Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact captainbringdown directly

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact captainbringdown directly
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 3:12 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:

Walk away...is an old scam. Check will be a forgery, and you will be out of a bike, with nothing to show for it.

This. It's a common scam and you should avoid at all costs.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
If you ask to be paid by payPal, always have them send it as payment for goods/service. I only send things to people I have bought from before and trust with freinds/family. And most people don't ask for everything up front. I usually ask for a quote first (giving them my town, zip, and state, even though just the zip would do) then if we reach a price agreement, email for paypal and adress.

People who ask for all of that all at once are either really efficient (humans are lazy by nature, remember!), or a scammer wanting all of your info up front.

Also, check their profile!!!! If they have next to nothing on their profile, they are either really new and haven't had much to do with pb... or they are a lazy scammer.

My profile: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/rosemarywheel/

Potential scammer profile (this guy tried to buy something from me a few months ago) : https://www.pinkbike.com/u/NotoTIP/

Beer

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
Thanks very much!

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
I have a frame for sale and have been getting text messages (I've since deleted my phone number) asking for details.. When I point them back here to IM me they disappear. I was instructed by mods to post phone numbers.

For your information:

407-893-2420
314-394-8490

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
Thanks for that. Some people just suck Dead Horse

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 3:35 Quote
Is Venmo a safer way to pay and accept payments? Paypal charges that silly fee. I've had good luck using Venmo myself

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
I'm not familiar with it because I've always used PayPal.

Hopefully some members in here have experience and can tell you if it's safe or not.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
holytrails wrote:
Is Venmo a safer way to pay and accept payments? Paypal charges that silly fee. I've had good luck using Venmo myself

No, Venmo doesn't have buyer protection, so if something happened to the bike before you get it, or if it's a scam, too bad. You can't really do anything about it.

It's well worth paying the 3% fee that PayPal charges to get coverage if something happens .

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
Venmo also asks for youe Social security Number right up front to create an account. Not sure if anyone else here cares about that sort of thing...

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
Cubs5412 wrote:
holytrails wrote:

No, Venmo doesn't have buyer protection, so if something happened to the bike before you get it, or if it's a scam, too bad. You can't really do anything about it.

It's well worth paying the 3% fee that PayPal charges to get coverage if something happens .

Thanks for that. Good to know.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
I bought a dropper post from http://OrbeaWild.pinkbike.com
Never heard from them again or received the item.
Now the same dropper is being advertised by
http://Bitpax.pinkbike.com
Same serial number.
Original phone number was disconnected.
Same Alabama number is used in ads by both usernames.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
Quick help please. I gotta seller who I've been talking with for the past week and finally ready to seal the deal. He txtd pics (area code from where PB says he is) this afternoon of the bike which he broke down for ease of shipment and even pic of the original purchase receipt from a month ago. Shipping will be bikeflights w/ $5k insurance to cover stated in his ad.

Nice guy in our conversations, looks legit. Ready to PayPal him the $$ and he says his partner, a woman (he gave me her name) would be sending me the invoice confirmation in her name not his on PayPal goods & services cuz he's out getting dog food. Is this a classic scam move?

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet about the deal. Price is around what he paid plus the shipping/insurance. Suddenly I'm in limbo. Could it be he's selling for someone else's? What would you do? Quick! Thanks

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
searidgerider wrote:
Quick help please. I gotta seller who I've been talking with for the past week and finally ready to seal the deal. He txtd pics (area code from where PB says he is) this afternoon of the bike which he broke down for ease of shipment and even pic of the original purchase receipt from a month ago. Shipping will be bikeflights w/ $5k insurance to cover stated in his ad.

Nice guy in our conversations, looks legit. Ready to PayPal him the $$ and he says his partner, a woman (he gave me her name) would be sending me the invoice confirmation in her name not his on PayPal goods & services cuz he's out getting dog food. Is this a classic scam move?

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet about the deal. Price is around what he paid plus the shipping/insurance. Suddenly I'm in limbo. Could it be he's selling for someone else's? What would you do? Quick! Thanks

I'd say your OK. That happens quite often. For example, im 15 and run a shop and do online sales, and my name is Isaac. But since PayPal doesn't let you have an account under 18, it's under the other owner, who's over 18, and I make that clear to the seller when sending an invoice.

You're also paying goods and services, so if anything were to happen you can always file a dispute.

I'd say you're good.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 19:39 Quote
OK thanks for the super quick response. If it wasn't on PayPal it would be a no go for sure. Think my money will survive if something goes south. Cheers

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 21:34 Quote
searidgerider wrote:
OK thanks for the super quick response. If it wasn't on PayPal it would be a no go for sure. Think my money will survive if something goes south. Cheers

Whats his pinkbike tag?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014408
Mobile Version of Website