Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post*

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post*
Author Message
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Is there a way to search for a users name and see if his or her name has appeared in a scam forum??

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
fallas wrote:
Is there a way to search for a users name and see if his or her name has appeared in a scam forum??

Yes search there user name at the top of the fourm in desktop mode

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 20:48 Quote
few days here on pinkbike and i plan on purchasing a dh bike was just going to the threads from the beginning and i noticed the older dudes like gabor were missing

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Hey, so this isn't TOTALLY a scam, or as far as I can tell it isn't yet. But the user definitely played with PayPal's buyer protection laws and from prior experiences and what I've heard, I'm not even going to bother disputing it because I hear the buyer always wins - despite I put a disclaimer for "item is sold as is" and "all sales are final" in my ad.

Really my only loss is PayPal taking the fees, and the original shipping cost (so far, I have yet to receive the returned helmet).

Anyways, here is the user: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/edsleadsleds/

And here is my ad: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2638121/

Buyer received the helmet, and claimed that it was in worse condition than described, and that the trim was coming off and that it was a hazard in using the helmet due to the trim coming off? I'm not sure if I even noticed that Confused Confused

But please look at my ad - and if anyone is familiar with the Palmer gold TLD D3, it's from like 2012, it's about to be 2020. I specifically said it's an older helmet that has definitely been used and has some scuff marks from dropping it a bunch - which I tried to capture in pictures. I also very clearly said "all sales are final and the item is sold 'as is'". And it was a TLD D3 posted for $70 - so the price definitely reflects the condition.

Anyways, the 19 year old claimed a bunch of garbage, and that I "sent him a grody mess" (his words not mine). Despite I literally used the helmet a week prior at Whistler, didn't crash, washed the liner and put it up for sale. I mean it was a used helmet after all...

So PayPal has already refunded him the money, so I currently have a negative balance on my account. I don't plan on disputing it because the price is so small and I can just resell the helmet easily. I am concerned that he may have messed with the helmet, or further marked it up or used it or something. I have yet to receive the returned helmet and am a little bit scared just due to the immaturity he's shown in his communication with me thus far.

So at the end of the day, no this isn't a scam. But it's been a massive damper on my vacation visiting my brother down in California, it's added a whole lot of stress that I really don't need (PayPal claims/disputes are terribly confusing), it's tainted my PayPal account (I currently bought a fork and the sent money is pending - PayPal claims all my purchases/sales will be on hold for a few days now instead of instantly transferring money) and I've lost about $20 to shipping and PayPal fees (not the end of the world but that's equivalent to throwing $20 on the street).

AND I still haven't received my helmet back. So for all I know he could've seriously messed with the helmet and maybe I can't even sell it anymore, because PayPal has already taken money from me and refunded him, and all he has to do is a provide a tracking ID, for all I know he doesn't even send the helmet and just an empty box - so it could totally be a scam. I will update or post again once I receive the package, PayPal did notify me he did upload a tracking ID.

If anyone has any advice, questions, or concerns, please DM me. Glad to help or listen to some advice, especially if my returned helmet shows up totally junked or doesn't show up at all.

And to the mods: I don't know what you'll do to the account, I assume if it's a scam he should definitely be banned or suspended. But at the bare minimum, at least the word is out there and at all costs, avoid transactions with this kid because it may be all fun and games for him, but I'm supposed to be on vacation visiting my brother and riding bikes but I've been slamming my head everyday trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks,
Austin

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
Unfortunately there are jerks out there that play the "Buyers" refund game. Seems to happen a lot. IIRC, there was a member here not all that long ago, that sold a enduro bike, he Clearly stated the cond..ect. yet the buyer claimed there was some small damage, and requested a refund, or a partial..Anyway, he got his $$$ back, and never sent the bike back.

On the other side of the coin..I bought a set of wheels off a guy here for my hardtail..which are non boost. His ad did not state the wheels were boost spacing. I could have easily got a refund, but I opted to sell the wheels locally, and yes I told him about the issue. Anyway, there are dishonest and honest people out there, the trick is to find the good folks.

Hope you at least get your lid back, keep us posted if you would.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/dirtmbikes/buysell/sold/ yikes

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
SCLIZARD wrote:
User name: iibbmm
Member since Apr 29, 2012
Name: Daniel Hawley
Ladera Ranch , California
Phone Number: 760-969-0172

Ebay username: cyclistengineer

Appears to be another scammer. I sent money for the lefty fork he had advertised on here back on August 12 via paypal and now the guy refuses to respond to messages. After reviewing his ebay feedback appears he has done this multiple times in the past with other people.

Link to listing:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2598480/

Well looks like he reposted his ad : https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2598480/

What's up with this site? Scammers can just keep scamming others? I have "reported" this person through the link(s) and appears nothing has happened. ... buyer beware

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Did you receive a refund for the fork?

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
Username: Benjschrock
Link: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Benjschrock/

I bought a 2017 Rocky Mountain Slayer from him. Nice guy, decent bike.
There was a small impact mark on the downtube, covered by a downtube protector. I asked him about it, he said it was x-rayed by a bike shop and there was no damage to the carbon. I bought the bike and began suspecting that might not be the case. After removing the downtube protector and sanding down the paint, there was a significant crack through the carbon, and the frame needed to be repaired. I got a good deal and I am handy so I am not that upset, but if someone else were not as thorough, they could have been hurt.

Not here to complain, just letting you know Benjschrock seems to be flipping bikes and not being entirely truthful about them so maybe double check some things if you're going to buy a bike from him. He also claimed it was his brothers bike and that's why he didn't know much about it but its all just made up stories. Hope he is more truthful in the future! Nice guy, and all used bike sales come with some uncertainty so always take that into account.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
Ausatz wrote:
Username: Benjschrock
Link: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Benjschrock/

I bought a 2017 Rocky Mountain Slayer from him. Nice guy, decent bike.
There was a small impact mark on the downtube, covered by a downtube protector. I asked him about it, he said it was x-rayed by a bike shop and there was no damage to the carbon. I bought the bike and began suspecting that might not be the case. After removing the downtube protector and sanding down the paint, there was a significant crack through the carbon, and the frame needed to be repaired. I got a good deal and I am handy so I am not that upset, but if someone else were not as thorough, they could have been hurt.

Not here to complain, just letting you know Benjschrock seems to be flipping bikes and not being entirely truthful about them so maybe double check some things if you're going to buy a bike from him. He also claimed it was his brothers bike and that's why he didn't know much about it but its all just made up stories. Hope he is more truthful in the future! Nice guy, and all used bike sales come with some uncertainty so always take that into account.

Wondering when that would come up... wasn't the insanely low price a warning flag? Interesting to know there was actually a bike, I suppose the other question is if it was his to begin with...

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
SCLIZARD wrote:
SCLIZARD wrote:
User name: iibbmm
Member since Apr 29, 2012
Name: Daniel Hawley
Ladera Ranch , California
Phone Number: 760-969-0172

Ebay username: cyclistengineer

Appears to be another scammer. I sent money for the lefty fork he had advertised on here back on August 12 via paypal and now the guy refuses to respond to messages. After reviewing his ebay feedback appears he has done this multiple times in the past with other people.

Link to listing:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2598480/

Well looks like he reposted his ad : https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2598480/

What's up with this site? Scammers can just keep scamming others? I have "reported" this person through the link(s) and appears nothing has happened. ... buyer beware

It's buyer beware - PinkBike couldn't care less. There is no trader rating system and scammers are not banned. It's pretty pathetic that a site this established refuses to make these basic adjustments. There is no other site with a BST forum that I'm a member of that operates this way. At those sites scammers are banned instantly, if they have multiple accounts their ISPs get banned, and they implement their own trader rating system or mandatory use of Heatware.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
Let's all chill on flaming the PB staff huh? I recently just posted about potentially being scammed and screwed over by an immature kid buying my helmet, but let's not forget it's our privilege to use this website.

Or maybe everyone flaming PB is a new user who forgot the days when it was just some bros from the BC area who were way ahead of their times in deciding to create Pinkbike (hint: it hasn't really changed besides the user base and popularity).

I've got 50 sales without having to pay a single dollar to use Pinkbike, I've bought several things for AWESOME deals, I've also networked, can keep up to date with tons of news, hop on the forums for bike help, and kill time at work by browsing pictures/videos of what I enjoy.

Yes there's plenty of improvements that could be made, but let's not forgot it was a bunch of bike enthusiasts who started PB, if they were google level programmers, they'd be making 6 figures at Google.

So yes, let's continue to offer suggestions, continue to report scammers/childish, inconsiderate, activity - but let's pay a little more respect to PB for the privilege we all have by getting to use this awesome site for free. To say they "refuse" to make simple adjustments simply isn't true.

Now where you say it's buyer (i'm also going to add seller) beware, that's definitely true and should really be emphasized. Until, and hopefully, things do change, that's just the way it is and let's continue to watch each other's backs and do our due diligence.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
Let's all chill on flaming the PB staff huh? I recently just posted about potentially being scammed and screwed over by an immature kid buying my helmet, but let's not forget it's our privilege to use this website.

Or maybe everyone flaming PB is a new user who forgot the days when it was just some bros from the BC area who were way ahead of their times in deciding to create Pinkbike (hint: it hasn't really changed besides the user base and popularity).

I've got 50 sales without having to pay a single dollar to use Pinkbike, I've bought several things for AWESOME deals, I've also networked, can keep up to date with tons of news, hop on the forums for bike help, and kill time at work by browsing pictures/videos of what I enjoy.

Yes there's plenty of improvements that could be made, but let's not forgot it was a bunch of bike enthusiasts who started PB, if they were google level programmers, they'd be making 6 figures at Google.

So yes, let's continue to offer suggestions, continue to report scammers/childish, inconsiderate, activity - but let's pay a little more respect to PB for the privilege we all have by getting to use this awesome site for free. To say they "refuse" to make simple adjustments simply isn't true.

Now where you say it's buyer (i'm also going to add seller) beware, that's definitely true and should really be emphasized. Until, and hopefully, things do change, that's just the way it is and let's continue to watch each other's backs and do our due diligence.

This

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
Let's all chill on flaming the PB staff huh? I recently just posted about potentially being scammed and screwed over by an immature kid buying my helmet, but let's not forget it's our privilege to use this website.

Or maybe everyone flaming PB is a new user who forgot the days when it was just some bros from the BC area who were way ahead of their times in deciding to create Pinkbike (hint: it hasn't really changed besides the user base and popularity).

I've got 50 sales without having to pay a single dollar to use Pinkbike, I've bought several things for AWESOME deals, I've also networked, can keep up to date with tons of news, hop on the forums for bike help, and kill time at work by browsing pictures/videos of what I enjoy.

Yes there's plenty of improvements that could be made, but let's not forgot it was a bunch of bike enthusiasts who started PB, if they were google level programmers, they'd be making 6 figures at Google.

So yes, let's continue to offer suggestions, continue to report scammers/childish, inconsiderate, activity - but let's pay a little more respect to PB for the privilege we all have by getting to use this awesome site for free. To say they "refuse" to make simple adjustments simply isn't true.

Now where you say it's buyer (i'm also going to add seller) beware, that's definitely true and should really be emphasized. Until, and hopefully, things do change, that's just the way it is and let's continue to watch each other's backs and do our due diligence.

and apple started out of some guys gurage. Shouldn't be an excuse now that they make money off people using the site w/ brand deals and ad rev...

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
VNIMAL wrote:
Freerideguy14 wrote:
Let's all chill on flaming the PB staff huh? I recently just posted about potentially being scammed and screwed over by an immature kid buying my helmet, but let's not forget it's our privilege to use this website.

Or maybe everyone flaming PB is a new user who forgot the days when it was just some bros from the BC area who were way ahead of their times in deciding to create Pinkbike (hint: it hasn't really changed besides the user base and popularity).

I've got 50 sales without having to pay a single dollar to use Pinkbike, I've bought several things for AWESOME deals, I've also networked, can keep up to date with tons of news, hop on the forums for bike help, and kill time at work by browsing pictures/videos of what I enjoy.

Yes there's plenty of improvements that could be made, but let's not forgot it was a bunch of bike enthusiasts who started PB, if they were google level programmers, they'd be making 6 figures at Google.

So yes, let's continue to offer suggestions, continue to report scammers/childish, inconsiderate, activity - but let's pay a little more respect to PB for the privilege we all have by getting to use this awesome site for free. To say they "refuse" to make simple adjustments simply isn't true.

Now where you say it's buyer (i'm also going to add seller) beware, that's definitely true and should really be emphasized. Until, and hopefully, things do change, that's just the way it is and let's continue to watch each other's backs and do our due diligence.

and apple started out of some guys gurage. Shouldn't be an excuse now that they make money off people using the site w/ brand deals and ad rev...

I still prefer it the way it is, if you follow the guides look at the sellers history and buy smart there shouldn’t be an issue


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011109
Mobile Version of Website