Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly
Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
I am gonna DM u/isaacschmidt details about a possible scammer selling a fork here on PB. I have bona fides with chat logs and the mods can help me decide if more details should be posted publicly to help keep PB secure. For the record, I made a recent high dollar purchase from a well established bike shop advertising on the classifieds. This should help establish my legitimacy as a good faith buyer (can provide confirmation).

The seller in question selling the fork was using high-pressure time-sensitive tactics today (4-6-21) to coax me into sending him money for the fork. When I originally inquired about the fork, I proposed using Paypal Goods and his response, " Whaddya mean paypal goods how about e- transfer and ill send it u pay shipping...!"

Red Flag #1 (but maybe he's inexperienced?)

I link him to PB's best practices page to explain Paypal Goods. A few days go by, no comms with each other. Fast forward to today (a few hours ago). I probe again and see if the fork is still for sale and this is where it gets interesting:

He claimed that the fork was packed and ready to ship and he was now driving to the UPS store and that this exchange had to be done "absolutely right now, then and there, otherwise no deal." I simply asked to remove the pressure for time even for less than a day so as to work out finer details such as general things like Paypal addresses and shipping details for cross-border (Canada to USA).

The time-sensitive sudden nature of his behavior all raised some serious flags for me though I believed perhaps a small chance he was just a young inexperienced dude lacking common sense who required a bit of a gentle reality check (that you never impose an arbitrary rapid deadline on people to give you money). For smart people that. Never. Works.

For his side of the story, he was driving to the UPS store and he needed the transfer done b/c he would be there in 20 minutes with the fork. He "arrived" and claimed everyone at the store was waiting on me to get this done so the fork could be shipped. He took a photo of the UPS doc half-filled with his information and my zip code. "Send the money. Send the Money." was the vibe here. Clearly, there's just not enough validity to this situation to go forward with any type of deal.

Obviously, I opted out. He mocked me. I wished him well and went on my way (money secured).

I don't know if dude was immature and inexperienced or just a plain scammer. Best to assume the latter if those are the two choices. He wasn't willing to pull back and work out even general details. All I requested was to remove the time pressure and to perhaps consider sending me bona fides like real-time photos of the fork (with his and my username or something). He only sent a photo of a taped up box that said, "Used fork." Guy was like, "What's left to discuss? Send the money." lol.

I believe if he was a scammer (sounds like he was) then his high-pressure tactics were in play to get a less-experienced naive buyer to send the funds and perhaps overlook sending the money via Paypal Goods whilst omitting important details from the transaction about the item. I believe his next play if indeed funds were sent via Paypal Goods, was to (at most) send out a box of rocks or some fubar fork not fitting of the description of the ad. For all I knew, he could've sent out an actual used fork as in the kind you eat with!

Of course, I most certainly would've have had him send me a Paypal Goods invoice with details of the fork with a description and link to the PinkBike ad so Paypal could reference it should something go wrong. I also screenshot and save every ad I purchase (PrTScr button is your best friend).

As a buyer, you can't risk overlooking any detail especially obvious red flags. Always have a life-line out and be shrouded in some anonymity so opting-out of a deal at any point is that much easier if the other party gets offended. Always have an 'eject' button and don't be afraid to push it if your instinct is flaring up that something is not on the up & up. Document everything. Most importantly, do not fall for time-sensitive high-pressure tactics! A good seller works with their buyers needs and will never put them under the duress of a "loaded gun" deal akin to a shake down.

When trading remember, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast."

Be safe!

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 18:52 Quote
dotalien wrote:
I am gonna DM u/isaacschmidt details about a possible scammer selling a fork here on PB. I have bona fides with chat logs and the mods can help me decide if more details should be posted publicly to help keep PB secure. For the record, I made a recent high dollar purchase from a well established bike shop advertising on the classifieds. This should help establish my legitimacy as a good faith buyer (can provide confirmation).

The seller in question selling the fork was using high-pressure time-sensitive tactics today (4-6-21) to coax me into sending him money for the fork. When I originally inquired about the fork, I proposed using Paypal Goods and his response, " Whaddya mean paypal goods how about e- transfer and ill send it u pay shipping...!"

I link him to PB's best practices page to explain Paypal Goods. A few days go by, no comms with each other. Fast forward to today (a few hours ago). I probe again and see if the fork is still for sale and this is where it gets interesting:

He claimed that the fork was packed and ready to ship and he was now driving to the UPS store and that this exchange had to be done "absolutely right now, then and there, otherwise no deal." I simply asked to remove the pressure for time even for less than a day so as to work out finer details such as general things like Paypal addresses and shipping details for cross-border (Canada to USA).

The time-sensitive sudden nature of his behavior all raised some serious flags for me though I believed perhaps a small chance he was just a young inexperienced dude lacking common sense who required a bit of a gentle reality check (that you never impose an arbitrary rapid deadline on people to give you money). For smart people that. Never. Works.

For his side of the story, he was driving to the UPS store and he needed the transfer done b/c he would be there in 20 minutes with the fork. He "arrived" and claimed everyone at the store was waiting on me to get this done so the fork could be shipped. He took a photo of the UPS doc half-filled with his information and my zip code. "Send the money. Send the Money." was the vibe here. Clearly, there's just not enough validity to this situation to go forward with any type of deal.

Obviously, I opted out. He mocked me. I wished him well and went on my way (money secured).

I don't know if dude was immature and inexperienced or just a plain scammer. Best to assume the latter if those are the two choices. He wasn't willing to pull back and work out even general details. All I requested was to remove the time pressure and to perhaps consider sending me bona fides like real-time photos of the fork (with his and my username or something). He only sent a photo of a taped up box that said, "Used fork." Guy was like, "What's left to discuss? Send the money." lol.

I believe if he was a scammer (sounds like he was) then his high-pressure tactics were in play to get a less-experienced naive buyer to send the funds and perhaps overlook sending the money via Paypal Goods whilst omitting important details from the transaction about the item. I believe his next play if indeed funds were sent via Paypal Goods, was to (at most) send out a box of rocks or some fubar fork not fitting of the description of the ad. For all I knew, he could've sent out an actual used fork as in the kind you eat with!

Of course, I most certainly would've have had him send me a Paypal Goods invoice with details of the fork with a description and link to the PinkBike ad so Paypal could reference it should something go wrong. I also screenshot and save every ad I purchase (PrTScr button is your best friend).

As a buyer, you can't risk overlooking any detail especially obvious red flags. Always have a life-line out and be shrouded in some anonymity so opting-out of a deal at any point is that much easier if the other party gets offended. Always have an 'eject' button and don't be afraid to push it if your instinct is flaring up that something is not on the up & up. Document everything. Most importantly, do not fall for time-sensitive high-pressure tactics! A good seller works with their buyers needs and will never put them under the duress of a "loaded gun" deal akin to a shake down.

Be safe!

Scammer or not, stay away, simple. There's many more parts out there available and good experienced sellers willing to make you feel comfortable about the deal.

15+ years building bikes made from new and used parts bought on here and places like eBay and maybe one bad transaction that I can recall. I could just be really lucky but I also take things slow and get as much info about what I'm looking at and at this point I can usually tell within the first or second message if it's worth proceeding.

Advice to any newbies looking to buy or sell is be thorough and keep documentation of everything. Don't Cheap out on little things like shipping insurance. PayPal goods is pretty safe and worth the small fee if you keep adequate documentation of everything.

Lastly, local cash deal is numero uno.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
@dotalien. Good thinking. I would definetly stay away. I don't know which fork you were trying to buy but I buy things from @Sayshell all the time. Really good guy from Canada and I buy at least half of the parts I put on my bikes from him. The fork and bars from my Banshee frame were from him.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 0:53 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
@dotalien. Good thinking. I would definetly stay away. I don't know which fork you were trying to buy but I buy things from @Sayshell all the time. Really good guy from Canada and I buy at least half of the parts I put on my bikes from him. The fork and bars from my Banshee frame were from him.

Thanks for pointing me to @Sayshell - looks like the real deal Smile

Funny, run across his ads all the time but didn't know his positive rep until you mentioned it so big ups to you @rosemarywheel Smile

Mods @isaacschmidt have a sticky for top reputable sellers?

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 1:04 Quote
maninblue wrote:
dotalien wrote:

Be safe!

Scammer or not, stay away, simple. There's many more parts out there available and good experienced sellers willing to make you feel comfortable about the deal.

15+ years building bikes made from new and used parts bought on here and places like eBay and maybe one bad transaction that I can recall. I could just be really lucky but I also take things slow and get as much info about what I'm looking at and at this point I can usually tell within the first or second message if it's worth proceeding.

Advice to any newbies looking to buy or sell is be thorough and keep documentation of everything. Don't Cheap out on little things like shipping insurance. PayPal goods is pretty safe and worth the small fee if you keep adequate documentation of everything.

Lastly, local cash deal is numero uno.

Great advice from an experienced trader!

I'd like to add for buyers is to be patient, persistent and open-minded. You could DM 50 sellers about equipment you want and only 8 will reply in a timely manner and maybe half of them are super motivated to make a deal with you asap. Many seem more casual about selling which is perfectly fine too. Also, it could take weeks to find what you're looking for at the right price point and condition if it's modern tech and a lot longer for older equipment.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 7:01 Quote
cbastianmeraz Will not go pick up a Renthal bar and stem I shipped to him. He keeps making up excuses. What do I do so I won’t be out 30$ shipping and close to two weeks time?

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
As a newbie here just narrowly avoided parting ways with £2000 in a scam.

It was quite elaborate and involved mimicking the www.Bike24.com website (a reputable and trustworthy company from what I can gather) and using email address that looked like they came from that company e.g. sales@bike24.com.

There were a couple of things that raised red flags to me like saying "Our mechanics will adjust the gearing and brakes, tighten every single screw and check height and sideways rotation of the wheels. We will do a test ride before we are going to wrap it for shipment." Which is clearly for the bikes they sell not just supposedly acting as courier/middlemen.

Then I noticed the email address they were using was sales@bike24h.com - note the extra "h" which in most languages could be taken for meaning 24 hour - so makes sense. But if you own this "domain" (bike24h.com) allowing you as many email addresses as you want like sales@bike24h.com james@bike24h.com etc, then your website MUST also be www.bike24h.com. This website doesn't exist (if they were doing the scam properly they would have mirrored the legitimate www.bike24.com website) and behind the fake sales@bike24h.com are the scammers sending back reassuring emails that everything is fine.

SO when people overpromise on the service, the price looks too good to be true, they don't haggle when you make an offer and they refuse to use PayPal good even if you offer to pay any additional charges, then steer clear.

As an aide memoire, if you don't know already, when any large organisation buys and owns their "domain" e.g. www.apple.com, ANYONE can buy other similar looking domains e.g. www.applesales.com, www.myapple.com, www.applesupport.com etc ad infinitum, if no-one else (Apple or others) have thought to buy it themselves.

This also applies to the domain "extension" - the letters after the last "." of the address - this is another scam seen with Bike24 where instead of using www.bike24h.com they used the proper company name and changed just the extension. In this actual scam to www.bike24.global. There are now more than 700 of these extensions available for people to buy as a domain, and few companies (even Apple) buy them all up. So plenty of scam opportunity to mimic any organisation with what looks like plausible web and email addresses.

So in summary, the way to easily spot any scammers (not just for bikes) is look at the email address they use. Then look at what is after the @ symbol. Unless this is a pure form of the company name (no extra letters or words added) AND with a common extension like .com .co.uk etc then 99.99% it's a scam. And a finally google the website domain related to the email you receive (replace xxxx@ with www. to get a website address e.g. www.bike24h.com) - most times will not exist. But always the email address is the DEAD GIVEAWAY. Stay safe.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
I have a frame for sell here on PB and I just got a text saying they will send me a cashiers check and arrange for pick up. Just send me your name and address. Phone number was 773.741.1933 Be aware.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 4:25 Quote
isaacschmidt This appears to be fraudulent post. User is advertising carbon rims when bike actually has aluminum rims. Did some research with Raceface and found out the Arc Offset rims shown on bike do not come in carbon. This represents a pretty large difference in value of bike. User would not reply to questions about rims but replied to other questions.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3029210/

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
mustcomedown wrote:
isaacschmidt This appears to be fraudulent post. User is advertising carbon rims when bike actually has aluminum rims. Did some research with Raceface and found out the Arc Offset rims shown on bike do not come in carbon. This represents a pretty large difference in value of bike. User would not reply to questions about rims but replied to other questions.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3029210/
got it, thanks

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 3:43 Quote
{message temporarily redacted}

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
Hello there,

This is a new account. I have deleted my old one (stab0905) because I was spending too much time on Pinkbike!

I've sold many bikes and parts (I had over a hundred sold items on my old account, lots of shipped items, lots of local deals), and I got pretty good at identifying scammers (obvious) and unreliable buyers.

Alright, here is my problem, all related to the one bike I'm selling at the moment:
I get a LOT (one every few days) of messages, from brand new profiles (EDIT: I should say, from empty profiles, the latest one is from 2016, but empty except for that one bike), or with only one picture of an old, for sale since 2018 item. They almost always match an IG profile name or mtbr profile name, and almost always are local people.

They always send one message "hi there, interested in your bike (sometimes, they add the brand/model), would like to see it ... ",. I answer, and never hear back. The content of the message varies, but it's always the same style and overall content, definitely not computer generated.

I had never gotten so many of these. Is this just a new societal trend of people requesting information/showings without thinking twice, or is there something else behind? I wonder, because the frequency of it, and similarities, are not random

Anyway, I don't see any harm so far, I think it's just unreliable people, and there are more than ever, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 17:00 Quote
xavierp wrote:
Hello there,

This is a new account. I have deleted my old one (stab0905) because I was spending too much time on Pinkbike!

I've sold many bikes and parts (I had over a hundred sold items on my old account, lots of shipped items, lots of local deals), and I got pretty good at identifying scammers (obvious) and unreliable buyers.

Alright, here is my problem, all related to the one bike I'm selling at the moment:
I get a LOT (one every few days) of messages, from brand new profiles (EDIT: I should say, from empty profiles, the latest one is from 2016, but empty except for that one bike), or with only one picture of an old, for sale since 2018 item. They almost always match an IG profile name or mtbr profile name, and almost always are local people.

They always send one message "hi there, interested in your bike (sometimes, they add the brand/model), would like to see it ... ",. I answer, and never hear back. The content of the message varies, but it's always the same style and overall content, definitely not computer generated.

I had never gotten so many of these. Is this just a new societal trend of people requesting information/showings without thinking twice, or is there something else behind? I wonder, because the frequency of it, and similarities, are not random

Anyway, I don't see any harm so far, I think it's just unreliable people, and there are more than ever, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Good that you cross-check profiles. My profile is largely "empty" but can assure you I am a real person and enthusiastic buyer here on PB. Profiles like mine (with a legitimate user behind it) that are empty can exist for many reasons and shouldn't be flagged for scammer without cross-checking with other common signs of fraud . I am mainly a lurker and pretty private so my profile is bare minimum. My money is 100% real though Wink

Look, we are smack in the middle of an era where bots and scammers will start to outnumber real users 3 to 1 and increasing. They're still infantile (not full on AI controlled yet to mimic humans perfectly) but they are prevalent and invasive. I wouldn't doubt one second they've found they're way here on PB and were talking to them blindly in the classifieds.

We need more practical "human checks" and not just captcha walls. Best way is to engage inquiries with very specific 'human-esque' questions about the item that only humans can provide answers and gauge the response from there to start. This may be futile in the long run when AI starts going full on Terminator Matrix Skynet and Androids with a fleshy layer are indistinguishable from the slop that is us
Lol.

Full disclosure: I am an AI bot. Wink

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 2:08 Quote
dotalien wrote:

Good that you cross-check profiles. My profile is largely "empty" but can assure you I am a real person and enthusiastic buyer here on PB. Profiles like mine (with a legitimate user behind it) that are empty can exist for many reasons and shouldn't be flagged for scammer without cross-checking with other common signs of fraud . I am mainly a lurker and pretty private so my profile is bare minimum. My money is 100% real though Wink

Look, we are smack in the middle of an era where bots and scammers will start to outnumber real users 3 to 1 and increasing. They're still infantile (not full on AI controlled yet to mimic humans perfectly) but they are prevalent and invasive. I wouldn't doubt one second they've found they're way here on PB and were talking to them blindly in the classifieds.

We need more practical "human checks" and not just captcha walls. Best way is to engage inquiries with very specific 'human-esque' questions about the item that only humans can provide answers and gauge the response from there to start. This may be futile in the long run when AI starts going full on Terminator Matrix Skynet and Androids with a fleshy layer are indistinguishable from the slop that is us
Lol.

Full disclosure: I am an AI bot. Wink
What the fk is this ? Taking some of the good stuff a ?
First time i see stuff like this on pinkbike, THE AI take over had began !
Big Grin

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006618
Mobile Version of Website