Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post*

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post*
Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
I haven't been on here long, but I got a message regarding my Wanted ad.

The guy simply said "I have what you want for sale." To me not mentioning anything about it is a total red flag.

So I ask him what he has, exactly. He replies, "What you are looking for Touring bike, large (Surly LHT"... Again, nothing else.

I don't want to mention a name, because maybe he doesn't really deal with selling on the net? I don't know. He also has a bike for sale, so if he's a scammer it would be nice to get rid of him before someone gets screwed.

Being new here i'd like to know what you guys think.

He also appears to have copy/pasted info from a similar bike onto his "sale"

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 9:33 Quote
outsideyourworld wrote:

The guy simply said "I have what you want for sale." To me not mentioning anything about it is a total red flag.

So I ask him what he has, exactly. He replies, "What you are looking for Touring bike, large (Surly LHT"... Again, nothing else.

I don't want to mention a name, because maybe he doesn't really deal with selling on the net? I don't know. He also has a bike for sale, so if he's a scammer it would be nice to get rid of him before someone gets screwed.

without a link to item or a name it's pretty hard to help unless you deal with a mod/admin

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
shiver-dc wrote:
outsideyourworld wrote:

without a link to item or a name it's pretty hard to help unless you deal with a mod/admin

Yea I wasn't sure of how people deal with such things on this site. In many places it's frowned on unless you have some proof of a scam.

I just looked at his profile today and it's deleted, with his messages in my inbox flagged as a "verified scammer." So it's all good now.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 14:04 Quote
outsideyourworld wrote:
shiver-dc wrote:
outsideyourworld wrote:

Yea I wasn't sure of how people deal with such things on this site. In many places it's frowned on unless you have some proof of a scam.

I just looked at his profile today and it's deleted, with his messages in my inbox flagged as a "verified scammer." So it's all good now.
well at least it was sorted before it went any further

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 15:39 Quote
meintjes7 wrote:
I sold a bike to Wesley Hodge for $1,200.00. I shipped the bike to Hodge via Fed Ex, and Fed Ex showed it as delivered to his address. Hodge informed me that the bike never arrived.

The bike is a 2014 Norco Aurum LE. This is my original advertisement for the bike, including pictures.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2168715/

Hodge responded to my ad on Pinkbike, where he uses the user name "Wth118."

I noticed on Pinkbike, under Hodge's user name "Wth118," that he has three photos of the bike I sold him, in what appears to be his garage, each with the caption "2014 Norco Aurum." You will note that none of these photos are the same as the photos in my sale advertisement:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14788530/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14788534/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14788537/

If you compare the photos in Hodge's Pinkbike account to the photos in my original advertisement, you will see that it is the same bike: same coil spring shock, same red grips, same Stan's wheels, same Maxxis tires, same Saint cranks, same Fox fork, same Race Face seatpost. Hodge even took a closeup of the scuff on part of the bike, which is nearly the same photo I took in my original advertisement:
My photo, from my advertisement, showing that scuff:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14651578/

Hodge's photo, from his Pinkbike account, showing the same exact scuff:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14788534/

Please note: if any of the photos on Hodge's Pinkbike account vanish (i.e. if he deletes them before Paypal can view them), I have saved screenshots of each, to prove that he posted them on Pinkbike.

Based on this evidence, I believe Hodge has defrauded me and lied to Paypal about not receiving the bike. It is clear that Hodge actually did receive my bike, and has stolen $1,200.00 from me.

Reviving this one - I almost sold a wheelset to this user. He is now under the username "Digdeeper18". A quick google search found a post on Teton Gravity forums about the above situation, so I quickly refunded his money in Paypal and notified him that I will not be following through with the sale.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 8:04 Quote
Just wanted to give some people a heads up if anyone comes across the person/username

"jordanmtb24"

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2336970/

His account was created only a couple days ago. He's selling a 2016 S-works Venge Vias frameset for $1400. I asked how much he was willing to sell it for with the dura-ace 9100 groupset and he said $2000. Just seems way too good to be true. This model usually sells for around $7000-$8000 used with wheels. I understand his doesn't come with wheels, but $2000 seems insanely low considering the frame retails for $5000 and the dura-ace groupset for $2000. Upon asking about his early join date, he mentioned to me that he had a previous pinkbike account for 7 years that only recently got banned for selling an item way undervalued. According to him, the moderators won't unban him? I'm not sure that's even a possible reason to ban someone. We texted and surprisingly he sent a photo of the serial number for the bike, but wouldn't show the entire serial number. I mentioned if he can tell me the pinkbike account that was banned, but he doesn't remember it because it was years ago. Previous day he mentioned he was only banned a couple days ago. Story doesn't check out what so ever. Watch out everyone...

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:55 Quote
Hey fellas!

Watch out for a user by the name of "Chingbike".... He purchased a Marin carbon frame from me and asked me to throwing in an axle i had laying around. No big deal right? I threw it into the box and sent it off. My add clearly stated that it was a frame ONLY with nothing else. He was an instant pain. I sent him the tracking info via UPS so he could track it.. I was supposed to be delivered on feb 14th and for some reason it said they tried to deliver the package and no one was home. So no big deal he contacted me and said that he was home all day and didn't get it. He started to get a little irritated and i told him its being held to be delivered the next day. Once again he hit me up and decided to be a pain instead of just looking at the tracking info himself (which is normal when you sell things to people). Then a few hours later he said he got it. After another hour i think he hit me up stating that the axle didn't have a nut. I told him that i only had just the axle and i threw it in for him as a favor and i didnt have a nut for it because the nut is supplied with the hanger that was not being sold in the add. He stated that i was a scammer and gave me an ultimatum. To give him $30 for a new axle or he will send the frame back. He then hit up paypal and said i scammed him and took out a claim on me. Paypal withdrew the money out of my account. I gave him my phone number stating to call me but he never did. Mind you when you get a new derailleur hanger from marin it comes with a nut....... which he needed anyways lol. Long story short this guy was really entitled and a pain in the ass. You guys should see the messages back and fourth.... Bunch off bullshit for not a lot of money.... I know people have had way worse experiences but calling paypal 15 times and dealing with this has wasted a lot of my time. Should have put the frame up on my garage wall lol. thanks guys!

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
Schuler881 wrote:
Hey fellas!

Watch out for a user by the name of "Chingbike".... He purchased a Marin carbon frame from me and asked me to throwing in an axle i had laying around. No big deal right? I threw it into the box and sent it off. My add clearly stated that it was a frame ONLY with nothing else. He was an instant pain. I sent him the tracking info via UPS so he could track it.. I was supposed to be delivered on feb 14th and for some reason it said they tried to deliver the package and no one was home. So no big deal he contacted me and said that he was home all day and didn't get it. He started to get a little irritated and i told him its being held to be delivered the next day. Once again he hit me up and decided to be a pain instead of just looking at the tracking info himself (which is normal when you sell things to people). Then a few hours later he said he got it. After another hour i think he hit me up stating that the axle didn't have a nut. I told him that i only had just the axle and i threw it in for him as a favor and i didnt have a nut for it because the nut is supplied with the hanger that was not being sold in the add. He stated that i was a scammer and gave me an ultimatum. To give him $30 for a new axle or he will send the frame back. He then hit up paypal and said i scammed him and took out a claim on me. Paypal withdrew the money out of my account. I gave him my phone number stating to call me but he never did. Mind you when you get a new derailleur hanger from marin it comes with a nut....... which he needed anyways lol. Long story short this guy was really entitled and a pain in the ass. You guys should see the messages back and fourth.... Bunch off bullshit for not a lot of money.... I know people have had way worse experiences but calling paypal 15 times and dealing with this has wasted a lot of my time. Should have put the frame up on my garage wall lol. thanks guys!

You called paypal? Did they sort it out?

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 22:22 Quote
yes paypal finally got it sorted out for me.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 22:34 Quote
Schuler881 wrote:
yes paypal finally got it sorted out for me.

Chalk one up for the good guys...Big Grin

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 1:45 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Jline wrote:
Not sure what this guy's username is, but his phone number is 412-489-4227. I made the mistake of including my phone number in the ad so all communication was done via text. Here's his latest text about buying my bike, he even included a sad picture supposedly of himself holding a little girl in the hospital, nice touch:

"I am so sorry that i will be having a little change in my schedule, my Daughter had an emergency and was rushed to intensive care unit , My initial plan was for me to make the payment in person with cash but now that we have to leave the house it won't be possible that way but I already quickly arranged with my usual local shipper who will be picking it up After you have been paid and he will have it kept safe since i won't be available at home, myself and my wife we will have to keep an eye on Shelby for now My little girl needs us most this time, i will be making the purchase but my mode of payment will be a Cashier's bank check which i will call my bank to mail through USPS or UPS Two days delivery,it will be mailed out Tomorrow morning . So when you cash the check, I will call you to arrange shipment and I believe everything should go smoothly. I will need to have a name the check is payable to, an address to give to the courier (mailing address),also your phone number s!
o i can give you a call when i send out the payment and the agreed price. I will plead that you remove the ad online so i will be rest assured that you won't be selling it to another buyer. I won't mind adding an extra 30$ so you can keep it for me Thanks."

Geez, these clowns come up with the Stupidest stuff, and expect people to fall for the sob story..

Can anyone imagine your wife’s face when your daughter is in intensive care and your like wow this is gunna be pricy but sorry honey I already told this guy I’d buy his bike so I have to no matter how big the hassle

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 18:40 Quote
anyone know what's up with DH0012? I sent him a payment via paypal a month ago for a Giant Glory frame... communication has been spotty... has said he'll send it a few times, hasn't... has said that he has been dealing with health issues... haven't heard anything back since mid-last week or so... thinking about calling the phone number provided on the pinkbike post. I haven't seen any complaints about him at all and he has sold a bunch of stuff, so I'm really hoping it's not a scam but I'm also hoping he's alright.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 19:05 Quote
luked5 wrote:
anyone know what's up with DH0012? I sent him a payment via paypal a month ago for a Giant Glory frame... communication has been spotty... has said he'll send it a few times, hasn't... has said that he has been dealing with health issues... haven't heard anything back since mid-last week or so... thinking about calling the phone number provided on the pinkbike post. I haven't seen any complaints about him at all and he has sold a bunch of stuff, so I'm really hoping it's not a scam but I'm also hoping he's alright.
most couriers now will pick up from your house so shouldn't be a problem. I would maybe start a claim in a few days on PayPal as it has been a long time.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 19:32 Quote
shiver-dc wrote:
luked5 wrote:
most couriers now will pick up from your house so shouldn't be a problem. I would maybe start a claim in a few days on PayPal as it has been a long time.

That’s what i’m thinking. I told him this Saturday I would set up a claim if I didn’t hear from him

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 at 19:27 Quote
Is there anything to worry about shipping to an APO address?

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018743
Mobile Version of Website