Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post*

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post*
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:03 Quote
almostwise wrote:
jjloveday wrote:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Piers44/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2325089/

Piers44 scemmed me, I paid for the Mavic crossmax wheels via paypal which he did not send and now is not opening private messages.

Can you PM me with details (screen cap of convo etc). Have you launched a dispute with paypal yet?

Yes i can send over the convo via PM. Yes I left it over a week so he had time to respond but then opened a dispute with paypal. over 2 weeks passed since I paid still no response via pinkbike or paypal

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
seller " c5tacc " has stolen property listed for sale. Some property matches from missing bikes in Vancouver BC Canada. Please investigate or recommend next step for reporting.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/c5tacc

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 11:26 Quote
SeymourDH wrote:
seller " c5tacc " has stolen property listed for sale. Some property matches from missing bikes in Vancouver BC Canada. Please investigate or recommend next step for reporting.

Can you send me some evidence and I'll look into it. Have you reported it to the police?

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 14:57 Quote
almostwise wrote:
SeymourDH wrote:

Can you send me some evidence and I'll look into it. Have you reported it to the police?

The StumpJumper Evo ad does look like the one posted by Vanduro in the stolen bikes forum minus the parts that are in Vanduro's photos. It's a carbon frame too and the ad has no mention of Carbon.
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=138896&pagenum=21

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 10:25 Quote
I dont see how you guys are connecting the imaginary dots here. Aside from it being the same model of frame, there are no similarities here that would scream stolen merch.

Two brand new accounts call out a guy who has been a member for 6 years with a long standing buy/sell history for being a scam? I call shenanigans.

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 21:02 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
I dont see how you guys are connecting the imaginary dots here. Aside from it being the same model of frame, there are no similarities here that would scream stolen merch.

Two brand new accounts call out a guy who has been a member for 6 years with a long standing buy/sell history for being a scam? I call shenanigans.

Agreed...personally, I only use PayPal but people do have the right to ask for payment in any form they wish, it's up to the buyer to use their discretion. I would recommend people only pay using PayPal goods and services to protect themselves, but if you come across someone with long standing buy/sell history on PB and they only take e-transfer, and you're not comfortable with that, move on...

As for the mod asking the seller to not use buy/sell if he's not willing to use PayPal, I think that's a bit overboard, many legitimate transactions take place with e-transfer or other methods, it's a risk and I don't recommend it, but it doesn't automatically make someone a scammer.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 5:25 Quote
Well I've just had strangest 'failed sale'. Had something for sale for a little while that I wasn't using and wasn't desperate to shift quickly so probably over priced it slighty. Had the usual joker half price offers at the start and then nothing.

Out of the blue a chap asks if I still have and where I'm based. I reply with approximate location.

We agree to meet up during an afternoon, I suggest I take the bike to my work which is close to a main arterial road junction to make meeting up easy. I'm not paranoid but careful so not in the habit of giving out my home address to a complete stranger. Sure a buyer might take offence to meeting elsewhere, generally though I find people understand and even would do the same and I certainly wouldn't be offended. Had plenty of, with hindsight, dodgy motorway bridge rendezvous purchases over the years.

So he also offers to pay postage. Now for parts yeah maybe it's worth the risk but a complete bike A) posting it is a royal pain if you don't work in a bike shop with access to boxes and B) I've known too many people have buyer disputes over trivial things like scratches where sellers have been completely stitched up, had money taken by Paypal and never received the goods back, no siree no postage on this value item. We go back to discussing meeting via text, time and venue (passively) agreed, by which I mean, he asked, I replied but heard nothing to confirm.

Maybe alarm bells should have rung quietly, but it always took ages for him to reply to texts and messages on here. Throughout the process he did try phoning me twice which the first I missed due to being at work and second getting a baby to sleep, but I called back twice and left a voicemail, but had no reply.

So I'm sat there at the passively agreed meeting point (at the time he stipulated) which was a public shopping venue so people around etc, 20 minutes late I text and all but instantly get a reply saying stuck in traffic still an hour and a half away, how about PP deposit. Now that REALLY set the alarm bells off but I'm fair and texted back saying that since the journey (based on his profile location) was around 3 hours, just let me know when he arrived.

And that was it, nothing at all from him since in any shape or form.

So I have concluded that it was either an elaborate ploy to feign being late to get me to reveal where I live for some nefarious purposes or it's someone that gets off on messing people around and never left at all or had any intention of doing so. I really can't decide, but if it was someone genuine I just can't see how it was.

The things that stand out to me are these:

1. He never asked about price, no bike sale and most part sales I have ever conducted usually have some haggling in and if a complete bike usualy price gets set first, long before any collectino arrangements are made. I wouldn't embark on a 6 hour round trip without fully agreeing a price in concrete first.
2. He never asked about details of the bike or anything. I like to think I remember every tiny detail when selling a bike but never do and there's ALWAYS some detial someone else would ask. But nothing.

The only thing that makes me want to give the benefit of the doubt is their profile on here. It's a farly long standing account, just very low activity with a few historical sales. The phone number in one of the 7 year old sales matched the one I was texting so although not exactly concrete, I figured it was likely to be OK but they way it was handled just screams some sort of scam or possible targetting.

One might raise the point abotu not meeting me at home maybe I'm the scammer, tough call though based on a 17 year account and plenty of seller history.

Obviously I haven't posted any details but if the site mods want to get in touch feel free.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 19:18 Quote
veero wrote:
Well I've just had strangest 'failed sale'. Had something for sale for a little while that I wasn't using and wasn't desperate to shift quickly so probably over priced it slighty. Had the usual joker half price offers at the start and then nothing.

Out of the blue a chap asks if I still have and where I'm based. I reply with approximate location.

We agree to meet up during an afternoon, I suggest I take the bike to my work which is close to a main arterial road junction to make meeting up easy. I'm not paranoid but careful so not in the habit of giving out my home address to a complete stranger. Sure a buyer might take offence to meeting elsewhere, generally though I find people understand and even would do the same and I certainly wouldn't be offended. Had plenty of, with hindsight, dodgy motorway bridge rendezvous purchases over the years.

So he also offers to pay postage. Now for parts yeah maybe it's worth the risk but a complete bike A) posting it is a royal pain if you don't work in a bike shop with access to boxes and B) I've known too many people have buyer disputes over trivial things like scratches where sellers have been completely stitched up, had money taken by Paypal and never received the goods back, no siree no postage on this value item. We go back to discussing meeting via text, time and venue (passively) agreed, by which I mean, he asked, I replied but heard nothing to confirm.

Maybe alarm bells should have rung quietly, but it always took ages for him to reply to texts and messages on here. Throughout the process he did try phoning me twice which the first I missed due to being at work and second getting a baby to sleep, but I called back twice and left a voicemail, but had no reply.

So I'm sat there at the passively agreed meeting point (at the time he stipulated) which was a public shopping venue so people around etc, 20 minutes late I text and all but instantly get a reply saying stuck in traffic still an hour and a half away, how about PP deposit. Now that REALLY set the alarm bells off but I'm fair and texted back saying that since the journey (based on his profile location) was around 3 hours, just let me know when he arrived.

And that was it, nothing at all from him since in any shape or form.

So I have concluded that it was either an elaborate ploy to feign being late to get me to reveal where I live for some nefarious purposes or it's someone that gets off on messing people around and never left at all or had any intention of doing so. I really can't decide, but if it was someone genuine I just can't see how it was.

The things that stand out to me are these:

1. He never asked about price, no bike sale and most part sales I have ever conducted usually have some haggling in and if a complete bike usualy price gets set first, long before any collectino arrangements are made. I wouldn't embark on a 6 hour round trip without fully agreeing a price in concrete first.
2. He never asked about details of the bike or anything. I like to think I remember every tiny detail when selling a bike but never do and there's ALWAYS some detial someone else would ask. But nothing.

The only thing that makes me want to give the benefit of the doubt is their profile on here. It's a farly long standing account, just very low activity with a few historical sales. The phone number in one of the 7 year old sales matched the one I was texting so although not exactly concrete, I figured it was likely to be OK but they way it was handled just screams some sort of scam or possible targetting.

One might raise the point abotu not meeting me at home maybe I'm the scammer, tough call though based on a 17 year account and plenty of seller history.

Obviously I haven't posted any details but if the site mods want to get in touch feel free.
Sounds like a time waster who tried to get vital info but failed.

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 17:12 Quote
SCAMMER ALERT!! I purchased a Fat Bike from a person on here a few months ago. His name is Jesse Pomerantz. He claimed the bike was in 100% ridable condition and also said he just had the forks serviced and the the bike tuned up. All I had to do is put pedals on it. I got the bike in Feb 2018 and due to some really bad weather I didn't start riding it till May. It is now July 1 and I have about $ 1000.00 into replacing all the stuff that was bad on this bike. The Forks were shot and the parts and labor would have been more than a new pair of forks so I replaced them. The bottom bracket was bad the spindle was to short for the bike and this caused the left crank arm to strip out so I had to get that stuff replaced. The rear derailier hanger was bent and the o rings in both hubs were broke. Just wanted to show this so this guy cant do this to anybody else. I know there is a lot of honest people on here but this guy is not one of them.

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 17:16 Quote
powerlifter wrote:
SCAMMER ALERT!! I purchased a Fat Bike from a person on here a few months ago. His name is Jesse Pomerantz. He claimed the bike was in 100% ridable condition and also said he just had the forks serviced and the the bike tuned up. All I had to do is put pedals on it. I got the bike in Feb 2018 and due to some really bad weather I didn't start riding it till May. It is now July 1 and I have about $ 1000.00 into replacing all the stuff that was bad on this bike. The Forks were shot and the parts and labor would have been more than a new pair of forks so I replaced them. The bottom bracket was bad the spindle was to short for the bike and this caused the left crank arm to strip out so I had to get that stuff replaced. The rear derailier hanger was bent and the o rings in both hubs were broke. Just wanted to show this so this guy cant do this to anybody else. I know there is a lot of honest people on here but this guy is not one of them.

Did you pay with paypal.? If so, you could have filed a claim. Sucks that people pull this crap when selling things.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 0:35 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
powerlifter wrote:

Did you pay with paypal.? If so, you could have filed a claim. Sucks that people pull this crap when selling things.
Few mouths ago he purchased the item. No way now to file a claim.
Buyer's protection works only for 40 days after the purchase.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 0:51 Quote
msniki wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
powerlifter wrote:

Few mouths ago he purchased the item. No way now to file a claim.
Buyer's protection works only for 40 days after the purchase.

It was 6 months to file a claim . unless that’s changed he has time

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 0:51 Quote
That's why I said..you Could have filed a claim..A good point, non the less.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=149619

Check out ssmtbrd he is asking for money orders.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
johannthomas wrote:
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=149619

Check out ssmtbrd he is asking for money orders.

No where does the rules state a seller can't asked for a Money Order as a form of payment. If you actually read the ad they have listed multiple forms of payment.

Not sure why you have posted this user in the scam forum?

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019062
Mobile Version of Website