Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 1:53 Quote
Hi

[Sorry, for some reason the firewall settings where I'm posting for disable all access to javascript etc, so I've mangled the image links. They should work if copied / pasted - I'll try to fix at home tonight]
[Edit - images fixed]

I've got a 2015 Nerve AL 6.0, and for the first time this week I've noticed a couple of oddities. FIrstly, I can't work out whether this pivot point is missing a nut or cap or something? There is a small amount of play when I left up the bike from the seat, so I am doubly concerned.

photo

Secondly, the front wheel doesn't appear centred in the fork. It's plumb straight, the disc brake is perfectly aligned, and it appears to be perfectly parallel to the forks. But it's off centre. I have some vague recollection of it being like this when I got it, but I was so excited to get out and ride that I ignored it. But I flipped the stem yesterday and in lining things up again it was obvious. If it arrived like this then the wheel has been "dished" incorrectly, but I'd be amazed if I was the only one with this issue.

photo

Cheers!

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 4:57 Quote
Afternoon folks,

Newbie question, so apologies in advance. I have a 2015 Nerve 6 and have been riding it quite a bit recently and noticed there is a creaking or squeaking noise coming from the front somewhere. I checked the headset and there is zero movement, the QR skewer is tight enough so I'm out of ideas?

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 5:17 Quote
Disc rotor rubbing or something to do with the hub bearings?

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 5:21 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
Disc rotor rubbing or something to do with the hub bearings?

Thanks, but it's not so much of a rubbing sound? Could it be a brake line or something??

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 5:48 Quote
I've had brake rotors squeak before if they are slightly bent. Does it do it whilst riding or if you lift the bars and spin the wheel?

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 6:12 Quote
i have a canyon strive al 6.0 and yesterday i replace my gear shifter and i surprised that the cable in frame are naked but my biggest surprise is the cable is cross each other inside the frame, only my is like that or this is normal
photo

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 6:23 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
I've had brake rotors squeak before if they are slightly bent. Does it do it whilst riding or if you lift the bars and spin the wheel?

Usually when riding, it doesn't do it all the time either. I can't check whether it does it when the wheel is spinning as I'm at work at the moment.

Cheers

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 13:20 Quote
veskox wrote:
i have a canyon strive al 6.0 and yesterday i replace my gear shifter and i surprised that the cable in frame are naked but my biggest surprise is the cable is cross each other inside the frame, only my is like that or this is normal
photo

I don't know why, but i`ve seen many bikes with crossed cables coming as standard ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm13s6McfqA

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
I seem to have developed some problems with the shapeshifter! It only returns half way into xc mode. Air pressure is correct and it goes into dh mode fine. I have emailed canyon and will wait to see what they say about it.

HI. just seen your post. I have also had the same problem with two shapeshifters both were replaced under warranty. I'm onto the third which seems ok so far. I'd be interested to know how you get on. Cheers. Luke.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 13:27 Quote
lukethain wrote:
jakebeach1996 wrote:
I seem to have developed some problems with the shapeshifter! It only returns half way into xc mode. Air pressure is correct and it goes into dh mode fine. I have emailed canyon and will wait to see what they say about it.

HI. just seen your post. I have also had the same problem with two shapeshifters both were replaced under warranty. I'm onto the third which seems ok so far. I'd be interested to know how you get on. Cheers. Luke.

Oh really, was starting to think I was the only one with problems!

What sort of problems have you had with your previous ones?

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 13:43 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
lukethain wrote:
jakebeach1996 wrote:

Yeah I thought it was just me too. It all started when I noticed the shapeshifter hadn't fully extended back into xc mode. So like you I went to check the air pressure, when I connected the pump a load of oil came out of the air valve then it just when from xc mode to dh mode with out using the remote. So basically un-rideable. The first unit lasted one ride, the second unit maybe two rides now onto the third unit 3 weeks of fairly hard riding xc and dh stuff and I'm not convinced this one isn't on the way out. Should be 15mm of the piston showing when fully extended and I've just measured it at 10mm.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 14:27 Quote
lukethain wrote:
jakebeach1996 wrote:
lukethain wrote:

Yeah I thought it was just me too. It all started when I noticed the shapeshifter hadn't fully extended back into xc mode. So like you I went to check the air pressure, when I connected the pump a load of oil came out of the air valve then it just when from xc mode to dh mode with out using the remote. So basically un-rideable. The first unit lasted one ride, the second unit maybe two rides now onto the third unit 3 weeks of fairly hard riding xc and dh stuff and I'm not convinced this one isn't on the way out. Should be 15mm of the piston showing when fully extended and I've just measured it at 10mm.

All - don't be too hasty here! My shapeshifter was a bit sloppy but turns out the cable just needed tightening. Also a top tip is to remove the plastic ferrel between the outer cable and the tension adjuster on the handlebar lever. I did that and now it is working fast and smooth.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 23:27 Quote
taifi wrote:
veskox wrote:

I don't know why, but i`ve seen many bikes with crossed cables coming as standard ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm13s6McfqA

This is normal and standard in all canyon bikes. The cables do not rub on each other or decrease shifting smoothness.

Cables are naked so you can tension the cable inside the frame and it does not rattle.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
Froguin wrote:
Hi

[Sorry, for some reason the firewall settings where I'm posting for disable all access to javascript etc, so I've mangled the image links. They should work if copied / pasted - I'll try to fix at home tonight]
[Edit - images fixed]

I've got a 2015 Nerve AL 6.0, and for the first time this week I've noticed a couple of oddities. FIrstly, I can't work out whether this pivot point is missing a nut or cap or something? There is a small amount of play when I left up the bike from the seat, so I am doubly concerned.

Secondly, the front wheel doesn't appear centred in the fork. It's plumb straight, the disc brake is perfectly aligned, and it appears to be perfectly parallel to the forks. But it's off centre. I have some vague recollection of it being like this when I got it, but I was so excited to get out and ride that I ignored it. But I flipped the stem yesterday and in lining things up again it was obvious. If it arrived like this then the wheel has been "dished" incorrectly, but I'd be amazed if I was the only one with this issue.

Cheers!

There is no nut cap. This looks how it supposed to be. Check the bolt tension of the rocker. The amount of torque should be on the bolt itself.

The wheel indeed does not look centered/the dish is wrong.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 1:41 Quote
maartenv wrote:

There is no nut cap. This looks how it supposed to be. Check the bolt tension of the rocker. The amount of torque should be on the bolt itself.

The wheel indeed does not look centered/the dish is wrong.

Thanks on both counts - yes, I think tightening is the right first option for that part, I was just a little wary of getting the tools out on a pivot point having never owned a FS before.

On the front wheel, it is still perfectly true, so it must have arrived like that. I'll get in touch with Canyon and see what they suggest.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013668
Mobile Version of Website