Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
jernejk wrote:
taifi wrote:
P4P5 wrote:

Looks nice!
Lep! Razz

more pictures?

I can post just these two currently. If there is request for a specific shot (detail), I can make it in a day or two...

photo

photo

Hi,
Some pictures with weldings - seat tube, down tube, etc
Thank's

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:23 Quote
aminal wrote:
XT or something shimano. Sram just seem to struggle with brakes.

say what ?

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:26 Quote
inaxganja wrote:
For the owners of the new Spectral:

Stock shock is 230x60 to give 140mm, anyone tried or considered to change it for a 230x65??? If no clearance issues, it should give around 155mm back and make it even more capable downhiller... Wink

Or maybe that´s gonna be the new Strive??

I was thinking of 230x62.5 to be 150mm Big Grin

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
taifi wrote:
aminal wrote:
XT or something shimano. Sram just seem to struggle with brakes.

say what ?

What?

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 15:51 Quote
handynzl wrote:
shadow-flier wrote:
Any recommendations for upgrading the Guide R brakes on a Strive AL6 Race?
I've never been a huge fan of them since I put the bike together (14 months ago), but the last few rides they have really pissed me off, especially when going down steeper, more techy stuff. I never feel that I've got the stopping power I need.

Should I just upgrade to the RS, or should I be looking for something different?

Have just put Code R on my front (Guide RS out back). Haven't had a chance to ride it yet due to weather and family constraints, but it feels firmer than the Guide RS on the rear. Was going to get some Guide RE brakes with the older spec Code caliper but a local distributor had 20% off so I bought the Code for the front. Should put more power up front where I need it.

If you're looking at Shimano the new XT 4 pots are due out any week now. Read a short term review of them and it was pretty positive. Bit more modulated than other Shimano brakes.

Otherwise a set of Zee brakes? I have them on my Spesh Enduro and they seem pretty solid.

Cheers. A few people have recommended the Code. Might have to see if I can find someone who is using them to have a test and then rustle up some $$

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 16:17 Quote
shadow-flier wrote:
handynzl wrote:
shadow-flier wrote:
Any recommendations for upgrading the Guide R brakes on a Strive AL6 Race?
I've never been a huge fan of them since I put the bike together (14 months ago), but the last few rides they have really pissed me off, especially when going down steeper, more techy stuff. I never feel that I've got the stopping power I need.

Should I just upgrade to the RS, or should I be looking for something different?

Have just put Code R on my front (Guide RS out back). Haven't had a chance to ride it yet due to weather and family constraints, but it feels firmer than the Guide RS on the rear. Was going to get some Guide RE brakes with the older spec Code caliper but a local distributor had 20% off so I bought the Code for the front. Should put more power up front where I need it.

If you're looking at Shimano the new XT 4 pots are due out any week now. Read a short term review of them and it was pretty positive. Bit more modulated than other Shimano brakes.

Otherwise a set of Zee brakes? I have them on my Spesh Enduro and they seem pretty solid.

Cheers. A few people have recommended the Code. Might have to see if I can find someone who is using them to have a test and then rustle up some $$

for something brutal go for TRP or Saint, for low cash go for ZEE or XT,GUIDE R, for good power and modulation(control) go for guide rsc or code rsc. Good luck

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 21:21 Quote
taifi wrote:
shadow-flier wrote:
handynzl wrote:

for something brutal go for TRP or Saint, for low cash go for ZEE or XT,GUIDE R, for good power and modulation(control) go for guide rsc or code rsc. Good luck

The new four pot XT is using the Zee caliper, but a new lever, if the review I read over the weekend is accurate. The new lever makes it more modulated apparently.

I'd be a bit afraid of making the rear brake too powerful on the carbon rear triangles - we've all seen a fair few snapped right above the brake mount....

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 23:55 Quote
handynzl wrote:
taifi wrote:
shadow-flier wrote:

I found the Sram brakes' great modulation is a marketing term for lack of braking power. I personally never noticed lack of modulation in Shimano brakes

The new four pot XT is using the Zee caliper, but a new lever, if the review I read over the weekend is accurate. The new lever makes it more modulated apparently.

I'd be a bit afraid of making the rear brake too powerful on the carbon rear triangles - we've all seen a fair few snapped right above the brake mount....

The "great modulation" of the Sram brakes in my experience (Guide RS and Guide RE) is a marketing term for their lack of braking power. They both have been replaced with Saints I just couldn't stand the feeling when I pulled the lever and waited if the bike will slow down and the fading on long descends. With Saints I can "modulate" I have as much braking power as much I pull the lever and with finned pads and ice-tech rotors I don't know what fading is. I don't know the new Codes they look good and I would try them if they come on a new bike but for upgrade my money is on Shimano... Zee on a budget but Saint is out for couple of years so there are some good deals on them. I recently picked up the second pair for 240€ (with 19% VAT).

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:36 Quote
Anyone fitted one of these bois to a canyon strive? Would it fit??
https://www.intend-bc.com/products/headset/stiffmaster/

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 13:56 Quote
bosnianrider wrote:

The "great modulation" of the Sram brakes in my experience (Guide RS and Guide RE) is a marketing term for their lack of braking power. They both have been replaced with Saints I just couldn't stand the feeling when I pulled the lever and waited if the bike will slow down and the fading on long descends. With Saints I can "modulate" I have as much braking power as much I pull the lever and with finned pads and ice-tech rotors I don't know what fading is. I don't know the new Codes they look good and I would try them if they come on a new bike but for upgrade my money is on Shimano... Zee on a budget but Saint is out for couple of years so there are some good deals on them. I recently picked up the second pair for 240€ (with 19% VAT).
Props to the first statement. Modulation is just lack of power.
Zee's still the best brakes I've ever had. Saints great but had variable bite points on a few sets now and pump up after repeated quick use or heat build up. It's very noticeable on such a powerful brake.
Guides are throw aways for anything big.
Running magura mt7s at minute and not that impressed. Spongy feel and lack the Shimano power from stock. Have been better since I trimmed 1.5mm off each bleed block, ended up with a firmer lever and less free stroke. The 4 pad configuration is expensive to replace and I can eat a set of sintered rears in 2 weeks riding/ 150km / 2000m decent .
The new xts sounds promising, I also believe formula are working on a 4 pot.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
yeti-monster wrote:
bosnianrider wrote:

Zee's still the best brakes I've ever had. Saints great but had variable bite points on a few sets now and pump up after repeated quick use or heat build up. It's very noticeable on such a powerful brake.
Running magura mt7s at minute and not that impressed. Spongy feel and lack the Shimano power from stock. Have been better since I trimmed 1.5mm off each bleed block, ended up with a firmer lever and less free stroke. The 4 pad configuration is expensive to replace and I can eat a set of sintered rears in 2 weeks riding/ 150km / 2000m decent .

Exactly my observations +1

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 15:56 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
bosnianrider wrote:

in the past 3 years i run in enduro and dh the guide rsc and rs, i`m a 95kg rider, let's say that i`m not an amateur anymore. So if they stop me, they are good. It's like grips...the best are those who suit you better, right ?

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 18:00 Quote
Celtic67 wrote:
Hi all, general query, looking at maybe getting a new bike, currently have Jeffsy27 but it's not really for me, had a few problems with it and the YT customer service has been woeful. so had a wee look on the canyon website at their new models, absolutely love the look of the Torque AL 5.0, question is can this be used comfortably as an Enduro bike, kinda an all-rounder or should i just go with the Strive?

Thanks in advance
I hear you, I snapped 3 capra’s and the service was woeful, even sending me a frame with a known lay up defect that snapped first ride.

The direct model is what’s holding me off a new spectral, but I’m hoping better support - any feedback from owners?

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 20:37 Quote
heinous wrote:
Celtic67 wrote:
Hi all, general query, looking at maybe getting a new bike, currently have Jeffsy27 but it's not really for me, had a few problems with it and the YT customer service has been woeful. so had a wee look on the canyon website at their new models, absolutely love the look of the Torque AL 5.0, question is can this be used comfortably as an Enduro bike, kinda an all-rounder or should i just go with the Strive?

Thanks in advance
I hear you, I snapped 3 capra’s and the service was woeful, even sending me a frame with a known lay up defect that snapped first ride.

The direct model is what’s holding me off a new spectral, but I’m hoping better support - any feedback from owners?

I've just sent the whole bike back to YT, as per their instruction, hoping to get a refund if i'm honest but not holding my breath, bought it end of November but only ridden it 10/15 miles, deff selling it however if unsuccessful with the refund, but unsure whether or not to go for the Strive or Spectral, leaning towards the spectral bit more now, seems to suit my riding style/what i'm looking for

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 22:55 Quote
taifi wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:

in the past 3 years i run in enduro and dh the guide rsc and rs, i`m a 95kg rider, let's say that i`m not an amateur anymore. So if they stop me, they are good. It's like grips...the best are those who suit you better, right ?
Most enduro and dh are short runs. I'm sure the guides will work out. They are completely useless on the big mountain decents with prolonged braking from steep summits.
I actually thought they were OK as a trail brake and then immediately got rid of them after my first 900m decent due to fade and lack of power. Ended up 2 finger braking and arms pumped up.
I'm a 110kg rider so no light weight, but am no amateur either, 2nd in regional series overall and race megavalanche, mountain of hell etc every year.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017902
Mobile Version of Website