Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: May 15, 2018 at 21:44 Quote
Most of the bikes running short offset forks have slacker HA than the Strive. I'm thinking of '18 Transition bikes and the new '19 Stumpjumper Evo.

You'll be fine with a 46mm offset fork, in either 160 or 170mm on the '15 strive.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2018 at 22:51 Quote
handynzl wrote:
Questions for Strive owners who have installed a Works Components Angle Set head set...

Firstly, could you noticibly see the offset in the upper cup they supplied? I sure as hell can't. It looks and measures up concentric.

Did you replace the Canyon upper cup and bearing? I can't see the need if the one they supplied is for all intents and purposes the same. Same bearing, same concentricity, but different seal system.

Did you change the crown race on the fork as well?
Just installed one last night. You are right the upper cup is concentric but there is a height difference front and rear.
The instructions included are gash, but there is a small note about zs44 upper cups that corrects the main instruction sheet.
The cut out in the upper cup points to the back of the bike, the height of the rear cup measures 11.5 mm. The front height measures 12.5 mm this provides the steerer tube offset to the bottom cup.
Yes crown race swapped too

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 4:51 Quote
Anybody tried to get color code of frame paint from Canyon? Wonna fix some scratches tha annoy me a bit

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
Bit of tinkering tonight.....

Bike tart had 1/3 off 170mm drop reverbs with new style lever, my 150 travel needs new seals and could do with more standover

So new dropper fitted, will service the old one and punt it on - usual ocd with the cable routing plus some grip tape on the lever to match the shifter. New style reverb lever feels sooooooo much better

Also the strive usually runs exposed gear cable within the downtube so naturally after a winters riding the gears felt like dogshit!

Drilled out the plastic guide at the bb and ran a full length outer through, feels slick as! Cheeky bitta tape to blank the old cable stop for the time being

Excuse the coating of Scottish brown pow.....

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: May 18, 2018 at 22:00 Quote
Has anyone had an issue where the rear dropouts seem to have widened to the point where the rear axle is almost passing freely through them and not sitting in the slots? It’s a pain the a as you’ve got to be quite precise when putting the rear wheel back on. It never used to be like this new, I’m sure.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2018 at 1:41 Quote
Randomscruff wrote:
Has anyone had an issue where the rear dropouts seem to have widened to the point where the rear axle is almost passing freely through them and not sitting in the slots? It’s a pain the a as you’ve got to be quite precise when putting the rear wheel back on. It never used to be like this new, I’m sure.

Yeah, mine is a bit like that. Not too worried about it though as it all pulls up with the axle.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2018 at 1:47 Quote
yeti-monster wrote:
handynzl wrote:
Questions for Strive owners who have installed a Works Components Angle Set head set...

Firstly, could you noticibly see the offset in the upper cup they supplied? I sure as hell can't. It looks and measures up concentric.

Did you replace the Canyon upper cup and bearing? I can't see the need if the one they supplied is for all intents and purposes the same. Same bearing, same concentricity, but different seal system.

Did you change the crown race on the fork as well?
Just installed one last night. You are right the upper cup is concentric but there is a height difference front and rear.
The instructions included are gash, but there is a small note about zs44 upper cups that corrects the main instruction sheet.
The cut out in the upper cup points to the back of the bike, the height of the rear cup measures 11.5 mm. The front height measures 12.5 mm this provides the steerer tube offset to the bottom cup.
Yes crown race swapped too

Cheers for the insight Yeti. I had a convo via email with works components and they confirmed that the bearings are not sitting square to the headtube axis and that the crown race is slightly taller than a standard crown race that would come from, say, cane creek.

I'll be assembling the headset tomorrow so hopefully all goes well.

Posted: May 19, 2018 at 4:58 Quote
Hey all,

I've been able to test the new Spectral for a couple of weeks now, splendid performance tup What bugs me though is that the rear shock bottoms out easily, even as I'm riding it on 20 % sag. So I was wondering if it was possible to add some volume reduction spacers to that model (Deluxe RT) on the 2018 AL 6.0?

I ran into trouble finding anything from the SRAM websites (which are a mess when it comes to manuals), Canyon sites or the manuals that came with the bike, didn't even find data on the model year, and no clear statements on spacers either. Would these fit https://www.tftuned.com/rockshox-deluxe-super-deluxe-volume-reducers/p3328 for example?

Any help is greatly appreciated Smile

Posted: May 19, 2018 at 17:49 Quote
Hey guys

Im pretty certain ill be buying the 2018 Strive CF 9.0 in a couple of months once they become available again.

I see some of you guys are successfully running a coil rear shock, Is there plenty of clearance for the coil? and does the shapeshifter still perform the same? I asked canyon about this and all they said was "we cannot recommend a coil shock"

If any modifications are needed, ill just stick to the DPX2 that comes standard. Id probably put a Cane Creek Inline Coil in there if it fits without any hassle.

Cheers

O+
Posted: May 19, 2018 at 22:34 Quote
ClintWood wrote:
Hey guys

Im pretty certain ill be buying the 2018 Strive CF 9.0 in a couple of months once they become available again.

I see some of you guys are successfully running a coil rear shock, Is there plenty of clearance for the coil? and does the shapeshifter still perform the same? I asked canyon about this and all they said was "we cannot recommend a coil shock"

If any modifications are needed, ill just stick to the DPX2 that comes standard. Id probably put a Cane Creek Inline Coil in there if it fits without any hassle.

Cheers

Yes, coil shocks fit (heck, Justin Leov run one when he was on the Canyon Enduro team). Which is best, I can't say, but some of the lads here have been running them for a while so can help out there.

The shapeshifter couldn't care less what shock you run. Use a custard filled shock if you wanted. All the shapeshifter does is move the top eye position which in turn changes the geometry of the suspension and therefore changes the available travel and changes the spring rate.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/strive-vs-strive-ews-bike-setup-with-justin-leov-and-joe-barnes.html

O+
Posted: May 20, 2018 at 2:19 Quote
I just dropped a 180mm Lyrik with a luftkappe in my strive. Shit is gonna be good. Ha should be at 64.5 with 1 offset bushing. I kinda doubt it's that slack though.

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 6:08 Quote
Hi
Dont suppose anybody knows what bearing I need for my 2014 Canyon Spectral 6.9 headset? Really just need the bottom bearing but would be great to know the details of both.
Had a look all over the place and cant find the details online anywhere.

Thanks

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
dhallam101 wrote:
Hi
Dont suppose anybody knows what bearing I need for my 2014 Canyon Spectral 6.9 headset? Really just need the bottom bearing but would be great to know the details of both.
Had a look all over the place and cant find the details online anywhere.

Thanks

google cane creek headset finder, should have what you need

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
Hi everyone ! I've in project to change bike and i've tried the strive and the spectral, the spectral feels just so nice but i'm already thinking of improving it before buying it... So has anybody tried to put a coil shock on it ? Does it fit, it seems to be a bit narrow close to the linkage and the frame. The shock is 230x60, transition patrol has a 230x65 superdeluxe that would give the bike a bit more of travel (11mm) paired with a 160 fork i would have a very capable nimble and "enduro ready" spectral => a 2018 Spectral ex Wink
So if anyone tried something like this i'd like to have his return

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
levitronix wrote:
i have an idea how to set it, i was just wondering what they came set from canyon, been just riding off kerbs around the house trying to get a feel

also done all the pivots and bearings bike feels like new bike again, put the skf green wiper seals as well !
photo

photo

Wrong bearing mate! Smile

7901 and 7902 must be used. The size is correct, but must be angular bearings.

https://www.canyon.com/downloads/supportcenter/Spectral_AL_M17-16_BOM_ts.pdf

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019524
Mobile Version of Website