close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact isaacschmidt directly
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
zgram4119 wrote:
Was messaging a guy here to buy a tool from him. I asked him for his PayPal email, and he just gave me his PayPal username. I could not find him on PayPal with just that so I asked him for his email and he got back to me with “lol nice try. You’ve been flagged as a scammer my dude”. I was able to find the username after adding @gmail.com, but I’m not sending money without confirming his account first…

My question is, will I really be marked as a scammer and will this effect my account. Not sure how the process works, but really don’t understand why he would have reported me or how pinkbike would confirm if I am a scammer.

Thanks

No you won’t be marked as a scammer , it only happens for people who actually take money and don’t provide the product as described- the seller sounds dodgy though, probably best to avoid

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 19:25 Quote
anotha one https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Robcastle/

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
VNIMAL wrote:
anotha one https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Robcastle/

Details please dawg.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
traded bike parts with user 808palms, he got mine but never got his, ghosted me now for 2 weeks, no reply, message says unread, is he dead? anybody knows this guy?

Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/bribassz9/

Just messaged me with the same verbatim scammer pitch as usual. Copy/pasted my wtb ad title and gave some random email address to contact

I've given up on these users getting banned

Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
anotha one.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3226251/

This guy has been doing this for about 2 years now. He favorites 3 pics, sells a hardtail and then tries to sell full-sus bikes for way under what they're worth. Also has the same dog quality pictures. Guy needs a hardware ban or you really need to add a rep system, don't allow people to make ad's on fresh accounts, confirm ID's ect. A lot can be done but it seems like nothing is.

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 3:50 Quote
EDIT: Sorted, many thanks to admins!

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 11:19 Quote
I've probably answered my own question here, so i'll cut it short.

Selling my bike. Someone has offered good money. Said that they can collect with cash... all good so far (although I would propose meet somewhere with lots of cameras like a petrol forecourt/services)

I am nervous because 1) the prospective buyer has a brand new account - like a day old and 2) is asking me for the frame number.

They have no profile picture, no posts on PB or anything and the account was created 9th Jan 2022.

walk away?

(oh and sorry if i've posted in the wrong place - please let me know and i'll delete this and put it elsewhere. TIA)

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
baddevotions wrote:

Selling my bike. Someone has offered good money. Said that they can collect with cash... all good so far (although I would propose meet somewhere with lots of cameras like a petrol forecourt/services)

I am nervous because 1) the prospective buyer has a brand new account - like a day old and 2) is asking me for the frame number.

They have no profile picture, no posts on PB or anything and the account was created 9th Jan 2022.

walk away?

(oh and sorry if i've posted in the wrong place - please let me know and i'll delete this and put it elsewhere. TIA)

Probably wants the # to check if it's stolen. I would give them a chance, and like you stated, just meet up somewhere busy with lots of cameras...you could even suggest meeting outside a police station if that makes you more comfortable. Good luck.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
baddevotions wrote:

walk away?

New account doesn't always mean scammer. They may of created the account because they simply want to buy a bike. Frame number info is them just protecting themselves.

I will normally meet up at service station along motorways where I know there are cameras, mention it to them as well, if they are OK with it then that normally means they are OK. Only take cash and make sure you get their car reg number. I normally find scammers dont like to meet up in person, they would prefer to scam people from a distance and anonymously.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Thanks for the advice both. I know that a new account doesn't always mean scammer. I'll prod and ask questions and see where it goes from there.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 14:05 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
baddevotions wrote:

walk away?

New account doesn't always mean scammer. They may of created the account because they simply want to buy a bike. Frame number info is them just protecting themselves.

I will normally meet up at service station along motorways where I know there are cameras, mention it to them as well, if they are OK with it then that normally means they are OK. Only take cash and make sure you get their car reg number. I normally find scammers dont like to meet up in person, they would prefer to scam people from a distance and anonymously.

^^ Exactly. I originally joined Pinkbike so I could inquire about a for sale ad as well. That's why a lot of people first sign up. I agree that scammers usually prefer anonymity too. Take what precautions you can, but I'd give them a chance.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 10:32 Quote
Username : Carlos

AD: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3025794/

Reason: Carlos has scammed me, I paid for an item(180m rotors x2) which he did not send and is now ignoring my private messages and requests for refund.

Payment sent Dec. 18. Refund request sent Jan. 5,6 and 14. Last reply from Carlos Jan. 7th.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006322
Mobile Version of Website