, sounds like Three Sisters and Elk Meadow in Evergreen are closed, not sure for how long, but I'd assume that Three Sisters more so than Elk Meadow. And likely the Muhly Trail at Sisters is closed for a while once this thing gets completely out.
https://www.cpr.org/2020/07/13/elephant-butte-wildfire-near-evergreen-spurs-evacuation-orders-for-700-homes/

Got a message from a buddy with EFR around 4:00 about the fire, walked outside and saw the smoke. Ok. Things started getting kinda crazy from there.

Went back in to finish up some work and came back out around 5:15 to see the fire had jumped the ridge line.

Thankfully we got a quick downpour, only about 10 minutes, but enough to quiet things down, it's still burning some, everything smells like campfire. But yeah, don't expect to come ride Three Sisters this week I'd say.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 21:44 Quote
It was crazy to ride back in there and see all the deadfall just hanging around waiting for something like this, same thing over in Enchanted Forrest. I know in CA there was regular usage of con-crews to clear that sort of thing and build burn piles to help manage wildfire risk in the same sort of areas.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 21:50 Quote
Elephant Butte is owned by Denver and managed by Denver Mountain Parks, or rather not really managed at all. There was a rumor that they were planning to make the social trails on Elephant Butte official and work with COMBA and other groups to develop legitimate trails/access up there, but I think that was just a hopeful rumor. Denver is very difficult to work with in terms of being open to even discussing development of trails/access on a lot of the land they own up here. I believe they're just sitting on the land in case they get into financial trouble and need to sell it off to developers to cover debts, and it would be much more difficult to do that if people had a connection with that park. Look at the maps, there's lots of prime mountain real estate owned by Denver around the Evergreen area.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
Thank you for the help guys! Hopefully i see you on the trails come september.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 17:37 Quote
sorry guys dont know how to copy and paste a link from mtb parks.com. just wanted to show the current bike parks that are open and closed. MTBPARKS.COM/BIKE PARK SEASON UPDATE.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
Does anybody know of any races that are happening throughout the rest of the year in SW colorado, Durango area? Not sure if the town series is still on or not, but I would like to race some bigger races (Enduro/DH) and not have to drive too far. Thanks

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
Anyone ride "Happier Camper" that opened up today at Trestle? Probably try to get up there next week, but curious if it's just new side lines on Happy Camper or an actual new trail entirely?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDR3M4ZFDzm/?igshid=add7o2eb5ktl

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
chacou wrote:
Anyone ride "Happier Camper" that opened up today at Trestle? Probably try to get up there next week, but curious if it's just new side lines on Happy Camper or an actual new trail entirely?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDR3M4ZFDzm/?igshid=add7o2eb5ktl

Havent ridden it yet but it's a new extension at the end of happy camper

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007479
Mobile Version of Website