What is the best place to ride downhill in the south of England ?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is the best place to ride downhill in the south of England ?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 26, 2013 at 13:19 Quote
I would like to know what you think is the best place to ride in the south of England ?

Posted: Jun 29, 2013 at 13:35 Quote
I've just started riding DH and currently live in London so i've been asking the same question. PORC near Tonbridge looks to be pretty damn good from online research and there are a few more Parky/Cross country sites in Surrey. Nothing i can find with a good hill and any sort of uplift thought. Cwm Carn, just over the Welsh border isn't too far depending where you are and is awesome. Any you know of, please share back.

Cheers,

Taff

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 9:54 Quote
if your in london get yourself to aston hill. got to be the best dh venue around london.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 13:49 Quote
What about UK bike park?

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 10:18 Quote
You could ride the uk bike park on a BMX. Don't get me wrong, it's good fun but if you want proper DH go elsewhere. Aston hill is ok for a short track. The gravity hub at Gawton is supposed to be quite good.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:41 Quote
Wayne-Mitchell wrote:
You could ride the uk bike park on a BMX. Don't get me wrong, it's good fun but if you want proper DH go elsewhere. Aston hill is ok for a short track. The gravity hub at Gawton is supposed to be quite good.

OK I was interested as I'm moving down next week and thought my rig would be to much

Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 5:35 Quote
Cheers for all the advice. Anyone off during the week and want to lift share? I've got a shitty old Volvo V70 to throw the bikes in.

Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 19:33 Quote
where are you from? Hindhead pretty sick

Posted: Sep 1, 2013 at 1:59 Quote
Gawton is amazing, great for challenging what you can do, Aston is fast and fun but beware the push up, PORC if you like jumps n drops, Tidworth fun and still getting bigger, but for variety Bike Park Wales is simply the place to go, fast, rocky and as much air as you can possibly want.

Posted: Sep 2, 2013 at 1:55 Quote
Gawton is amazing, i live 20mins down the road so its my local! Tavi woods is also pretty good which is 5mins from Gawton. Please be aware that Gawton is a pay and ride track. Only costs £5 to ride both gawyon and tavi woods.

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 18:45 Quote
A bit off topic but i can't fathom the people complaining about the £5 to ride BPW (for the record i am yet to go). I just don't get it, when you pay a few thousand for a bike and gear how can you complain about such a paltry sum for so many professionally maintained trails plus other facilities. You're insured and if you break an ankle on the hill they are going to get you down and into the A and E room. I mean PORC is a £5 and Aston hill is £7 and i don't begrudge paying either of those, they are worth every penny.

I've heard comments along the lines of "other places just charge for parking". Yes but BPW don't charge for parking, it costs £2.80 an hour to park Pay and Display on my street for f*&$'s sake.

I really hope this place succeeds, it seems like the market in SW is potentially a bit saturated after being so under serviced for so many years. I think it may take a while for the market to grow a little to catch up, DH is fundamentally expensive and there isn't a lot of £ in most of South Wales, Cwn Carn is already noticeably less busy.

Posted: Sep 5, 2013 at 8:36 Quote
expat-taff wrote:
A bit off topic but i can't fathom the people complaining about the £5 to ride BPW (for the record i am yet to go). I just don't get it, when you pay a few thousand for a bike and gear how can you complain about such a paltry sum for so many professionally maintained trails plus other facilities. You're insured and if you break an ankle on the hill they are going to get you down and into the A and E room. I mean PORC is a £5 and Aston hill is £7 and i don't begrudge paying either of those, they are worth every penny.

I've heard comments along the lines of "other places just charge for parking". Yes but BPW don't charge for parking, it costs £2.80 an hour to park Pay and Display on my street for f*&$'s sake.

I really hope this place succeeds, it seems like the market in SW is potentially a bit saturated after being so under serviced for so many years. I think it may take a while for the market to grow a little to catch up, DH is fundamentally expensive and there isn't a lot of £ in most of South Wales, Cwn Carn is already noticeably less busy.

sounds like those people are just tossers Smile

5 quid for a days riding is such a good deal that it's not even worth questioning !

I they actually thought for a second they would realise that for the park to expand they need money

Posted: Sep 5, 2013 at 12:32 Quote
Gawton is run by volunteers, the amazing work these guys do in thier spare time warrants seroius credit.
Im a club member and membership is a meagre £30 a year!!!

Posted: Sep 5, 2013 at 14:47 Quote
dan2207 wrote:
if your in london get yourself to aston hill. got to be the best dh venue around london.

i second this! Aston hill is probably one of the best along with woburnsands and chicksands but the latter are a couple hours further north

Posted: Sep 5, 2013 at 15:57 Quote
expat-taff wrote:

It's £5 to enter without uplift. If you want to push up, which would takes ages...even at a steady pace. The uplift is more on top of that, think it's £25 for a day or £4 per run if there's space.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016305
Mobile Version of Website