Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Author Message
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 10:25 Quote
handynzl wrote:
TheSwissRider wrote:
Hello everyone,

I own a Canyon Strive CF 8 from 2015 and want to upgrade my rear brake rotor to a 203mm. Do you know if the frame is compatible with an adapter to handle a 203 rotor?
I already installed it and it seems to fit.

Seems you've half answered your question. However I feel you'll be running a risk of snapping the seat stay just ahead of the brake mount. There were (and probably still are) a spate of snapped seat stays just above the brake mounting bosses with the carbon rear triangles. Extra torque from the larger rotor may increase the risk of snapping (even though the below break is with an XT brake and 180mm rotor).


I was just about to say the same... 203 at the rear doesn't sound like a good idea.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
catsandboots wrote:
Got a 2018 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 in size M last week.

Have done about 6 hours of riding in the Santa Cruz Mtns and my first impressions are really good. I'm not really qualified to pass judgement since I've only ridden a few good full suspension bikes and previously only owned a few hardtails. Coming from the hardtail though, I am actually still really happy with how poppy the bike feels, which is something I was worried about. In every other regard it also has felt great, but what do I know.

I also put it up on a crappy fish scale for the weight weenies among us. It came in a 30.2 +/- 0.2 lbs set up tubeless and covered in mud, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I weighed it with with Crankbrothers Mallet E pedals attached, which should add about 1 lbs


Looks great! Red seems better in person than online. Can you speak to size of the bike? My last two bikes were Large Santa Cruz's, but the rep was mentioning for my size 5'11'' he would probably go medium as they run a bit big.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 11:52 Quote
mine and brothers Spectral , great bike !



Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 12:49 Quote


So here the setup for the enduro season (minus tires and a few things), I'm planning half a dozen of enduro races including two ews, I have a few more weeks to get in decent shape and work on suspension setup!

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:03 Quote
taifi wrote:
mine and brothers Spectral , great bike !



SUPERB !!

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:29 Quote
Tuber wrote:
Can you speak to size of the bike? My last two bikes were Large Santa Cruz's, but the rep was mentioning for my size 5'11'' he would probably go medium as they run a bit big.

Looks like a Large SantaCruz is right smack in the middle.




I'm 5'10", and am leaning towards a Large.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 23:26 Quote
Tuber wrote:
catsandboots wrote:
Got a 2018 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 in size M last week.

Have done about 6 hours of riding in the Santa Cruz Mtns and my first impressions are really good. I'm not really qualified to pass judgement since I've only ridden a few good full suspension bikes and previously only owned a few hardtails. Coming from the hardtail though, I am actually still really happy with how poppy the bike feels, which is something I was worried about. In every other regard it also has felt great, but what do I know.

I also put it up on a crappy fish scale for the weight weenies among us. It came in a 30.2 +/- 0.2 lbs set up tubeless and covered in mud, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I weighed it with with Crankbrothers Mallet E pedals attached, which should add about 1 lbs


Looks great! Red seems better in person than online. Can you speak to size of the bike? My last two bikes were Large Santa Cruz's, but the rep was mentioning for my size 5'11'' he would probably go medium as they run a bit big.

Yeah it definitely looks much better in person than on the canyon website! I'm 5' 8" and I really like the size of the bike for me. I hadn't gotten the seat post at the right height in this picture. I currently am 1.75" away from fully slammed, so I'm pretty sure you wont have an issue there with the large.

My buddy has a 2013 and a 2017 Bronson in size M, which I've ridden a bit and the spectral does feel a bit roomier, which I like.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 5:49 Quote
Hello,

Any feedback here about the use of bottomless rings on the Spectral rear suspension? I'm thinking about installing two or three bottomless rings, my rear shock bottoms out sometimes but not to often.

In the front pike i has using 1 token and i like it, just upgraded for the second one (someone told me to try it) but haven't been able to test it.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 6:33 Quote
taifi wrote:
mine and brothers Spectral , great bike !



Any more pictures of the orange and grey one? Interested in one myself but I've only ever seen one other photo of one outside of canyons standard black background ones.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 9:17 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
taifi wrote:
mine and brothers Spectral , great bike !



Any more pictures of the orange and grey one? Interested in one myself but I've only ever seen one other photo of one outside of canyons standard black background ones.

I like the orange too, would look awesome with an orange 36...

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
jakebeach1996 wrote:
taifi wrote:
mine and brothers Spectral , great bike !



Any more pictures of the orange and grey one? Interested in one myself but I've only ever seen one other photo of one outside of canyons standard black background ones.

Look up this link

https://www.1enduro.pl/bikeporn-canyon-spectral-cf-8-0-2018/

I like the orange too, would look awesome with an orange 36...

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 11:44 Quote
Hello everyone,

For all of you that want to upgrade the rear brake rotor of your canyon Strive to a 203mm. I contacted CANYON to make sure that the frame is compatible with the bigger rotor. Dennis Tolksdorf from Canyon Servicecenter assured me that the Strive CF is compatible.
I made a video on the install of the brake rotor with tips and recommandation (which adapter you should use etc.)
It would be nice if you like the video and subscribe tp the channel.
I will make a lot more content with my canyon strive CF8. Comment ,like and give your feedback. Hope this video is useful for some of you. Cheers and see you on the trail.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 12:59 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
nicoSB wrote:
jakebeach1996 wrote:


Any more pictures of the orange and grey one? Interested in one myself but I've only ever seen one other photo of one outside of canyons standard black background ones.

Look up this link

https://www.1enduro.pl/bikeporn-canyon-spectral-cf-8-0-2018/

I like the orange too, would look awesome with an orange 36...

If you want more picture tell me and i`ll upload or look on istagram for taifi.ro

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 21:35 Quote
It is not my story, but I want to hear from you.

Cracks seem to have been around for months, and he found it late last February.

At the German headquarters, we concluded that there was a crack due to external impact. What about you?

For the above reasons, the warranty has been rejected, but it is also unclear whether it is possible to purchase only the lower part of the current frame separately. They say that only frames can be sold.




Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 22:00 Quote
rocina wrote:
It is not my story, but I want to hear from you.

Cracks seem to have been around for months, and he found it late last February.

At the German headquarters, we concluded that there was a crack due to external impact. What about you?

For the above reasons, the warranty has been rejected, but it is also unclear whether it is possible to purchase only the lower part of the current frame separately. They say that only frames can be sold.




Looks like something has struck that area. You can see vertical lines all in that area. Whether it cracked on first impact or not can't be ascertained from some photographs. There is every chance that the structure was compromised, and then due to the chainstay being under tension, the carbon has delaminated over time and you end up with the resultant crack.

This is one area where aluminium would have faired better - a ding, and then forces in the chainstay always trying to pop the ding back out again, and would be unlikely to break.

Unfortunate luck.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035870
Mobile Version of Website