What is the best place to ride downhill in the south of England ?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is the best place to ride downhill in the south of England ?
Posted: Sep 9, 2013 at 18:21 Quote
anotherreece wrote:
expat-taff wrote:
A bit off topic but i can't fathom the people complaining about the £5 to ride BPW (for the record i am yet to go). I just don't get it, when you pay a few thousand for a bike and gear how can you complain about such a paltry sum for so many professionally maintained trails plus other facilities. You're insured and if you break an ankle on the hill they are going to get you down and into the A and E room. I mean PORC is a £5 and Aston hill is £7 and i don't begrudge paying either of those, they are worth every penny.

I've heard comments along the lines of "other places just charge for parking". Yes but BPW don't charge for parking, it costs £2.80 an hour to park Pay and Display on my street for f*&$'s sake.

I really hope this place succeeds, it seems like the market in SW is potentially a bit saturated after being so under serviced for so many years. I think it may take a while for the market to grow a little to catch up, DH is fundamentally expensive and there isn't a lot of £ in most of South Wales, Cwn Carn is already noticeably less busy.

It's £5 to enter without uplift. If you want to push up, which would takes ages...even at a steady pace. The uplift is more on top of that, think it's £25 for a day or £4 per run if there's space.

So the cost of parking at other venues usually includes uplift? That's news to me.

Back on topic, i tried Aston Hill a few times and it's the most fun you can have in the SE with your clothes on. PORC is good too but a bit less DH and more freeride. Thanks for the advice, Hindhead, Woburn and maybe Surrey hills on the cards for next time i'm back in the UK

Posted: Sep 10, 2013 at 12:51 Quote
I have just started DH biking and I live in south west england, the best around here is PORC penhurst is only a 10 minute drive from me so it is not an issue. Once I am all suited and booted I will probably try out swinley woods which isnt too far and then london. I think they would be your best bet at the moment.

Good luck mate! Smile

Posted: Sep 10, 2013 at 22:08 Quote
Tidworth freeride has recently opened. this place has a number of short DH tracks, some great 4x type jumps and loads of dirt jumps. great fun if you like to get airborn!

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 at 8:58 Quote
Tidworth is great and only an hour out of London and a fiver all day, Swinley is local to me and only XC, a few bigger features, but well worth the trip, loads to hone your skills and you only pay for parking, £4 all day.

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 at 9:45 Quote
slope wrote:
Whistler!!

Because most people can afford a £1000 ($1600) flight to Canada!

This is for local riding In the uk.

Posted: Sep 11, 2013 at 10:55 Quote
NineOneSix wrote:
slope wrote:
Whistler!!

Fookin mericans! Whip

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 at 17:54 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
NineOneSix wrote:
slope wrote:
Whistler!!

Fookin mericans! Whip
Whistler is in Canada

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 at 23:46 Quote
davidweisschadel wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
NineOneSix wrote:

Fookin mericans! Whip
Whistler is in Canada

He's talking about the dude who said whistler, not whistler's location.

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 at 0:36 Quote
NineOneSix wrote:
davidweisschadel wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:

Fookin mericans! Whip
Whistler is in Canada

Yes, indeed I was. And I know where whistler is..... Duh....

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 at 7:10 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
NineOneSix wrote:
davidweisschadel wrote:

Whistler is in Canada

Yes, indeed I was. And I know where whistler is..... Duh....
lol

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 at 12:54 Quote
If you go up aston, Going there when it's wet is not the best idea. The mud up there is something special. It's either claggy, or really slippy. The push up is no fun in the mud, Ive ended up walking up the road before, Once i managed to get halfway up to get on it.

Posted: Sep 15, 2013 at 13:02 Quote
captain-chris-stc wrote:
If you go up aston, Going there when it's wet is not the best idea. The mud up there is something special. It's either claggy, or really slippy. The push up is no fun in the mud, Ive ended up walking up the road before, Once i managed to get halfway up to get on it.

Agree 100% with this completely, went to PORC today, was a little muddy, but was an awesome day.

Best place in the rain is Woborn sands or Chicksands. They don't bog up at all Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015051
Mobile Version of Website