Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly
Author Message
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 3:35 Quote
Is Venmo a safer way to pay and accept payments? Paypal charges that silly fee. I've had good luck using Venmo myself

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
I'm not familiar with it because I've always used PayPal.

Hopefully some members in here have experience and can tell you if it's safe or not.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
holytrails wrote:
Is Venmo a safer way to pay and accept payments? Paypal charges that silly fee. I've had good luck using Venmo myself

No, Venmo doesn't have buyer protection, so if something happened to the bike before you get it, or if it's a scam, too bad. You can't really do anything about it.

It's well worth paying the 3% fee that PayPal charges to get coverage if something happens .

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
Venmo also asks for youe Social security Number right up front to create an account. Not sure if anyone else here cares about that sort of thing...

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
Cubs5412 wrote:
holytrails wrote:
Is Venmo a safer way to pay and accept payments? Paypal charges that silly fee. I've had good luck using Venmo myself

No, Venmo doesn't have buyer protection, so if something happened to the bike before you get it, or if it's a scam, too bad. You can't really do anything about it.

It's well worth paying the 3% fee that PayPal charges to get coverage if something happens .

Thanks for that. Good to know.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
I bought a dropper post from http://OrbeaWild.pinkbike.com
Never heard from them again or received the item.
Now the same dropper is being advertised by
http://Bitpax.pinkbike.com
Same serial number.
Original phone number was disconnected.
Same Alabama number is used in ads by both usernames.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
Quick help please. I gotta seller who I've been talking with for the past week and finally ready to seal the deal. He txtd pics (area code from where PB says he is) this afternoon of the bike which he broke down for ease of shipment and even pic of the original purchase receipt from a month ago. Shipping will be bikeflights w/ $5k insurance to cover stated in his ad.

Nice guy in our conversations, looks legit. Ready to PayPal him the $$ and he says his partner, a woman (he gave me her name) would be sending me the invoice confirmation in her name not his on PayPal goods & services cuz he's out getting dog food. Is this a classic scam move?

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet about the deal. Price is around what he paid plus the shipping/insurance. Suddenly I'm in limbo. Could it be he's selling for someone else's? What would you do? Quick! Thanks

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
searidgerider wrote:
Quick help please. I gotta seller who I've been talking with for the past week and finally ready to seal the deal. He txtd pics (area code from where PB says he is) this afternoon of the bike which he broke down for ease of shipment and even pic of the original purchase receipt from a month ago. Shipping will be bikeflights w/ $5k insurance to cover stated in his ad.

Nice guy in our conversations, looks legit. Ready to PayPal him the $$ and he says his partner, a woman (he gave me her name) would be sending me the invoice confirmation in her name not his on PayPal goods & services cuz he's out getting dog food. Is this a classic scam move?

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet about the deal. Price is around what he paid plus the shipping/insurance. Suddenly I'm in limbo. Could it be he's selling for someone else's? What would you do? Quick! Thanks

I'd say your OK. That happens quite often. For example, im 15 and run a shop and do online sales, and my name is Isaac. But since PayPal doesn't let you have an account under 18, it's under the other owner, who's over 18, and I make that clear to the seller when sending an invoice.

You're also paying goods and services, so if anything were to happen you can always file a dispute.

I'd say you're good.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 19:39 Quote
OK thanks for the super quick response. If it wasn't on PayPal it would be a no go for sure. Think my money will survive if something goes south. Cheers

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 21:34 Quote
searidgerider wrote:
OK thanks for the super quick response. If it wasn't on PayPal it would be a no go for sure. Think my money will survive if something goes south. Cheers

Whats his pinkbike tag?

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
searidgerider wrote:
Quick help please. I gotta seller who I've been talking with for the past week and finally ready to seal the deal. He txtd pics (area code from where PB says he is) this afternoon of the bike which he broke down for ease of shipment and even pic of the original purchase receipt from a month ago. Shipping will be bikeflights w/ $5k insurance to cover stated in his ad.

Nice guy in our conversations, looks legit. Ready to PayPal him the $$ and he says his partner, a woman (he gave me her name) would be sending me the invoice confirmation in her name not his on PayPal goods & services cuz he's out getting dog food. Is this a classic scam move?

All of a sudden I'm getting cold feet about the deal. Price is around what he paid plus the shipping/insurance. Suddenly I'm in limbo. Could it be he's selling for someone else's? What would you do? Quick! Thanks

this does NOT sound legit. why not just wait till he gets back ??? To me this transaction situation should have been disclosed earlier on in your convo.
I've dealt with people like this...all golden till right at the end then some unrelated bullshit get's tossed in there (...a dogfood run !?!? wtf ?).

maybe it's just me but I'd be nervous about letting my money out there knowing I may have to fight to get it back. 2 cents

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
I just had someone reach out offering to buy my bike. I was totally suspicious and then he posted that he would send me a cashiers check and that he didn’t want to Venmo, PayPal nor Apple Pay because he was worried he would again get scammed! Sending a cashiers check to someone in good faith is a great way to get scammed - obviously, total BS. Thanks for this post. I wasn’t going to fall for it but it is helpful to understand how the scam was set up. He wanted my address so I thought maybe he would try to steal it but this makes more sense. Some People suck.

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 21:15 Quote
Magenovese wrote:
I just had someone reach out offering to buy my bike. I was totally suspicious and then he posted that he would send me a cashiers check and that he didn’t want to Venmo, PayPal nor Apple Pay because he was worried he would again get scammed! Sending a cashiers check to someone in good faith is a great way to get scammed - obviously, total BS. Thanks for this post. I wasn’t going to fall for it but it is helpful to understand how the scam was set up. He wanted my address so I thought maybe he would try to steal it but this makes more sense. Some People suck.

I would so want to give him a piece of my mind. Keeping us on our toes, these scammy (scummy, too) chaps.

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 23:37 Quote
The ol "I'll send you a cashier's check in advance for your inconvenience and send my associate to pick up the goods" routine. That's the oldest scam that started like 25 years ago. Damn. I guess they're recycling their tricks

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
Likely scam from (580) 770-523*
I got a text message today from the number above asking if a frame I have for sale is still available. I say yes and the person makes a reasonable offer. I say say that the offer depends on how we split up shipping and PayPal fees. The person says they are not in a hurry and will pay by check but I can hold it as long as it takes to clear. I'm starting to get bad feelings. They then say that they will pay for shipping and it will be picked up by the buyer's shipping agent. At this point I say no thanks, they don't need to send a check and that I will only take PayPal and ship via Bike Flights. Not surprisingly they were not interested in that deal. I have removed my cell number from the ad. I left out the last number of the cell just in case they are not a scammer but if you get a message from them I would be careful.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007098
Mobile Version of Website