Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: May 10, 2015 at 13:22 Quote
The Strive is a complete beast and just makes you want to motor through things rather than hoping over them which is what I tend to do with the Spectral. To be honest I have not found anything in the UK so far that I can't do on the Spectral so the Strive is probably over kill for here......

As for which one I prefer, thats really hard as I lover them both and am lucky that I can have both! However, if I was going to choose and wanted a bike that would work for big mountain jaunts as well as the UK, I would probably stay with the Strive CF

jakebeach1996 wrote:
Seeing as you have a strive and a spectral that both seem to be built pretty much the same, which do you prefer and how different are they? Just out of interest really as I considered changing to the spectral carbon quite a few times but ended up sticking with the strive

Posted: May 10, 2015 at 13:29 Quote
I did actually break the frame and looked at a crash replacement but I decided I would just buy a new bike and sell the bits I didn't need off of the frame which basically almost got me to the same cost as the crash replacement! Was an easier transaction with Canyon as well.

I haven't really ridden it in anger yet and have just bombed up and down the road, but it does feel noticeably different to be honest. 17mm is a lot on a top tube.

downer wrote:
AdamBartonUK wrote:
Just replaced my 2014 Spectral Frame with a 2015 one and I was really surprised about the difference. I knew they had made them a little longer but that 17mm does appear to make things a lot better. Not saying my 2014 bike was particularly bad, but it was a little tight in the medium size and sometimes a little snatchy.

Adam how did you get a new frame ? was it a warranty ? i feel the same sometimes about my 2014 and often wondered about how much a differance the longer 2015 would make .

Posted: May 10, 2015 at 17:07 Quote
5 bar is about 75 psi, so quite a bit

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
Thanks for the response guys, good to know I'm not the only one. I emailed Canyon on their site yesterday so I'll keep you posted with how I get on with the warranty claim.

I have to say it's good of them to let you send back the old shapeshifter after you've fitted the new one.

@jakebeach1996 & @migo8, was it easy to fit the new gas spring and have you had issues since you replaced it?

Thanks, James

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 8:13 Quote
jimbojrt wrote:
Thanks for the response guys, good to know I'm not the only one. I emailed Canyon on their site yesterday so I'll keep you posted with how I get on with the warranty claim.

I have to say it's good of them to let you send back the old shapeshifter after you've fitted the new one.

@jakebeach1996 & @migo8, was it easy to fit the new gas spring and have you had issues since you replaced it?

Thanks, James

Only had 1 ride so not long enough to find any problems.

Canyon sent me this guide, easy to follow and do if you have basic tools, i.e. a set of ellen keys and cable cutters. They give you the cable and a 10mm attachment for the torque wrench they gave you with the bike. It also mentions you should put some lactate on a stud but i haven't done this yet. I also haven't got a proper torque wrench so I haven't torqued up the 17nm bolts

https://www.canyon.com/en/supportcenter/article.html?supportcenter_categories_id=41&supportcenter_articles_id=293&page=2

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 23:15 Quote
Rode it for the first time in anger last night with a little bimble around the Olympic track in Essex, UK. That 17mm does make a difference, lot more stable jumping or on drops, and also through the rock gardens.....felt a lot less twitchy and in fact very similar to the feeling I get with the Strive, but without the bigger bouncy bits :-).

I guess size is everything eh? tup tup

AdamBartonUK wrote:
I did actually break the frame and looked at a crash replacement but I decided I would just buy a new bike and sell the bits I didn't need off of the frame which basically almost got me to the same cost as the crash replacement! Was an easier transaction with Canyon as well.

I haven't really ridden it in anger yet and have just bombed up and down the road, but it does feel noticeably different to be honest. 17mm is a lot on a top tube.

downer wrote:
AdamBartonUK wrote:
Just replaced my 2014 Spectral Frame with a 2015 one and I was really surprised about the difference. I knew they had made them a little longer but that 17mm does appear to make things a lot better. Not saying my 2014 bike was particularly bad, but it was a little tight in the medium size and sometimes a little snatchy.

Adam how did you get a new frame ? was it a warranty ? i feel the same sometimes about my 2014 and often wondered about how much a differance the longer 2015 would make .

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 3:51 Quote
jakebeach1996 wrote:
jimbojrt wrote:

Thanks, James

Only had 1 ride so not long enough to find any problems.

Canyon sent me this guide, easy to follow and do if you have basic tools, i.e. a set of ellen keys and cable cutters. They give you the cable and a 10mm attachment for the torque wrench they gave you with the bike. It also mentions you should put some lactate on a stud but i haven't done this yet. I also haven't got a proper torque wrench so I haven't torqued up the 17nm bolts

https://www.canyon.com/en/supportcenter/article.html?supportcenter_categories_id=41&supportcenter_articles_id=293&page=2

Thanks jakebeach. Still waiting for them to get back to me and it's pretty much impossible to get through to Canyon UK on the phone....le sigh

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 6:13 Quote
mtbboy05 wrote:
Anyone have a spectral al 8.0 ex 2015? what do you think of it/

Yep I have one and love it. Like someone else said climbs really well, my biking mates hate it for that reason Big Grin

Posted: May 13, 2015 at 13:53 Quote
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as my head is completely melted. I ordered a medium race strive 9.0 which is very close to being shipped. I am 172.5 cm which is right at the top of the small size, the medium starts at 174 cm. I understand the race medium is on the big side. Is it better to be at the top of the small size or size up to the medium race. My current bike is a medium zesty which I sometimes feel could be a bit bigger, Any advice would be greatly relieved. Thanks.

Posted: May 13, 2015 at 22:12 Quote
The medium race is really long. It is actually a large size when it comes to effective top tube.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 1:21 Quote
kingfluther wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as my head is completely melted. I ordered a medium race strive 9.0 which is very close to being shipped. I am 172.5 cm which is right at the top of the small size, the medium starts at 174 cm. I understand the race medium is on the big side. Is it better to be at the top of the small size or size up to the medium race. My current bike is a medium zesty which I sometimes feel could be a bit bigger, Any advice would be greatly relieved. Thanks.

i am roughly at the same height with you. I am riding a small race. Per your height, I would really recommend the small race. Medium race would be too much stretched unless you have a longer upper body with longer arms relative to others. Smile

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 2:00 Quote
kingfluther wrote:

in case these are the zesty numbers (TT+stem):
zesty M: 605+55 = 660

and considering you want it to be a bit longer M Race seems spot on:
Strive S Race: 600/40 = 640
Strive M Race: 629/40 = 669
Strive L: 626/70 = 696

mind you'll probably need to cut down the 780 bar

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 3:14 Quote
Thanks for all the help and advice lads. I only ever feel like my zesty could be a bit bigger when I'm climbing as my arse seems to hang of the back of the saddle a bit. I think I might go with the small race as the medium seems like it might be a bit big. Thanks.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 3:57 Quote
kingfluther wrote:
Thanks for all the help and advice lads. I only ever feel like my zesty could be a bit bigger when I'm climbing as my arse seems to hang of the back of the saddle a bit. I think I might go with the small race as the medium seems like it might be a bit big. Thanks.

I'm in a similar position to you but between the medium and large race as I'm just over 5'10". I ordered the large race and then was a bit worried it would be too big. In the MBR review the test rider was 5'10" and he sized up to a large and I've since sat on a strive cf race large bike and it felt fine so I've decided to stick with the large. Don't know if this helps at all.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 4:24 Quote
Addy95 wrote:
kingfluther wrote:

I'm in a similar position to you but between the medium and large race as I'm just over 5'10". I ordered the large race and then was a bit worried it would be too big. In the MBR review the test rider was 5'10" and he sized up to a large and I've since sat on a strive cf race large bike and it felt fine so I've decided to stick with the large. Don't know if this helps at all.

It does Thanks.I change my mind Lmost on an hourly basis. My zesty has a tt of 590 + 90 stem. Thats very similar to the 629+ 40 of the medium race strive. I'd just hate to end up with a small bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015938
Mobile Version of Website