Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
higor wrote:
I’ve experienced a bit of play in the shapeshifter itself…very little play that I’ve seen some other folks telling about. I’m also riding a 2021 model, did some “heavy” rides and I haven’t noticed anything that is worrying me that much. To me honest I’m not feeling the play all the time. By the way, be careful with these small bolts that are “holding” the linkage to the shock. They are CRAP! Replaced mine because I blew up one of those. Keep us posted on your solution.

bob8fred wrote:
received my canyon strive 1 month ago and straight out of the box the linkage between the shapeshifter and the shock has play in it. the little metal axle actually started to wiggle out on 1 of my rides and I was able to push it back in and tighten the 2 bolts down. the bolts were already really tight and I'm aware that metal axle has groves to stop this. but some how it didn't.

waiting to hear back from canyon but its been 3 weeks and still no answers from them. anyone else have this issue?

received a new shapeshifter parts kit from canyon and installed all new bushings, metal bar and the shapeshifter link. no play anymore

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 23:31 Quote
Chainstay snapped on 2014 Nerve AL. Excellent service from as they found an old chainstay in their warehouse and shipped it to me, including the pivot axel bolt, FOC which I was impressed with.

My only issue now is that the pivot bearings in the frame have disintegrated leaving only the two outer races and I don think I've got anything at home which could safely bodge their removal.

Expanding concrete bolts might be an answer but I can't find big enough ones to expand to the 25/26mm diameter I would probably need and I don't want to resort to a Dremel. Any hints?

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 23:18 Quote
1st time PDS / Portes Du Soleil… 2 weeks full of awesome memories… thanks guys!!!
Bad luck with rain and thunderstorms almost every 2-3 days but I´ve made the best out of it and was on my bike till a hard crash after day 9

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 18:00 Quote
Has anyone fitted a 150mm rear shock to small spectral 2019?
Looking to upgrade but not sure if it will fit.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 2:29 Quote
dropotaro wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the 2019 Spectrals already have 150mm rear travel (except the WMNs models, they are 150/140).

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 23:07 Quote
constantly-broken wrote:
dropotaro wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the 2019 Spectrals already have 150mm rear travel (except the WMNs models, they are 150/140).

Yeah everything in a size medium and up does but the small only has the 140

210x55 on the small
230x65 on everything else

I spoke to Canyon and the said they didn't know if it would fit and would have to make my own decision.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
dropotaro wrote:
constantly-broken wrote:
dropotaro wrote:

210x55 on the small

I spoke to Canyon and the said they didn't know if it would fit and would have to make my own decision.

Might be worth trying a 216mm/8.5" eye to eye shock for the extra travel. This could be used in conjunction with offset bushings to decrease the increase of eye to eye length if desired. There probably isn't a common stroke length that will give you exactly 10mm more travel though

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
breakthebeta wrote:
dropotaro wrote:
constantly-broken wrote:

210x55 on the small

Might be worth trying a 216mm/8.5" eye to eye shock for the extra travel. This could be used in conjunction with offset bushings to decrease the increase of eye to eye length if desired. There probably isn't a common stroke length that will give you exactly 10mm more travel though

Thanks for the help, I have the local bike shop looking into it now. Unfortunately I will likely keep it the same travel with a new shock.
Thoughts on the new Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate?

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
I’m not sure if this has been discussed before… but my new Canyon Spectral:ON CF7 is having an issue with the dropper post. There is a grub screw that sets the height out of the frame for the dropper post. Torque setting on the frame is only 4nm. My issue is with my weight (245lbs) often while I’m riding the total dropper post is sinking into the frame.(the post itself hold whatever height I set it at, it’s the complete post held in the frame) I’ve tightened the grub screw a bit more than 4nm and it held for awhile but it’s dropped again. I’m thinking of taking out the grub screw and maybe cross hatching the tip so it’ll grab the dropper outside tube better?

Thoughts, ideas.. (other than lose a ton of weight.. I know)

TIA

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
W2ge wrote:
I’m not sure if this has been discussed before… but my new Canyon Spectral:ON CF7 is having an issue with the dropper post. There is a grub screw that sets the height out of the frame for the dropper post. Torque setting on the frame is only 4nm. My issue is with my weight (245lbs) often while I’m riding the total dropper post is sinking into the frame.(the post itself hold whatever height I set it at, it’s the complete post held in the frame) I’ve tightened the grub screw a bit more than 4nm and it held for awhile but it’s dropped again. I’m thinking of taking out the grub screw and maybe cross hatching the tip so it’ll grab the dropper outside tube better?

Thoughts, ideas.. (other than lose a ton of weight.. I know)

TIA

I've used a three shoe brake hone to cross hatch the seat tube on aluminum frames to remedy this issue. Run it up and down maybe 4 to 6 times depending on type of aluminum. I thoroughly clean out the tube and apply a light coat of grease. A light coat of grease itself will improve bite on a smooth seat tube. My post was slipping on my latest aluminum frame as the original dropper did not allow for much torque on the seat clamp post, didn't work! Cleaned out the seat tube and applied light grease, it slipped a little on occasion until I finally upgraded the dropper to one that allowed a little more torque.

Oh, my bad, yours is carbon, don't cross hatch! Use carbon paste or maybe you are.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
Your cross hatching of the seat tube gave me an idea. So far, I removed the M8 grub screw which has a flat tip on it. I placed it in a small vise and using a Dremel with a cutting wheel I cut a cross groove in the tip. Now I’m thinking of maybe roughening up the dropper post seat tube in the area where the grub screw contacts it so it will have further “bite”. (Your cross hatching idea)

Yep, the frame is Carbon Fiber.

Just googled carbon paste, didn’t know anything about it; I’m gonna order some now. Thanks, sounds like exactly what I need!

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
This may have been answered in an earlier post but I really don't have time to go on another Easter egg hunt today. Has anyone attempted to mullet their Strive? If so, how did it work for ya? Thanks

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
codeman189 wrote:
This may have been answered in an earlier post but I really don't have time to go on another Easter egg hunt today. Has anyone attempted to mullet their Strive? If so, how did it work for ya? Thanks

I have recently. I used a 2mm offset bushing on the bottom to raise the bottom bracket, 170 air spring in my Fox 36, and a 50mm stem. Feels decent but I've only been riding it at the downhill park. According to bike-stats.de it puts the BB at ~17mm which is about where the new Patrol's high setting is. I still pedal strike sometimes though.

Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
codeman189 wrote:
i did it and my pedals hit the ground when I bunny hopped

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
Hey thanks for the info. I don't think I'll mullet the Strive. I don't like pedal strikes ha ha. Glad to hear some other people have tried it though. I was certainly curious.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006998
Mobile Version of Website