Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
Just finished prep my bikes for a few weeks in the alps!

That is goals right there!

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
churchburner wrote:
Kickmehard wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
Odd, just removed a 10mm spacer from my 36s and upped my travel for free.
as far as I'm aware just adding/removing a spacer is possible for models up to and including 2017. 36s from 18 onwards require a full airshaft change. It's a shame.

Yep, and if I read correctly the other day they must have listened to the consumer about the stupidity because for 2020 onwards it's back to being an easy change. Fox are just off the mark in so many ways for the price of their product.
Ok just spoke to my riding buddy about it, yes you are correct it is an internal change. He has just ordered it for his 2018 36s, in the UK its £50. Hes just ordered the new linkage for his rallon and upping his forks at the same time

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
Just finished prep my bikes for a few weeks in the alps!

Sweet looking rides!

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 21:04 Quote
jayp805 wrote:
jayp805 wrote:
Just unboxed my new 2019 Canyon Strive CF 6.0! I’m 6’0 and ordered a large, I had previously been on a Commencal Meta AM 4.2 in a large and this bike is a quite a bit larger. Not in a bad way it feels right for my height... Anyways I’m looking forward to getting out on it tomorrow to see how it rides and how it compares to the Meta. I have been suffering on climbs on that bike so hopefully this will be better ????

Well I got to take the new bike out today and wow what a difference! My speed up the mountain was way better on this strive in climb mode vs my Commencal. Zero pedal strikes, nice position on the bike and handled all of the switchbacks no problem. On the way down I was also faster than I had been (mostly just a 29” vs 27.5” thing) the bike felt super nice, plenty of reach and slacked out enough in the front for sure. I was really worried that 66* head would not be slack enough after looking at the other enduro bikes this year but I felt planted in the bike, cornered great, plowed over rough sections and launched a few little drops. So much fun! If you’re considering a strive but concerned about the tame geometry- like I was- I say give it a try. $3599 for a full carbon GX build and the 30 day right to return policy it’s a no brainer, I personally couldn’t be happier and unless the frame brakes or the bike proves unreliable I’ll be keeping it for sure!

I'm interested to see how well the new strive performs on mellow and tight techy trails. This is the only thing holding me back from clicking the buy button. I would be using this as an all-around bike and am afraid it's too much bike for what ill us it for most of the time. I just sold my 2018 Meta AM 4.2 for that reason. Any Suggestion or comments are much appreciated.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
Hey fellas I'm looking at a strive in large I'm 180 height and 87 inseam but coming for a trek remedy 19.5 (large) reach is 455 and I love how playful the remedy is but reach feels to short worried if I get a large strive it will feel dull but looking at a medium strive reach numbers look way to small 440mm vs 470mm on strives large.. Guess I'm also worried the 29er wheels won't be playful at all.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 1:34 Quote
just another awesome bikepark trip to the bikeworld / park Schoeneck / Germany Smile

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
A friend of mine just received a new Strive CF 8.0 and, included in the box, came the following Mavic part?:

Anyone knows what it is? Eek

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
Spoke protector?
Normally installed between spokes and cassette on supermarket bikes

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
The new gondola in my hometown is finally operational which gives great access to several steep, rocky and technical trails. Some of the trails are very steep with a lot of loose rocks and chattery stuff, thus I wanted to do a little experiment to see how the Spectral is working with a coil shock. As I didn't wat to risk spending big money at a very expensive shock I enquired about the Marzocchi Bomber CR and got a sweet deal on the shock and a Fox SLS spring.

The 400 lbs/inch spring gave me 28-29% sag with almost no preload of the spring (less than 1/2 turn). I set the rebound by doing the "curb-test" to determin the critical damping point and sped it up by 1 click to balance the rebound speed of the shock with that of the forks. LSC was set on feel until I hit the trail. The Bomber CR does not have a climb switch and the pedal bobs are noticable but less than I predicted before getting the shock. You can compansate and find a good balance by adding some LSC.

After two runs down the mountain I was pleasantly suprised by the ride quality of the Bomber CR. My Strava times were about the same as with my air shock (Fox DPX2) but the supple compliant feeling and grip in the fast chattery parts were impressive. Some parts were a bit wet, slippery and muddy but the feeling for grip felt better on the Bomber CR than my air shock.

The coil shock has for sure less pop than the air shock and rides in a different way so before I headed home I went for a run in our local enduro track, which basically is a mix of natural trail with rocks roots and also some parts with berms and jumps. Once again the shock worked well but it felt a bit more hesitant leaving the ground than the DPX2, but again it was no problem. On the biggest jump (to relative flat landing) I was using full travel as the rubber bottom out protector was pushed all the way to the back, but I didnt feel any harsh bottom out. Again the the feel of grip from the rear tyre felt better than the air shock. Unfortunately I had to slow down a couple of places as there were people on the trail so I couldn't compare against previous Strava runs.

All in all I was very imperssed with the Marzocchi Bomber CR and also how the Spectral rode with the coil shock. However it would be good to have the possibility of tuning the HSC and also a climb switch would be welcome but for the price the performance was absolutely bang on!

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 21:48 Quote
It's a spoke protector. It's for the Zicral spokes on the CFR 9.0, you can probably skip it on the 8.0.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 1:32 Quote
Tiltmeister wrote:
The new gondola in my hometown is finally operational which gives great access to several steep, rocky and technical trails. Some of the trails are very steep with a lot of loose rocks and chattery stuff, thus I wanted to do a little experiment to see how the Spectral is working with a coil shock. As I didn't wat to risk spending big money at a very expensive shock I enquired about the Marzocchi Bomber CR and got a sweet deal on the shock and a Fox SLS spring.

The 400 lbs/inch spring gave me 28-29% sag with almost no preload of the spring (less than 1/2 turn). I set the rebound by doing the "curb-test" to determin the critical damping point and sped it up by 1 click to balance the rebound speed of the shock with that of the forks. LSC was set on feel until I hit the trail. The Bomber CR does not have a climb switch and the pedal bobs are noticable but less than I predicted before getting the shock. You can compansate and find a good balance by adding some LSC.

After two runs down the mountain I was pleasantly suprised by the ride quality of the Bomber CR. My Strava times were about the same as with my air shock (Fox DPX2) but the supple compliant feeling and grip in the fast chattery parts were impressive. Some parts were a bit wet, slippery and muddy but the feeling for grip felt better on the Bomber CR than my air shock.

The coil shock has for sure less pop than the air shock and rides in a different way so before I headed home I went for a run in our local enduro track, which basically is a mix of natural trail with rocks roots and also some parts with berms and jumps. Once again the shock worked well but it felt a bit more hesitant leaving the ground than the DPX2, but again it was no problem. On the biggest jump (to relative flat landing) I was using full travel as the rubber bottom out protector was pushed all the way to the back, but I didnt feel any harsh bottom out. Again the the feel of grip from the rear tyre felt better than the air shock. Unfortunately I had to slow down a couple of places as there were people on the trail so I couldn't compare against previous Strava runs.

All in all I was very imperssed with the Marzocchi Bomber CR and also how the Spectral rode with the coil shock. However it would be good to have the possibility of tuning the HSC and also a climb switch would be welcome but for the price the performance was absolutely bang on!

Looks good mate...you are lucky to have a lift in your city!!

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
Hi all
Could somebody help me out with what total length dropper seat post will fit my medium 2018 Spectal 9 SL?

I need a 125mm drop but unsure on what total length I need???
351mm or 414mm??

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
Just got my 2019 Strive 8.0 . Could not pass it up for the price . Well out of the box the set up was spot on , actually better than some bikes I have purchase thru shops . I am 5-9 and got the medium , good fit . I have ridden it 2x and really like the bike so far . So I had worries buying a bike like this but after doing the research on the sizing and such I have no regrets . Thumbs up to Canyon

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Had my Strive base model since May. To me it’s the ultimate quiver killer if you want a 29er. Just enough travel to make it so you have room for error, and also pedal-able up hill. I’m coming from a giant reign 2005 model, and this bike is a better climber. I’ve been playing with the progressivist of my suspension, but over all the bike still has a decently progressive rear end. I’m riding a size large at 6’ and I find the bike to be nearly as playful as my old 26’ bike, with some added stability from the big 29” gyros. Hands down for a comparably priced store bike componentry wise, Canyon delivered on this one.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
Doc007 wrote:
Had my Strive base model since May. To me it’s the ultimate quiver killer if you want a 29er. Just enough travel to make it so you have room for error, and also pedal-able up hill. I’m coming from a giant reign 2005 model, and this bike is a better climber. I’ve been playing with the progressivist of my suspension, but over all the bike still has a decently progressive rear end. I’m riding a size large at 6’ and I find the bike to be nearly as playful as my old 26’ bike, with some added stability from the big 29” gyros. Hands down for a comparably priced store bike componentry wise, Canyon delivered on this one.

Really hope the 2020 Strive just keeps on improving on what they've done so I can pick one up!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031836
Mobile Version of Website