What is your "EDC" Essentials Bike Kit

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What is your "EDC" Essentials Bike Kit
Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 13:33 Quote
Pretty much any chain tool that uses a solid pin is good, the only ones I have bad experiences with are the cheap-o ones that have a cylinder shaped pin made from thin metal. Those bend and become worthless very quickly. I use the park tools mini chain tool and have had no problems, they even sell replacement pins for cheap in case you do manage to bend one.

And you do need to cut the chain quite a bit shorter to convert to single speed. It is a great way to get yourself out if you break a hanger far from the car. Just remove the derailleur entirely (easiest if you have a tool that can clip the cable to get the end cap off), tuck the cable away, decided on the gearing you want, line the chain up on the chain-ring and cog of your choice, and cut the chain as small as possible to fit around them. Sometimes you need to compromise the exact gearing because for it to work well you want to make sure you can get a good snug fit (for some options the chain will be too loose, but if you take one more link it wont fit, in which case you should pick another gear) and make sure that the chainline is fairly straight.

I've only seen this done twice in my medium-length career of biking, but both times it saved my buddies hours of hiking.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 20:51 Quote
I do carry my shock pump... I haven't used it often, but I did have scratches in my shock once and fork stanchion once which caused air leaks. I had to stop every 15-20 minutes to re-inflate, but I was able to complete the rides and still have fun.

As for the first aid kit, I made mine, which I carry in a big ziploc bag so it stays dry. After putting mine together, I did see some nice ones in waterproof cases at MEC (outdoors sports) for similar prices though... had I known, I would have gone that route.

Happy trails... and ride safe.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 21:05 Quote
Here's a link to the MEC website with the first aid kits: http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=first%20aid. Other stores in Canada and other countries probably carry these or similar ones as well.

And while we're talking about first aid.... remember to always let someone know EXACTLY where and for how long you're riding if you go alone.

If you didn't already know, a mountain biker was found dead yesterday on Mt Fromme (North Vancouver, BC). My most sincere condolences to his family and friends...

I was riding there alone on Sunday. My wife knew, but I'm not sure she would have known where exactly on Fromme and for how long... which would have been of limited help to any rescue team. It got me thinking.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 22:23 Quote
Water
Protien bar
Spare tube, patch kit, pump and tire levers
Smartphone with gps capability and topo maps of the area downloaded
Emergency contact info
Leatherman
Zip ties
Set of allen keys
Light jacket if the weather looks questionable.
Basic first aid supplies
25oz water bottle on the frame for longer rides

All of this pretty much maxes out the capacity of my Camelbak Velocity. For short rides in and near town I leave some stuff behind.

Posted: Jun 11, 2013 at 23:23 Quote
Basically it's just a high pressure cabable pump with a presta and Schrader options. Not sure what brand though

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 8:31 Quote
ironxcross, thanks for the info on the chain tools. I think I'll try to find a good multitool with the chain tool built in... one less thing to carry. I found a nice on from Crank Brothers, though it's pretty pricey at $65. http://www.crankbrothers.com/tools_pica.php
Hopefully it never comes down to making a single-speed, but at least I'll be prepared if I have to.

the-Amputee, thanks I think I found some. Most people say they don't like them too much overall because they're so slow at pumping tires. Serfas makes this one https://www.serfas.com/products/view/54/referer:products%7Cindex%7Cpumps%7Cmini-pumps

jpcars10s, thanks for the whole setup, I appreciate it. What kind of pump do you carry?

eldrummer, thanks for the link, and for the advice. Wouldn't want to get stuck out there, that's terrible for him and his family. I'll definitely keep that in mind, and especially since it would be hard to locate someone on a long trail.

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 10:07 Quote
TOILET PAPER!!! It's a must on every kit. (No Joking)

Posted: Jun 12, 2013 at 10:52 Quote
Ya I have never had to go SS personally out on the trail, but I've put my chain tool to use 3 times. Twice helping buddies who snapped hangers super far from the trail head, and once when I came across a stranger on the trail who broke a hanger and had no clue what to do. It was pretty sweet to blow his mind by setting him up single speed so he could pedal back, after he had planned on hiking out. This used to be a lot more convenient before there were 3 types of chains on the trail... but oh well.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 6:48 Quote
Nice! Yeah that's a good idea. I figured some leaves would do. As long as they're the right kind. That would be a good idea though, for sure.

Yeah I guess a chain tool sounds like a definite definite must. Hiking sucks.

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 6:56 Quote
Up until a few months back I'd never had chain problems myself but the last few months I've managed to have plenty and a chain tool and powerlink have been life savers

Posted: Jun 13, 2013 at 17:37 Quote
leviprice wrote:
Alright, well it sounds like there's enough to carry that some kind of backpack is a must. It's nice that one 16oz CO2 fills one tire. I've heard mixed reviews on if it's good to carry or just unnecessary.

I'll definitely have to get a powerlink, I didn't even think about that.

k3818919, What would I use the 4,5, and 6mm bolts for? I guess you never know. Maybe I could keep them all in a small zipper bag so they don't get lost.

DC1988, maybe I'll get a small leatherman too. Could come in handy. Suggestions?

4mm can be used for impromtu jockey wheel bolts, cleat bolts, various braze on and cable and chain guide bolts and rotors. 5mm for stems, shifters and brakes same with 6mm. 1 or 2 of each is usually sufficient. Even tho we do pre-ride bike inspections before a guided ride people still loose stuff somehow. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 6:47 Quote
Sweet, thanks k3818919,

Sweet, I'll make sure to snag some of those. You never know what'll go missing. Thanks

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 at 5:37 Quote
Well the other guys pretty much covered it. But I do have 2 packs, one for short rides and one for long rides.
For short rides where I could easily get in touch with civilization, I make use of a belt bag and carry some basic stuff like:
Patch kit
tire pump
compact tool kit with mini pliers
chain tool
money and phone
pocket knife
quick ties
(Usually just a belt bag)

For rides which cover a lot of ground
Same as above but add:
Spare tube
Water
Utility/survival knife
Power bar
a big hanky (which you can use for binding, dressing or support)
First aid kit if designated medic in a group.

Chain tool is really important...I broke my chain a couple of times on days that I did not bring it...I also broke my drop out once whilst not bringing the chain tool...Oh how I regretted it.

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 20:18 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
Up until a few months back I'd never had chain problems myself but the last few months I've managed to have plenty and a chain tool and powerlink have been life savers
for a broken hanger I carry a spare hanger.I got used from lbs for 5$

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 21:05 Quote
Most rides I just bring:
Topeak Alien 2 multi-tool (awesome)
Tire Levers
Spare Tube
Water
Cell phone
Extra power links for chain
Pump

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013556
Mobile Version of Website