Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Author Message
Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
barneyisourhero wrote:
Just thought I'd give my opinion on the spectral v strive debate and some sizing info.
I've had a strive cf 9.0 2016 in medium race since new. I'm 5'10 with 31 inch inside leg and the bike felt fine size wise but I always felt overbiked on anything other than gnarly downhill/steep trails.
Recently got the spectral cf9 in medium.
The size seemed from initial set up that it might have been too short but after the first ride I realise it is spot on. The seat post is about 2 inches out from frame and the reach is fine.

The bike feels more lively than my strive, much more nimble and quicker to accelerate on the flats. It climbs better even with shock open Vs my strive in xc. Suspension feels much firmer and hasn't got the plushness of the strive and so when it's gets rough it's not as forgiving as the strive, you don't have the point and shoot capability that the strive gives, but I certainly haven't felt out of my depth on it. The suspension thing could be down to the spectral being full rockshox v the strives fox factory setup. I find the rockshox much easier to set up and feel good.

Hi barney!
I was just looking for someone who has owned both the old strive and the new spectral!

I have a Strive, the 2014 model, the first model year of the shapeshifter.
It's been great so far, I was very little experienced when I bought it but it helped me progress a lot in those five years, I've even ridden world cup level DH tracks with it.
It is perfect to do both bike park days and mountain rides if you can only have one bike, but now I have the opportunity (economically speaking) of owning two bikes, and I will get a proper DH one for the serious stuff.
So the strive seems too much for the non-lifts days, and I don't even race enduro so I'm considering selling it to buy the new spectral.
I need a bike that pedals better, the two friends I ride with have bought ebikes, so no way that I can keep up with them on the uphill with the strive. I heard that new enduro bikes with bigger travel than my strive still pedal better thanks to improvements in geometry over those five years, so an all-mountain bike should be considerably better right?
But how much better? Anything more you can tell me? thank you

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
Yep, did the same with mine plus fitted the one up lever . Never had any major problem with it but works like new now.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
Code98 wrote:
barneyisourhero wrote:
Just thought I'd give my opinion on the spectral v strive debate and some sizing info.
I've had a strive cf 9.0 2016 in medium race since new. I'm 5'10 with 31 inch inside leg and the bike felt fine size wise but I always felt overbiked on anything other than gnarly downhill/steep trails.
Recently got the spectral cf9 in medium.
The size seemed from initial set up that it might have been too short but after the first ride I realise it is spot on. The seat post is about 2 inches out from frame and the reach is fine.

The bike feels more lively than my strive, much more nimble and quicker to accelerate on the flats. It climbs better even with shock open Vs my strive in xc. Suspension feels much firmer and hasn't got the plushness of the strive and so when it's gets rough it's not as forgiving as the strive, you don't have the point and shoot capability that the strive gives, but I certainly haven't felt out of my depth on it. The suspension thing could be down to the spectral being full rockshox v the strives fox factory setup. I find the rockshox much easier to set up and feel good.

Hi barney!
I was just looking for someone who has owned both the old strive and the new spectral!

I have a Strive, the 2014 model, the first model year of the shapeshifter.
It's been great so far, I was very little experienced when I bought it but it helped me progress a lot in those five years, I've even ridden world cup level DH tracks with it.
It is perfect to do both bike park days and mountain rides if you can only have one bike, but now I have the opportunity (economically speaking) of owning two bikes, and I will get a proper DH one for the serious stuff.
So the strive seems too much for the non-lifts days, and I don't even race enduro so I'm considering selling it to buy the new spectral.
I need a bike that pedals better, the two friends I ride with have bought ebikes, so no way that I can keep up with them on the uphill with the strive. I heard that new enduro bikes with bigger travel than my strive still pedal better thanks to improvements in geometry over those five years, so an all-mountain bike should be considerably better right?
But how much better? Anything more you can tell me? thank you

Go for the new spectral then. I owned the former strive and now i have the spectral and the sender. Great team!

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
wrote:
wrote:

Hi barney!
I was just looking for someone who has owned both the old strive and the new spectral!

I have a Strive, the 2014 model, the first model year of the shapeshifter.
It's been great so far, I was very little experienced when I bought it but it helped me progress a lot in those five years, I've even ridden world cup level DH tracks with it.
It is perfect to do both bike park days and mountain rides if you can only have one bike, but now I have the opportunity (economically speaking) of owning two bikes, and I will get a proper DH one for the serious stuff.
So the strive seems too much for the non-lifts days, and I don't even race enduro so I'm considering selling it to buy the new spectral.
I need a bike that pedals better, the two friends I ride with have bought ebikes, so no way that I can keep up with them on the uphill with the strive. I heard that new enduro bikes with bigger travel than my strive still pedal better thanks to improvements in geometry over those five years, so an all-mountain bike should be considerably better right?
But how much better? Anything more you can tell me? thank you

I have ridden my spectral quite a few times since my last post and I have to say I'm very happy with my choice. To be honest I never really enjoyed my strive. I always felt the bike was too much for my riding and I was always having problems with it (shapeshifter included!).
The spectral still has a lot of travel but it feels a lot more nimble than the strive, it pedals better up hill, it descends quicker than I will probably take it and it feels very agile.
However, I haven't ridden the new strive, and being 29er there is a possibility it is better than the old strive. It will probably cover flat ground quicker, which I felt was lacking on the old strive.

I don't do enough downhill to justify a all out dh bike so for me a spectral and a hardtail are my two bikes of choice.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 5:10 Quote
Did anyone tried to fit bigger shock into the upper yoke(rocker). Like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHjunlSEiXO_sJtAKLxEZwSFZAlKvXJm/view?usp=drivesdk .
Its about 235mm eye to eye when its in xc mode. (Note to myself - measure it in dh mode, perhaps it will be 222mm and this will delete any dubt)This exact fox shock doesn't fit, couse its upper cup is too wide and its 240 mm eye to eye, but new x2 fox and ccdb may fit, if i put some token to reduce travel a bit. I,m curious if its possible? As far as i tested-it may give me still 160mm suspension travel but with bigger, approximately 70mm shaft trevel(instead of 57).

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 3:43 Quote
Trustyrael wrote:
Did anyone tried to fit bigger shock into the upper yoke(rocker). Like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHjunlSEiXO_sJtAKLxEZwSFZAlKvXJm/view?usp=drivesdk .
Its about 235mm eye to eye when its in xc mode. (Note to myself - measure it in dh mode, perhaps it will be 222mm and this will delete any dubt)This exact fox shock doesn't fit, couse its upper cup is too wide and its 240 mm eye to eye, but new x2 fox and ccdb may fit, if i put some token to reduce travel a bit. I,m curious if its possible? As far as i tested-it may give me still 160mm suspension travel but with bigger, approximately 70mm shaft trevel(instead of 57).

Why exactly are you trying to install a shock that's the wrong size for your bike, though?

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
[Quote="churchburner"]
Trustyrael wrote:
Did anyone tried to fit bigger shock into the upper yoke(rocker). Like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHjunlSEiXO_sJtAKLxEZwSFZAlKvXJm/view?usp=drivesdk .
Its about 235mm eye to eye when its in xc mode. (Note to myself - measure it in dh mode, perhaps it will be 222mm and this will delete any dubt)This exact fox shock doesn't fit, couse its upper cup is too wide and its 240 mm eye to eye, but new x2 fox and ccdb may fit, if i put some token to reduce travel a bit. I,m curious if its possible? As far as i tested-it may give me still 160mm suspension travel but with bigger, approximately 70mm shaft trevel(instead of 57).
Because i think that strive is 140 bike in fact, and not 160. 200x57 shock is too small for 160 mm rear suspension. With bigger shock its gonna be plushier(soft). And its easier to find and buy 240x74 shock

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 22:13 Quote
[Quote="Trustyrael"]
churchburner wrote:
Trustyrael wrote:
Did anyone tried to fit bigger shock into the upper yoke(rocker). Like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHjunlSEiXO_sJtAKLxEZwSFZAlKvXJm/view?usp=drivesdk .
Its about 235mm eye to eye when its in xc mode. (Note to myself - measure it in dh mode, perhaps it will be 222mm and this will delete any dubt)This exact fox shock doesn't fit, couse its upper cup is too wide and its 240 mm eye to eye, but new x2 fox and ccdb may fit, if i put some token to reduce travel a bit. I,m curious if its possible? As far as i tested-it may give me still 160mm suspension travel but with bigger, approximately 70mm shaft trevel(instead of 57).


Because i think that strive is 140 bike in fact, and not 160. 200x57 shock is too small for 160 mm rear suspension. With bigger shock its gonna be plushier(soft). And its easier to find and buy 240x74 shock

You do realise all bikes have a different leverage ratio? So the travel a 200x57 shock makes on one bike is completely different to another?

E.g. my new strive is a 230x60 making 150mm travel
150/60 = 2.5
If I increased stroke to 65 (since you can't put a larger eye to eye shock in a bike or you'll f*ck it) then 65x2.5 = 162.5mm rear travel.
I may still f*ck the bike, as it may not have clearance for that extra 12mm.

However on my previous bike it had 200x57 but still made the same 150mm rear travel.
150/57 = 2.63

Please also note the irrelevance of eye to eye length on travel as it's bike specific, and in the vast majority of applications not something you should or even can change.
In other words, if your question is "should I put a shock with a completely different eye to eye length than factory" the answer is a hard no. If it's "should I put a shock with a different stroke to factory" the answer is probably no, but maybe.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 22:59 Quote
In fact you can put bigger eye to eye shock. Delete shapeshifter and mount shock to the upper rocker. Look at the pic i attached

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 23:36 Quote
Trustyrael wrote:
In fact you can put bigger eye to eye shock. Delete shapeshifter and mount shock to the upper rocker. Look at the pic i attached

Maybe you could squeeze a longer stroke shock, offset bushing can help with that but a 240x70 seems way outside the adaptive range. Even it you make it fit the kinematics would probably be a mess. In no way I suspension expert but, with so much more stroke/air volume wouldn't the mid stroke support be terrible? If you added enough pressure to gain support you would probably only be able to use half shock stroke anyway. I love to see people try out different things but im struggling to see how the numbers fit to make the bike ride better.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 23:56 Quote
Trustyrael wrote:
Because i think that strive is 140 bike in fact, and not 160. 200x57 shock is too small for 160 mm rear suspension. With bigger shock its gonna be plushier(soft). And its easier to find and buy 240x74 shock

I guess when Fabien Barel & Canyon spent all that time designing it they forgot to take the plushierernessness into account lol

Sounds like faff for faff's sake. Just ride it or get another bike if you're not happy with it.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 19:09 Quote
Hi

I have got 2018 strive cf9 and am looking for pics of peoples head tubes...i did a service on my forks, reinstalled the forks and swear the gap between the fork crown and lower head tube looks bigger than it was. Its freaking me out as ive re done the headset install and fork install 3 times now with the same result...id love some pics to put my mind at ease before a weekend of lots of riding...cheers..pete

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 2:40 Quote
petemichalski wrote:
Hi

I have got 2018 strive cf9 and am looking for pics of peoples head tubes...i did a service on my forks, reinstalled the forks and swear the gap between the fork crown and lower head tube looks bigger than it was. Its freaking me out as ive re done the headset install and fork install 3 times now with the same result...id love some pics to put my mind at ease before a weekend of lots of riding...cheers..pete

Post a pic of yours that'll be simpler

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
I've had my Spectral CFR 9.0 SL 2019 for 1½ month now, and I've after countless of hours trying to locate, found out, that the pivot links(horst link) that connects seat stay and chain stay has this weird knocking sound and play. First I thought it was the the rear wheel that had the play in the DT SWISS 240 hub or axle somewhere(very unlikely though). I borrowed a friends(he also owns a Spectral 2019) rear wheel, and there was still play. Did the same with axle and rear shock.

When I hold a finger touching the very end tip of the chain stay and the seat stay at the same time, while flexing the rear wheel from side to side holding at 2 -3 o'clock from left side, I clearly feel movement, both left and right sides. Did the same on my friends bike, and there is absolutely no movement here.

I have stripped down the whole rear triangle, cleaned(everything was clean though) and greased everything and build everything back up and torqued everything back to spec. The plays is still there.

I find it very unlikely, it is the four bearings, two sitting as pairs against eachother in the seat stays. Can it really be the cup where the bearings are pressed that might be defect, meaning the carbon itself?

Anyone experienced anything like this?


 
Active Forum Threads
27 mins ago - Kona Process 153 vs Ibis Ripmo AF: Which is Better For Beginners?
1 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
1 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
2 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
2 hours ago - Greece for enduro riding in winter
3 hours ago - 2020 - SantaCruz Tallboy Carbon vs Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 SL
4 hours ago - Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
4 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
4 hours ago - Trail Conditions for Calgarians
5 hours ago - Post your Propain!
5 hours ago - How should I go about custom painting my fork?
5 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
5 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
5 hours ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
5 hours ago - I really want my bike back....
6 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)
6 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
7 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
7 hours ago - Better cable routing grommets - 2019 Capra AL
7 hours ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
7 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
7 hours ago - Motobecane Hal Boost: Anyone Riding a BD Bike?
7 hours ago - Best Do it all Bike
8 hours ago - Having a hell of a time finding a replacement wheel
8 hours ago - transition pbj

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015391
Mobile Version of Website