1ply tire and heavy tube vs 2ply tire and light tube

PB Forum :: Downhill
1ply tire and heavy tube vs 2ply tire and light tube
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2013 at 22:43 Quote
for pinch flats at lower pressure 15-25 and weight

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 at 0:18 Quote
You are more likely to pinch flat in that pressure range, I would keep note as to where you ride and which section of your track you pinch flat on. The solution could be line choice in a tech section or simply squashing a jump and landing smooth instead of popping off it and landing harsher.

15psi is quite low, I used to run that kind of pressure back in the days of riding my session 10, I was around 60kg at the time (without gear weight) and I would pinch occasionally on landings mostly on the front. Moving on and at around 82kg I am now running 26-28psi on the front and 30psi on the back and it works for me.

I have used Continental Super Sonic tubes (light as fook) for years with no problems inside a dual ply tire, I can't imagine doing it the other way around.

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 at 6:15 Quote
if you want to ride low pressures like that, I suggest converting your wheels to tubeless (Stans, ghetto etc)
I stopped getting flats entirely when I did that to my 729s, usually running 18-22psi, 2 ply tires, and weighing 75-80kg without gear. and I rode nothing but loose, rocky hills.

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 at 11:41 Quote
im debating the tubeless, i have a few 2ply tires with wire beads

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 at 23:43 Quote
If your rim is tubeless, just throw some sealant in the tyre, and pump it up. My DH bike currently has a pair of Swampthing DH tyres, 2ply, running tubeless. Had them like this for about 6 months, never flatted. But then, before that I had a set of 2ply tyres on EX721 rims, regular tubes, never flatted even at super low pressures ...

Suspension has also something to do with flatting. If you hit a square rock, and your suspension doesn't move at all (or too late), you'll most likely pinch flat.

Posted: Jun 19, 2013 at 23:59 Quote
i just converted my back arrow racing dhh/dhx rim to tubeless with a hutchison bulldog ust. used an 20 inch tube i cut about an inch wide and glued into the rim, then ran electrical tape around the edges a few times

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007011
Mobile Version of Website