13 Specialized Carbon DEMO or 12 Trek Session 9.9

PB Forum :: Downhill
13 Specialized Carbon DEMO or 12 Trek Session 9.9
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 30, 2013 at 11:56 Quote
Hey guys. I wanted to get your opinion on these 2 bikes. I currently ride the first generation redesign of the DEMO 8. Owned it for 3 years and was never able to get it too feel awesome. The bike just feels dead. It's slack and low, but the suspension platform has no feel. It feels very point and shoot. I can't get any feedback from the rear. The Boxxer also isn't very plush compared to many other bikes I've ridden. It has a Boxxer WC and FOX RC4. At this point I think I'm going to sell it to a friend and pick up another rig. I do love the way this bike looks though. Best looking DH bike out now.

I've heard great thing about the Session 9.9. With it being more lively, less racy and overall a more neutral and fun bike to ride. I've heard similar things about the Session 88. Probably because of the higher BB and not as slack geometry. Getting a demo ride on any of these bikes is not easy.

I've also heard the newer DEMO's with the CCDB has a slightly custom tune from Specialized and is suppose to make the bike feel more progressive and fun overall. Are the new DEMO's much different?

Anyone on here ride both? Any recommendation or feedback? I've narrowed my options down to an overstock 2012 Trek Session 9.9 for a pretty sweet deal and selling the DEMO as a complete, or picking up a Carbon DEMO with CCDB + FOX 40 and building it up. The Carbon DEMO's has no clearance issue with 40's. I do kind of wait to target a lighter DH bike.

Appreciate any feedback from more experienced people on this forum. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Cheers!

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 12:32 Quote
while i understand the demo 8 isnt the demo 9, why would you buy another demo? you may like the new demo, but then again, you may find that it reminds you of your demo 8..

i say branch out and try the session. ive never ridden on it, but if its good enough to take gwin to the podium that many times, then its good enough for you.

edit:
its also worth noting that every review ive read about the session has been positive. i havent really read too many neg things about the demo 9, other than the fact some people cant dial in their rear spring rate..

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 15:14 Quote
Thanks. I should note my current Demo 8 is a 2011.

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 15:47 Quote
That's a nice problem to have...
I'd opt for the Session myself. The rear suspension setup on the Trek is great, something you say was a slight issue with the Demo. The rear shock of the Session is separately tuned by Fox for Trek and their setup guide is pretty good (and actually available). I've spent a little bit of time on an 88 and had a few rides on a 2012 9.9 too, really enjoyed both. I think the sizing is a little small maybe (I'm 6. 2 and I think I'd buy an XL...)

That said, I know a few people with Demos and they seem pretty pleased!

Posted: May 30, 2013 at 16:27 Quote
michaeldorian wrote:
Thanks. I should note my current Demo 8 is a 2011.
sorry, i thought the demo 8 was the older model and the demo 9 is the new model..

i dont actually like specialized so i dont follow them.. i just assumed 8 was the old one and 9 is the new guy, since i only see new demo 9s

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 20:29 Quote
They don't make demo 9s anymore

The number refered to the rear travel in inches they have made demo 7,9s in the past but just demo 8s now.

That said I love my demo I have a hard time imagining switching to anything else

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 20:46 Quote
Hey man, you already have your particular gripes about the Demo you currently ride. The carbon Demo build I'm sure will be better, but I don't think it's gonna have the difference you're hoping for thats going to blow your socks off.

I picked up a Session 9.9. Was in the same boat you were. What made up my mind was pretty simple, every single one of my closest friends that I rode with on a weekly basis had a Demo, and spending that much money on a rig I wanted to be different.

The Session is an absolute dream. It might not be as planted as the Demo, but it's a lot easier to get off the ground, and has a much more playful rear. But the bike is extremely predictable, and tracks with confidence. It's proven, and mine gets better every time I ride it!

Hopefully a photo of my new rig will help you make a decision. Smile

The new rig.

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 20:56 Quote
If you want feedback from the rear dont get a demo.

The session 9.9 is pretty nice, but personally I would get a V10c

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 22:20 Quote
ericlikesbikes wrote:
Hey man, you already have your particular gripes about the Demo you currently ride. The carbon Demo build I'm sure will be better, but I don't think it's gonna have the difference you're hoping for thats going to blow your socks off.

I picked up a Session 9.9. Was in the same boat you were. What made up my mind was pretty simple, every single one of my closest friends that I rode with on a weekly basis had a Demo, and spending that much money on a rig I wanted to be different.

The Session is an absolute dream. It might not be as planted as the Demo, but it's a lot easier to get off the ground, and has a much more playful rear. But the bike is extremely predictable, and tracks with confidence. It's proven, and mine gets better every time I ride it!

Hopefully a photo of my new rig will help you make a decision. Smile

The new rig.

Damn bro. That is bad ass. Thanks for the feedback. The Demo thread on here alone shows how popular that bike is. Looks like you have the 2013 frame. Question - what size frame are you running and how tall are you? I'm trying to gauge size. No one has any sessions near me to even sit on.

Did you ever ride one of your friends Demo? How would you define planted?

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 22:20 Quote
Nobble wrote:
If you want feedback from the rear dont get a demo.

The session 9.9 is pretty nice, but personally I would get a V10c

Yeah. Feedback was what I was looking for. That lively active feeling.

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 12:54 Quote
michaeldorian wrote:
ericlikesbikes wrote:
Hey man, you already have your particular gripes about the Demo you currently ride. The carbon Demo build I'm sure will be better, but I don't think it's gonna have the difference you're hoping for thats going to blow your socks off.

I picked up a Session 9.9. Was in the same boat you were. What made up my mind was pretty simple, every single one of my closest friends that I rode with on a weekly basis had a Demo, and spending that much money on a rig I wanted to be different.

The Session is an absolute dream. It might not be as planted as the Demo, but it's a lot easier to get off the ground, and has a much more playful rear. But the bike is extremely predictable, and tracks with confidence. It's proven, and mine gets better every time I ride it!

Hopefully a photo of my new rig will help you make a decision. Smile

The new rig.

Damn bro. That is bad ass. Thanks for the feedback. The Demo thread on here alone shows how popular that bike is. Looks like you have the 2013 frame. Question - what size frame are you running and how tall are you? I'm trying to gauge size. No one has any sessions near me to even sit on.

Did you ever ride one of your friends Demo? How would you define planted?

Thanks man! It is indeed a 2013 frame. I'm on the taller side, coming close to 6"4 so I definitely ride a large. Anything above 6" pick up a large and look no further. I'd say the geo on the Session tends to keep the frame a little on the shorter side too.

I ride the Demos all the time. I think they're superior in the corners, and like to stay planted a little better in the really rough stuff. All about setup though, my session tracks way better than any of the Demo's right now but that's just purely suspension. I like the Freeride aspect of my bike a lot, I think it's a much better bike in the air, and way easier to throw around. Likes to get off the ground, and is totally cool with being in the air once its there. The demo takes a lot of hussle and energy to get playful on, and I don't enjoy riding my bikes like that.

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 12:56 Quote
michaeldorian wrote:
Nobble wrote:
If you want feedback from the rear dont get a demo.

The session 9.9 is pretty nice, but personally I would get a V10c

Yeah. Feedback was what I was looking for. That lively active feeling.

Sorry, didn't see your second question.

By planted, I mean how playful the rear is acting. The Demo is pretty numb and straight in the back, likes to "track" a little more then having the playful rear end the Session does.

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 13:50 Quote
@ericlikesbikes - Thanks for all the awesome and detailed feedback Extremely helpful stuff.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015940
Mobile Version of Website