Avid Elixir CR SL vibration/squealing issue

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid Elixir CR SL vibration/squealing issue
  • Next Page
Posted: May 22, 2014 at 8:23 Quote
Oh the woes of Avid brakes. Let me add my 2 cents.

I have a 2013 Stumpjumper, stock Avid Trail brakes. Increased the front rotor from 180 to 200....no problems. I had a 160 rotor on back that did not make a peep. I Took the 180 rotor from front and moved it to back...that's when things went to pot. Howling and vibration. Here are the steps I took to fix it:

Sanded rotor and pads, re-seated pads - NO
Used a C shaped, one piece mounting spacer bracket - NO
Used post spacer mounting bracket - NO
New pads, organic - less noise, but did not eliminate problem. Still howled on fast descents - NO
Used automotive non-squeak disc brake grease between rotor and hub and all metal parts of mounting bolts - NO
Added washers to mounting bolts to raise calipers. I read in one forum that sometimes calipers sit too low on the rotor - NO
Purchased new rotor - so far, this has worked. I have ridden for about 25 miles and no high speed vibration.

If my brakes begin to vibrate and make noise again, my next move is to purchase new brakes. Apparently, Avid does not make good brakes. A search of their name on any bike forum pulls up numerous threads of people having problems with their brakes. From what I gather, many people have had good experiences with Shimano or Magura brakes.

Posted: May 22, 2014 at 21:29 Quote
Aengis wrote:
Oh the woes of Avid brakes. Let me add my 2 cents.

I have a 2013 Stumpjumper, stock Avid Trail brakes. Increased the front rotor from 180 to 200....no problems. I had a 160 rotor on back that did not make a peep. I Took the 180 rotor from front and moved it to back...that's when things went to pot. Howling and vibration. Here are the steps I took to fix it:

Sanded rotor and pads, re-seated pads - NO
Used a C shaped, one piece mounting spacer bracket - NO
Used post spacer mounting bracket - NO
New pads, organic - less noise, but did not eliminate problem. Still howled on fast descents - NO
Used automotive non-squeak disc brake grease between rotor and hub and all metal parts of mounting bolts - NO
Added washers to mounting bolts to raise calipers. I read in one forum that sometimes calipers sit too low on the rotor - NO
Purchased new rotor - so far, this has worked. I have ridden for about 25 miles and no high speed vibration.

If my brakes begin to vibrate and make noise again, my next move is to purchase new brakes. Apparently, Avid does not make good brakes. A search of their name on any bike forum pulls up numerous threads of people having problems with their brakes. From what I gather, many people have had good experiences with Shimano or Magura brakes.

Did you read my comment before yours? What did you sand the rotors with?
NO problems with any of my Avids.

Posted: May 27, 2014 at 9:20 Quote
One time I used Emory cloth that plumbers use to clean pipes before they solder. Another Tim I used sandpaper (220 grit).

Update on new rotor - the howl came back.

I'm done with Avid. I Just ordered Shimano brakes.

Good luck everyone with your Avids.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014301
Mobile Version of Website