Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
Hi,

I am upgrading my 2018 canyon strive rear shock.
Just wondering if the mounting hardware on the top of the shock should be able to rotate and move.
I believe it should but it is stuck solid in the position you can see in this photo.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
petemichalski wrote:
Hi

I have got 2018 strive cf9 and am looking for pics of peoples head tubes...i did a service on my forks, reinstalled the forks and swear the gap between the fork crown and lower head tube looks bigger than it was. Its freaking me out as ive re done the headset install and fork install 3 times now with the same result...id love some pics to put my mind at ease before a weekend of lots of riding...cheers..pete

Post a pic of yours that'll be simpler

Gap between head tube and fork crown - Approx 2mm
Gap between head tube and fork crown - Approx 2mm

Head tube to fork crown gap
Head tube to fork crown gap

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
AndrewGray wrote:
Hi,

I am upgrading my 2018 canyon strive rear shock.
Just wondering if the mounting hardware on the top of the shock should be able to rotate and move.
I believe it should but it is stuck solid in the position you can see in this photo.

Straight forward answer is 'Yes'. The shock pivots as you change the Shapeshifter position. Need to get the bearings/bushings freed off. Maybe wrong ones/sizes fitted?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
wrote:
[Quote]
Straight forward answer is 'Yes'. The shock pivots as you change the Shapeshifter position. Need to get the bearings/bushings freed off. Maybe wrong ones/sizes fitted?

It's a brand new shock from J-tech suspension and they swapped the mounting hardware over from my old shock.
I was positive it used to move freely so was confused when I couldnt move it and started doubting myself.

I would send you headtube pics for you to compare but I'm still quite far from finishing my rebuild! Is you crown race flush?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
Evanesco wrote:
I've had my Spectral CFR 9.0 SL 2019 for 1½ month now, and I've after countless of hours trying to locate, found out, that the pivot links(horst link) that connects seat stay and chain stay has this weird knocking sound and play. First I thought it was the the rear wheel that had the play in the DT SWISS 240 hub or axle somewhere(very unlikely though). I borrowed a friends(he also owns a Spectral 2019) rear wheel, and there was still play. Did the same with axle and rear shock.

When I hold a finger touching the very end tip of the chain stay and the seat stay at the same time, while flexing the rear wheel from side to side holding at 2 -3 o'clock from left side, I clearly feel movement, both left and right sides. Did the same on my friends bike, and there is absolutely no movement here.

I have stripped down the whole rear triangle, cleaned(everything was clean though) and greased everything and build everything back up and torqued everything back to spec. The plays is still there.

I find it very unlikely, it is the four bearings, two sitting as pairs against eachother in the seat stays. Can it really be the cup where the bearings are pressed that might be defect, meaning the carbon itself?

Anyone experienced anything like this?

My 2 cents...

Yes there could be play between the bearing and the bearing housing (which is an insert in the carbon). Chances are that it is just a little bit over tolerance. You can get Loctite bearing retainer compound that will work up to about 0.15mm of clearance. It cures in between the bearing and bearing housing but you can still pop the bearings out by tapping them when needed.

Bikes are made with only a small interference fit, and if you get unlucky enough to have an oversize housing and undersize bearings, then you will get play.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 22:52 Quote
wrote:
AndrewGray wrote:
[Quote]

It's a brand new shock from J-tech suspension and they swapped the mounting hardware over from my old shock.
I was positive it used to move freely so was confused when I couldnt move it and started doubting myself.

I would send you headtube pics for you to compare but I'm still quite far from finishing my rebuild! Is you crown race flush?
2 points I can think of....
The cane creek bushing size is different from the rest, I thought this was just OD, but it could be ID too. The canyon drawings detail different parts for cane creek.
Secondly I thought you couldn't fit this shock to strives as it fouls at full compression. Check out the forum. The IL version had been used but not the DB coil.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 4:51 Quote
/ delete this post

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 4:51 Quote
/ delete this post - sorry

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 4:52 Quote
handynzl wrote:
Evanesco wrote:
I've had my Spectral CFR 9.0 SL 2019 for 1½ month now, and I've after countless of hours trying to locate, found out, that the pivot links(horst link) that connects seat stay and chain stay has this weird knocking sound and play. First I thought it was the the rear wheel that had the play in the DT SWISS 240 hub or axle somewhere(very unlikely though). I borrowed a friends(he also owns a Spectral 2019) rear wheel, and there was still play. Did the same with axle and rear shock.

When I hold a finger touching the very end tip of the chain stay and the seat stay at the same time, while flexing the rear wheel from side to side holding at 2 -3 o'clock from left side, I clearly feel movement, both left and right sides. Did the same on my friends bike, and there is absolutely no movement here.

I have stripped down the whole rear triangle, cleaned(everything was clean though) and greased everything and build everything back up and torqued everything back to spec. The plays is still there.

I find it very unlikely, it is the four bearings, two sitting as pairs against eachother in the seat stays. Can it really be the cup where the bearings are pressed that might be defect, meaning the carbon itself?

Anyone experienced anything like this?

My 2 cents...

Yes there could be play between the bearing and the bearing housing (which is an insert in the carbon). Chances are that it is just a little bit over tolerance. You can get Loctite bearing retainer compound that will work up to about 0.15mm of clearance. It cures in between the bearing and bearing housing but you can still pop the bearings out by tapping them when needed.

Bikes are made with only a small interference fit, and if you get unlucky enough to have an oversize housing and undersize bearings, then you will get play.

Thanks mate! Can you point me in the direction of the correct Loctite that I should use?

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
So.. How am I pulling out these bearings? They sit in pairs close together.
Canyon Spectral CFR 2019. All carbon! The bearings are with a lib on the outer race, so they can't be pressed through.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
AndrewGray wrote:
[Quote]

2 points I can think of....
The cane creek bushing size is different from the rest, I thought this was just OD, but it could be ID too. The canyon drawings detail different parts for cane creek.
Secondly I thought you couldn't fit this shock to strives as it fouls at full compression. Check out the forum. The IL version had been used but not the DB coil.

When I fitted the Fox DPX2 shock to my Strive, it had to be fitted upside down (as Canyon do at the factory), otherwise it would have fouled on full compression. Maybe your coil shock needs to be fitted upside down to normal as well? Need to make sure otherwise you may have a major mechanical failure resulting in injury.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
wrote:
AndrewGray wrote:
[Quote]

Not sure what you mean by flush? There's a dirt deflector seal/plate which goes on the steerer tube. It has a connicle shape which sits into the chamfer of the inner race of the lower head tube bearing - if that's what you mean?

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
AndrewGray wrote:
Probably confused with the fox x2, that definitely hits in DH mode. Just wondering why everyone runs the CC DB Coil IL instead? Have you tried full compression DH mode?

https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=149137&pagenum=394

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
yeti-monster wrote:
AndrewGray wrote:
Probably confused with the fox x2, that definitely hits in DH mode. Just wondering why everyone runs the CC DB Coil IL instead? Have you tried full compression DH mode?

https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=149137&pagenum=394
Please photo in dh mode, i'm willing to put ccdb air and pretty suspicious,if it fits

Active Forum Threads
15 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
27 mins ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
29 mins ago - Kona Process 153 vs Ibis Ripmo AF: Which is Better For Beginners?
1 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
2 hours ago - Greece for enduro riding in winter
2 hours ago - 2020 - SantaCruz Tallboy Carbon vs Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 SL
3 hours ago - Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
3 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
4 hours ago - Trail Conditions for Calgarians
4 hours ago - Post your Propain!
4 hours ago - How should I go about custom painting my fork?
4 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
4 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
4 hours ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
4 hours ago - I really want my bike back....
5 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)
5 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
6 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
6 hours ago - Better cable routing grommets - 2019 Capra AL
6 hours ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
6 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
6 hours ago - Motobecane Hal Boost: Anyone Riding a BD Bike?
7 hours ago - Best Do it all Bike
7 hours ago - Having a hell of a time finding a replacement wheel
7 hours ago - transition pbj

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010696
Mobile Version of Website