Help with awkward WTB rear hub

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help with awkward WTB rear hub
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 13:47 Quote
Hi, I'm having real trouble with my WTB rear hub on my very old dual duty fr wheel.
Basically, it's hard to describe but the previous owner had bought an axle mounted derailleur after snapping the derailleur hanger and he also uses some funny weird axle that I need to use a washer to keep the wheel on.

The back wheel will simply rip out on any slightly rocky dh sections, especially on jumps, its done it 3 times now, wrecking spokes in the process.

I've taken the real wheel off and strangely enough, there is only one small hub bearing/bolt that I can unscrew by hand and the whole free hub comes apart, leaving the cassette and half a free hub on one side with a hub axle which is NOT the wheel axle and the wheel, with the other half of the free hub embedded in it. I have no idea of this type of hub/free hub but now comes my real problem.

The hub axle that I was talking about has a hex bolt on one end and this sticks slightly out of the end of the cassette, this is perfectly smooth however it is against bare metal of my frame so it will slide easily even under pressure, thus resulting in the wheel slipping out as it has done before. My question is should I just scrap all this crap and get a whole new rear wheel set?

I'll try get some pics in a bit.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 10:30 Quote
That looks like a broken freehub. I'm no expert though, just slept at a Holiday Inn.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57 Quote
I'm not sure it is because I don't see how it would be broken as there are no cracks/broken bits. It kinda seems to be a built-in free hub and cassette combo, very strange whatever it is.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011746
Mobile Version of Website