Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 21:51 Quote
Can anyone confirm which angle sets work for the 2019 Canyon Strive? I remember someone mentioned using a slack-r but said there was a spacing issue with the top cup. Was the owner able to fix that issues?

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 21:12 Quote
received my canyon strive 1 month ago and straight out of the box the linkage between the shapeshifter and the shock has play in it. the little metal axle actually started to wiggle out on 1 of my rides and I was able to push it back in and tighten the 2 bolts down. the bolts were already really tight and I'm aware that metal axle has groves to stop this. but some how it didn't.

waiting to hear back from canyon but its been 3 weeks and still no answers from them. anyone else have this issue?

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 11:11 Quote
I’ve experienced a bit of play in the shapeshifter itself…very little play that I’ve seen some other folks telling about. I’m also riding a 2021 model, did some “heavy” rides and I haven’t noticed anything that is worrying me that much. To me honest I’m not feeling the play all the time. By the way, be careful with these small bolts that are “holding” the linkage to the shock. They are CRAP! Replaced mine because I blew up one of those. Keep us posted on your solution.

bob8fred wrote:
received my canyon strive 1 month ago and straight out of the box the linkage between the shapeshifter and the shock has play in it. the little metal axle actually started to wiggle out on 1 of my rides and I was able to push it back in and tighten the 2 bolts down. the bolts were already really tight and I'm aware that metal axle has groves to stop this. but some how it didn't.

waiting to hear back from canyon but its been 3 weeks and still no answers from them. anyone else have this issue?

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
Hey Forum peeps,

I have been the owner of a new canyon neuron 9 cf slx for a month now, and have been loving it until this morning when a bolt dropped onto the garage floor, and it’s been sheared off. Pics here but since my LBS (tried two) had no answers I’m wondering if this is a common thing with canyon? I ride probably 75 miles a week generally flowy non techy Breckenridge xc trails but just came off a Santa Cruz tallBoy for nine years and nothing… I’m a little worried since only one fall and any air I get is just off of pretty small rollers.

Anyone else ever have this and have a workaround? Hoping canyon will send the part.

Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuZvPMNZdDObnxintmLpe083Ms4-grCW/view?usp=sharing

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Davichin wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
breakthebeta wrote:

What year and which parts of the frame have you cracked?
1 Chainstay (2nd week of ownership) and 2 bottom bracket seat tube interfaces. Posted photos of first bottom bracket crack here a few years back. Actually got a call from a canyon rep to say they were aware of the issue and would resolve in future layups. The second one they replaced with a new frame from a different MY. Anyway it happened again. I recommended everyone checked there frames in this area. Its hidden behind the chainstay bracing, and actually a highly stressed area where there are rotational forces at play. The chainstay is forced up at the same time the shock and rider pushes down, where the seat tube is the fulcrum

A month ago I broke the seatstay of my Strive 2016 and I had to ride home with the rear wheel rubbing and damaging the chainstay. Canyon Spain was excellent with warranty as I got a new full rear triangle in just a couple of days.

I have a collection of frames.
I don't understand why Canyon didn't recall it for the problem. My last frame cracked last month.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
alrcopa wrote:
Davichin wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:

1 Chainstay (2nd week of ownership) and 2 bottom bracket seat tube interfaces. Posted photos of first bottom bracket crack here a few years back. Actually got a call from a canyon rep to say they were aware of the issue and would resolve in future layups. The second one they replaced with a new frame from a different MY. Anyway it happened again. I recommended everyone checked there frames in this area. Its hidden behind the chainstay bracing, and actually a highly stressed area where there are rotational forces at play. The chainstay is forced up at the same time the shock and rider pushes down, where the seat tube is the fulcrum

A month ago I broke the seatstay of my Strive 2016 and I had to ride home with the rear wheel rubbing and damaging the chainstay. Canyon Spain was excellent with warranty as I got a new full rear triangle in just a couple of days.

I have a collection of frames.
I don't understand why Canyon didn't recall it for the problem. My last frame cracked last month.

My friend has had the same cracks to his 2018 Transition Patrol. While it may be a known issue it may only happen to very few of their customers.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
I have been following the chatter on here for awhile because I was considering getting a strive a few years back but end up getting a Jeffsy 27.5. Seems like there is not much talk about the spectral 29 on this thread, I know it is a new bike but surely a few pinkbikers have one. Does everyone just pick the strive over the spectral 29? Im curious how people like the Spectral 29 as I'm considering it to replace the Jeffsy. thanks.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 0:38 Quote
trothgeb wrote:
I have been following the chatter on here for awhile because I was considering getting a strive a few years back but end up getting a Jeffsy 27.5. Seems like there is not much talk about the spectral 29 on this thread, I know it is a new bike but surely a few pinkbikers have one. Does everyone just pick the strive over the spectral 29? Im curious how people like the Spectral 29 as I'm considering it to replace the Jeffsy. thanks.

The Strive is older, quite a bit cheaper and has a more agressive componentry, so not surprising it's more common than the Spectral 29.

I've only seen very positive stuff on the Spectral tho.

Jack Moir has recently done a video comparing both to see which he would use this EWS season. It's quite an interesting one.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
trothgeb wrote:

there are pics of mine a few pages back...the bike is a beast, honestly its sick (coming from a 2016 spectral 27), on my local bikeparks in south of france the bike is faster than my sender on any track but the full on double blacks...

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
Yetichon wrote:
trothgeb wrote:

The Strive is older, quite a bit cheaper and has a more agressive componentry, so not surprising it's more common than the Spectral 29.

Jack Moir has recently done a video comparing both to see which he would use this EWS season. It's quite an interesting one.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Jack Moir video. Its interesting he found the strive more maneuverable. I figured the strive was more on the side of an enduro sled that will just plow through everything type of bike and the spectral is more on the poppy/playful side. But he did put a 180 fork on the spectral so maybe that made the bike a bit longer then he likes. I dont plan on doing any racing so I think the spectral is more in my wheelhouse.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
trothgeb wrote:

there are pics of mine a few pages back...the bike is a beast, honestly its sick (coming from a 2016 spectral 27), on my local bikeparks in south of france the bike is faster than my sender on any track but the full on double blacks...

It great to hear to are loving the spectral 29, especially since you are coming from a spectral 27 which seems to have similar numbers to my 2018 jeffsy 27 which I'm looking to replace.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 2:22 Quote
trothgeb wrote:
Yetichon wrote:
trothgeb wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation on the Jack Moir video. Its interesting he found the strive more maneuverable. I figured the strive was more on the side of an enduro sled that will just plow through everything type of bike and the spectral is more on the poppy/playful side. But he did put a 180 fork on the spectral so maybe that made the bike a bit longer then he likes. I dont plan on doing any racing so I think the spectral is more in my wheelhouse.

They both are really close bikes, but the Strive is steeper and shorter than the Spectral. In reality, the Spectral is the harder hiter of the two.

It's just that they decided to place it as their big trail bike rather than their enduro bike, so it doesn't interfer with the Strive "enduro" label. So despite having the same travel, a more agressive geometry and a more progressive rear end, the componentry is clearly on the lighter end on the Spectral.

It's quite a weird line up for their big 29ers.

That being said, I'm not surprised at all that Moir choose the Strive / the more maneuverable one. It's in line with the big test with timed laps that Enduro-mtb did last year. The smaller and "steeper" bikes of the bunch were the fastest. It should be even more apparent in an EWS situation where you don't really know the track and you want something you are confortable on to throw around rather than a big plower that requires more track knowledge.

I still think the Spectral is a great choice. Would be a hard choice between my Strive and a new Spectral.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
Strive in Action! Cool

JudgeJor wrote:

Upgraded and rebuilt my 2019 Strive 6.0 to "Need for Speed -edition" Big Grin Basically all the stuff mentioned on that Enduro magazine article (Didn't go for AXS or carbon rims though). It is much better now on the downhills and still decent on climbing and transfer. A good shakedown riding up and down Mt. Matajur.

On the M-sized Strive, there is maybe 1-2 mm of frame clearance after increasing the rear shock length to 65 mm.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
I just purchased a Spectral CF 7. Its a fun bike on the flats to steep down hill grades but I do feel the weight of it climbing. That's compared to riding an xc bike that weighs around 25 lbs (2010 FS Trek Gary Fisher superfly 100).

Trying to decide if its a keeper. Suffer more on the long climbs we have around here in Eastern Washinton but have more fun after the climb

or

Have an easier climb with the superfly and suffer on technical trails and fast downhill with 100mm travel, 2.25 inch tires and steep head angles.

I'm going to fit a 30T ring to see if a lower gear helps the CF7.

FWIW, I'm between sizes M and L at almost 5'11 and with a 32" inseam. I went with the L and no problems with dropper post fit, 5/8" before hitting seat tube. The L was the correct choice for me.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
freeskiguy wrote:
I just purchased a Spectral CF 7. Its a fun bike on the flats to steep down hill grades but I do feel the weight of it climbing. That's compared to riding an xc bike that weighs around 25 lbs (2010 FS Trek Gary Fisher superfly 100).

Trying to decide if its a keeper. Suffer more on the long climbs we have around here in Eastern Washinton but have more fun after the climb

or

Have an easier climb with the superfly and suffer on technical trails and fast downhill with 100mm travel, 2.25 inch tires and steep head angles.

I'm going to fit a 30T ring to see if a lower gear helps the CF7.

FWIW, I'm between sizes M and L at almost 5'11 and with a 32" inseam. I went with the L and no problems with dropper post fit, 5/8" before hitting seat tube. The L was the correct choice for me.

Thanks for the advice on the sizing. Im 5'9 with a 30'' inseam and thinking the medium is probably the right choice for me. although when use the size calculator on the canyon website is says I should go with a small which cant be correct.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011859
Mobile Version of Website